Topic locked

Re: Star Xing Pai Haikou World Open Semi Final Discussion!!

Postby Andre147

The best Allen has ever played I reckon... so glad he put Selby out... now he is the clear favourite... just hope Lee wins his match so that we can have a cracker... :-) :-)

Very well played Mark Allen :D :D :D :hatoff: :hatoff: :hatoff:

Postby Skullman

Andre147 wrote:The best Allen has ever played I reckon... so glad he put Selby out... now he is the clear favourite... just hope Lee wins his match so that we can have a cracker... :-) :-)

Why don't you like Selby? Is this cause of the Ronnie thing?

Postby Odrl

Wild wrote:Selby has done nothing wrong in the comeback Mark Allen has been flying all credit must be given to Allen here

Agreed, Selby didn't really play too many bad shots, not memorable ones anyway. It just happened that Allen was 4-0 stronger in that last part of the match. He really raised his safety game, even forced a couple of errors, and his scoring was excellent, just as it was in his comeback against Trump.

He really plays well with his back to the wall these days, I think he is up there with the best in that regard. He will surely fancy his chances in the final now. If a win like this doesn't give you some confidence and inspiration, nothing will. :-)

I can only hope the second semi-final is as good as this one. Tough ask, as this was probably the best semi-final of the season so far. :-)

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
Andre147 wrote:The best Allen has ever played I reckon... so glad he put Selby out... now he is the clear favourite... just hope Lee wins his match so that we can have a cracker... :-) :-)

Why don't you like Selby? Is this cause of the Ronnie thing?

Ronnie has nothing to do with it. Just never liked his style of play, plus Allen is also one of my favourite players.

But even so, I think Selby played great, didnt do a lot wrong from 5-2 up, took on that risky plant and then that insane black to left middle, but that was it.. very uncharacteristic from him, but anyway... Allen played really well, and deserved to win :-D

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:I think if Milkins wins the second semi, Allen gets the title. If Lee wins it will be him.

If Lee wins (which I honestly hope so) then I expect it to be a very close final, and indeed a very good one... would be very though to predict the final outcome if Lee comes through, though I would slightly favour Allen, remarkable comeback from him against Judd and specialy now against Selby.. wonderful stuff from him :hatoff:
Last edited by Andre147 on 03 Mar 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Casey

Skullman wrote:I think if Milkins wins the second semi, Allen gets the title. If Lee wins it will be him.

I would be worried if Milkins beats Lee - For Mark playing Stephen in the final he would be bang up for it. Against Rob, he would be a huge favourite and the pressure would be right on.

Either way there is so much riding on tomorrows match for Mark, he is coming 26 and this could be a massive kick start for him.

Postby Skullman

Andre147 wrote:

If lee win (which I honestly hope so) then I expect it to be a very close final, and indeed a very good one... would be very though to predict the final outcome if Lee comes through, though i woul slightly favour Allen, remarkable comeback from him against Judd and specialy now against Selby.. wonderful stuff from him :hatoff:

Well depends how Lee plays. But it happens so often that person who looked best in their semi final victory ends up losing the final.

Postby Andre147

Casey wrote:

I would be worried if Milkins beats Lee - For Mark playing Stephen in the final he would be bang up for it. Against Rob, he would be a huge favourite and the pressure would be right on.

Either way there is so much riding on tomorrows match for Mark, he is coming 26 and this could be a massive kick start for him.

Agree, especialy when you said that if Milkins comes through, the pressure will be all on Mark, and that might affect his game

Postby Roland

From 5-2 down Mark Allen was pretty damn good. He froze Selby out for 4 frames, I think he attempted 3 pots and got one of them in the decider and got unlucky not to land on a colour. Allen rode his luck but when the nudges went his way he took advantage. Fair play, great performance.

Postby hendry_fan

Sonny wrote:And for the record, people who call Selby negative are ill-informed.

<ok> Sonny <ok>

*Mark Allen* 6-5 Mark Selby

Well TBH,i hate to have to write it,but,.....

,.....well done Allen!!!!,what a comeback!!!!. :hatoff:

The last 4 frames the roles were totaly reversed.Selby actualy got a bit of his own medicine so to speak,as he,s usualy well known for not givin his opponents much chances when he does his comebacks and usualy gets over the line when he,s that far in front.

One of the few chances he had in the last 4 frames was the missed plant he attempted in the 10th frame,which was very tricky indeed and the black to the middle in the decider which he missed it by a country mile which then let Allen to clinch the frame and match.

What a chance Allen has now to win his first ever ranker!.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Allen :-D :D

I watched a stream from 4-2 Selby. What a performance. He truly deserves his first ranking title now.

