Topic locked

Re: Williamhill.com UK Championship Semi Final Discussion.

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:It was a terrific performance from Shaun Murphy. Nothing to be taken from him. He deserves only praise for the way he won.
But for all those who would be tempted to tourist off Ali, it was clear for all to see how unwell he was - his krohn disease clearly taking a huge toll out of him; it's a very painful condition - and when someone brought up the subject he couldn't handle it any further and collapsed into tears.
He's not a moaner, he's an unwell person who battles hard to do his job the best he can despite his problems. It's hard to keep emotions at check all the time.

He was well enough to win 8 frames!!

Ali went super negitive, it was unreal. The most negitive I have seen from a player in a very long time!

Shaun was pure class in his come back, but he took his shots whilst Ali never tried to win the game...and he knew that after!

Postby Monique

Casey wrote:
Monique wrote:It was a terrific performance from Shaun Murphy. Nothing to be taken from him. He deserves only praise for the way he won.
But for all those who would be tempted to tourist off Ali, it was clear for all to see how unwell he was - his krohn disease clearly taking a huge toll out of him; it's a very painful condition - and when someone brought up the subject he couldn't handle it any further and collapsed into tears.
He's not a moaner, he's an unwell person who battles hard to do his job the best he can despite his problems. It's hard to keep emotions at check all the time.

He was well enough to win 8 frames!!

Ali went super negitive, it was unreal. The most negitive I have seen from a player in a very long time!

Shaun was pure class in his come back, but he took his shots whilst Ali never tried to win the game...and he knew that after!

Sorry Casey but that's nonsense. Yes Shaun was pure class. But Ali was unwell and he has been for the whole tournament. I'm not writing this to "excuse" his defeat, but to explain his collapse in press room. My point is that it's only too easy to brand a person a "moaner". When someone is unwell and in pain day after day for weeks and months on the trot it's hard to be in a positive state of mind and it's a credit to Ali how hard he tries at the table.

As for Ali being ultra negative, well I disagree. From 8-4 up, he turned down 2 shots and missed one. That's all. He has not been all attack as Shaun was, but he certainly wasn't being negative and the long red he took and got to get in first in the decider is evidence of it.

I have no idea why you dislike Ali so much.

Postby Witz78

if he was that unwell he wouldnt have went 8-4 up

infact he wouldnt have even made the semis

his illness didnt just suddenly kick in during the interval

he went into his shell during the last session and was playing not to lose, rather than to win

Postby Casey

I don't 'dislike Ali'. I dislike his playing style and his table demeanour. He played extremely well to go 8-4 up and then went super tight and it cost him whilst Murphy got stronger and stronger.

For me, he is someone that has overachieved in the game.

Postby Monique

Witz78 wrote:if he was that unwell he wouldnt have went 8-4 up

he went into his shell during the last session and was playing not to lose, rather than to win

No it didn't kick suddenly during the interval. Ali has been unwell and still played, even played well. He's not the first and will not be the last player to play through illness or pain. I didn't see anyone denying that Mark Selby was in pain when he played in Beijing last March despite him winning his first round game. Nobody said that Allen wasn't depressed when he still managed to win 2 games in the WC 2011. Why, then when it's about Ali, is the attitude different? Ali is a far better player and a far tougher competitor than you are giving him credit for.

Postby Smart

Monique wrote:
Witz78 wrote:if he was that unwell he wouldnt have went 8-4 up

No it didn't kick suddenly during the interval. Ali has been unwell and still played, even played well. He's not the first and will not be the last player to play through illness or pain. I didn't see anyone denying that Mark Selby was in pain when he played in Beijing last March despite him winning his first round game. Nobody said that Allen wasn't depressed when he still managed to win 2 games in the WC 2011. Why, then when it's about Ali, is the attitude different? Ali is a far better player and a far tougher competitor than you are giving him credit for.

ALI went into his shell moreso than in the rest of the tournament when the score reached 8-4. He clammed up, and was unable to kill the match off. His negative approach from that point was something that Murphy noticed and he went (aided by being in the last chance saloon syndrome) on the attack. The combination of one guy going all negative and the other going all attack was quite something to witness.

Postby Monique

Skullman wrote:4-1 Selby. Selby not his best this frame but fights so well. Can't be behind this session but should try and extend his lead. Aim for 6-2, maybe even 7-1.

Selby still played some awesome shots in this frame. That cut to pot the pink in the top left pocket with position on the red on the top cushion for instance was remarkable if not spectacular.
But neither player seems to get in any sort of rhythm.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:Of course Snooker needs Ronnie but you're never going get some people on here to admit that because they happen to like bores such as Selby.

you and selby has a lot in common then both of you boring

Postby Alpha

Jewell wrote:Of course Snooker needs Ronnie but you're never going get some people on here to admit that because they happen to like bores such as Selby.

Snooker does not NEED anyone.

Postby Skullman

6-2 Selby. Nice solid performance from him. Nothing brilliant but enough to get a good lead against Mavis. Of course, the way this tournament's going, Mavis will probably mount a massive comeback in the second session.

Postby Wildey

Alpha wrote:

Alex Higgins once said when he was on the verge of a Ban

"Can Snooker Face Life without me"

answer to that was Yes

players will come and players will go otherwise we would have a Sport that has no future.

The Legend of Ronnie will live on But his legend status wont mean rubbish unless the Sport moves on with other players

Postby Alpha

Wild WC wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Alex Higgins once said when he was on the verge of a Ban

"Can Snooker Face Life without me"

answer to that was Yes

players will come and players will go otherwise we would have a Sport that has no future.

The Legend of Ronnie will live on But his legend status wont mean donkey doo unless the Sport moves on with other players

That's what Ronnie fans don't understand, he's made his mark on the sport and has nothing left to prove. It's time for Trump, Allen and co to step up to the plate before its too late.

Postby Monique

I can't see any way back for Mavis from here, but I hope he can relax a bit, play for pride and show more of what he is capable of. Terry Griffiths is around and I'm sure he will be with Davis during the inter-session.

Postby Monique

Alpha wrote:That's what Ronnie fans don't understand, he's made his mark on the sport and has nothing left to prove. It's time for Trump, Allen and co to step up to the plate before its too late.

correction: it's what SOME Ronnie fans don't understand.

Postby Witz78

yes hes made his mark but you could say that of anyone whos achieved something that they might as well retire cos theyve made a mark and let someone else have a chance of winning and making their mark.

the fact is Ronnie isnt washed up the way Hendry was when he retired. Ronnie is World Champion and COULD STILL be making his mark on the sport. Thats the big difference.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:yes hes made his mark but you could say that of anyone whos achieved something that they might as well retire cos theyve made a mark and let someone else have a chance of winning and making their mark.

the fact is Ronnie isnt washed up the way Hendry was when he retired. Ronnie is World Champion and COULD STILL be making his mark on the sport. Thats the big difference.

Ronnie obviously feels washed up otherwise he will be out there playing.

if he comes back great if he dont thanks for the memories enjoy the rest of your life.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:How do you know how Ronnie feels? Are you Mystic Meg in disguise or something?

Ronnie just won the WC so I don't see why he would feel washed up.

but he feels unable to play to the standards he feels he should be hence hes not playing.

god haven't we heard of Ronnies state of mind long enough from ronnie fans to have a pretty well informed opinion of how hes feeling ..