Selby didn't get a clear cut chance in the last four frames he just couldn't force a chance.

But it's only fair that the Selby learn how it feels like to be on the wrong end of a comeback.

indeed, cant recall a time when Selby was that far in front and ended up losing it... a taste of his own medicine :wave: :wave:

Postby Skullman

Andre147 wrote:

I watched a stream from 4-2 Selby. What a performance. He truly deserves his first ranking title now.

Selby didn't get a clear cut chance in the last four frames he just couldn't force a chance.

But it's only fair that the Selby learn how it feels like to be on the wrong end of a comeback.

indeed, cant recall a time when Selby was that far in front and ended up losing it... a taste of his own medicine :wave: :wave:

The only time I can think of was World Quarters 2009.

Postby SnookerFan

Could this be Mark Allen's tournament? I mean, I hate to be one of those people who makes such premature statements, but as the commentators were saying, there was a blue that was a big shot in that match. Almost a turning point. 3-0 down to Judd, and he won. 5-2 down to Selby, and he won.

When I look back at the China Open last year, you could tell it was the tournament of Judd almost half way through it. When we look back at this year's World Open, will we say the same thing?

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

you´re right, was 12-10 up I think and lost it against Higgins... made 5 centuries in that match, and still lost it.. one of the best matches I´ve ever seen that 2009 Worlds quarter-final..

Postby Skullman

SnookerFan wrote:Could this be Mark Allen's tournament? I mean, I hate to be one of those people who makes such premature statements, but as the commentators were saying, there was a blue that was a big shot in that match. Almost a turning point. 3-0 down to Judd, and he won. 5-2 down to Selby, and he won.

When I look back at the China Open last year, you could tell it was the tournament of Judd almost half way through it. When we look back at this year's World Open, will we say the same thing?

I thought Germany was Maguire's tournament and it was. Until the second session of the final. Could be the same here.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Could this be Mark Allen's tournament? I mean, I hate to be one of those people who makes such premature statements, but as the commentators were saying, there was a blue that was a big shot in that match. Almost a turning point. 3-0 down to Judd, and he won. 5-2 down to Selby, and he won.

I thought Germany was Maguire's tournament and it was. Until the second session of the final. Could be the same here.

Not sure about that one... I always thought that after that Higginson victory it was Ronnie´s tournament, and it proved me right...I only had doubts when Mags led Ronnie 6-3, especially after what he did in the 1st session..

Regarding this tourney, I can only see Allen losing if stephen comes through, even though milkins might put extra pressure on him to perform as I said earlier

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:

It often feels like the two finalists are meant to win the tournament ...

Postby boris_the_butcher

Loved Allen's comeback, didn't show any nerves and played like he was meant to win that match. I know he lost the frame but the blue and pink he potted in the 7th were all you need to know about his 'no guts no glory' approach. He's a far more interesting player than Trump.

As for Selby not being negative, he put a few reds safe on the cushion when he was about 50 points up, many players would do the same but it was a negative move. I noticed Joe Johnson questioning some of his shot selections as well.

I can watch the final now.

Postby Andre147

boris_the_butcher wrote:Loved Allen's comeback, didn't show any nerves and played like he was meant to win that match. I know he lost the frame but the blue and pink he potted in the 7th were all you need to know about his 'no guts no glory' approach. He's a far more interesting player than Trump.

As for Selby not being negative, he put a few reds safe on the cushion when he was about 50 points up, many players would do the same but it was a negative move. I noticed Joe Johnson questioning some of his shot selections as well.

I can watch the final now.

You couldnt stand it if selby was in it I reckon... I know the feeling..

Postby Roland

Skullman wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Wasn't he 8-2 down in that match? Got to 12-11 ahead and missed a tricky plant when going for the match. Didn't get another sniff.

Worth remember other performances against Selby in big matches:

UK semi v O'Sullivan - Ronnie got a 147 in the deciding frame
World final - pulled off when in the ascendancy allowing Higgins to regroup for the final session
China Open final - hoover mode in full flow, Judd Trump didn't miss a thing and matched him for safety
German Masters final - Williams was superb, Selby was playing very well and didnt' do much wrong
Masters final - the one he lost against Ronnie, played superb, almost levelled at 8-8 but was unlucky not to do so (would have been favourite at 8-8 the way the match was going)
World semi - one of the best matches I've witnessed and Graeme Dott played above himself to win, Selby was in great form

Of course he's won his fair share of big matches but those ones stick out as losses when the opponent raised their game sensing the danger of hoover mode.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:5 minutes and a rerack already. I have a feeling this semi won't be as high quality as the morning.

Would be very difficult to top that semi though.. one of, if not the best this season