Topic locked

Re: Star Xing Pai Haikou World Open Semi Final Discussion!!

Postby Roland

boris_the_butcher wrote:As for Selby not being negative, he put a few reds safe on the cushion when he was about 50 points up, many players would do the same but it was a negative move. I noticed Joe Johnson questioning some of his shot selections as well.

Don't agree with that. He was 4-2 ahead and needed one red but didn't land on one and with the table open for the counter it would be a silly shot in retrospect to take on a difficult shot and find yourself 4-3 instead of 5-2 moments later. He was too positive in that frame, taking on a yellow to green pocket when he had an easy snooker behind blue to gain the initiative and in the end he won the frame anyway. After that two positive shots cost him - the plant to corner and black to middle.

Postby Skullman

Sonny wrote:
boris_the_butcher wrote:As for Selby not being negative, he put a few reds safe on the cushion when he was about 50 points up, many players would do the same but it was a negative move. I noticed Joe Johnson questioning some of his shot selections as well.

Don't agree with that. He was 4-2 ahead and needed one red but didn't land on one and with the table open for the counter it would be a silly shot in retrospect to take on a difficult shot and find yourself 4-3 instead of 5-2 moments later. He was too positive in that frame, taking on a yellow to green pocket when he had an easy snooker behind blue to gain the initiative and in the end he won the frame anyway. After that two positive shots cost him - the plant to corner and black to middle.

Seems to be Selby's problem. His shot selection is normally pretty good, but sometimes he plays a little bit too positive or negative. Although, I did think that the plant and black to middle were right shots.

Postby Roland

I don't blame him for going for either. He couldn't played for the re-rack but chose to go for the plant, and the black was smelly given the heavy conditions but it was all out for the win as you saw from the leave when he missed. Gutted for Selby but hat off to Allen.

Postby Casey

Skullman wrote:Meanwhile, Milkins in with a good long pot and in amongst the balls. If he does win this match, I hope he can maintain his level for the final.

Lee has been in such great form this season, a 4 time ranking winner he knows how to win these things.

Postby Odrl

Sonny wrote:Wasn't he 8-2 down in that match? Got to 12-11 ahead and missed a tricky plant when going for the match. Didn't get another sniff.

You must be thinking of something else... That was the match he opened with three centuries, but Higgins fought back extremely well to level it early. After that, Selby never really got more than a couple of frames ahead, and Higgins pretty much played perfect snooker from 10-12 down, won the decider in one visit as well. :-)

Postby Skullman

Casey wrote:
Skullman wrote:Meanwhile, Milkins in with a good long pot and in amongst the balls. If he does win this match, I hope he can maintain his level for the final.

Lee has been in such great form this season, a 4 time ranking winner he knows how to win these things.

Think it's all the playing everyone's been doing. The new tournaments haven't just been good for the new up and coming players, it's been good for the journeymen like Mark Davis and the ex-elite like Stevens and Lee.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I don't blame him for going for either. He couldn't played for the re-rack but chose to go for the plant, and the black was smelly given the heavy conditions but it was all out for the win as you saw from the leave when he missed. Gutted for Selby but hat off to Allen.

as Skullman said give a dog a name and hes with it for life no matter what..

jimmy white been labeled a bottler based on one frame and one shot that infamous black. sod what else hes won or done.

Postby Alpha

Selby's made 5o centuries so this season and I think he made 34 last season. If he's a negative player then I'd hate to see Selby at his most positive!
Anyway Selby really unlucky to lose today, he only had three half chances from 5-2 up. Allen just totally froze him out.
Not bothered who wins the final now, just hope it's a good one.

Postby Skullman

Alpha wrote:Selby's made 5o centuries so this season and I think he made 34 last season. If he's a negative player then I'd hate to see Selby at his most positive!
Anyway Selby really unlucky to lose today, he only had three half chances from 5-2 up. Allen just totally froze him out.
Not bothered who wins the final now, just hope it's a good one.

He made 54 this season and 54 last season, but who counting apart from me? Hard to believe that around half of Selby's career centuries have been this decade.

Postby Roland

Odrl wrote:
Sonny wrote:Wasn't he 8-2 down in that match? Got to 12-11 ahead and missed a tricky plant when going for the match. Didn't get another sniff.

You must be thinking of something else... That was the match he opened with three centuries, but Higgins fought back extremely well to level it early. After that, Selby never really got more than a couple of frames ahead, and Higgins pretty much played perfect snooker from 10-12 down, won the decider in one visit as well. :-)

I think you're confusing with the Cope match the round before. Selby was definitely a lot of frames behind, something like 7-2 or 8-2, I know because I was there!

Postby Roland

Casey wrote:It was 4-4 & 8-8 after the first two sessions. Nip and tuck the whole way.

Sure it was 7-3 or 8-3 then. He was definitely 4 or 5 frames behind at one point, I'd put my life on it!

Postby Skullman

kostasmad wrote:Last time Milkins progressed to the semis, he blew it big time.

It was against Stevens in the Irish Masters and he lost from being 8-5 up and 50-0 in front!

He lost from in front to STEVENS rofl How long ago was this? Meanwhile, Lee in again with a cracking long red. He's brought his Aussie-slayer form today.

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:
Casey wrote:It was 4-4 & 8-8 after the first two sessions. Nip and tuck the whole way.

Sure it was 7-3 or 8-3 then. He was definitely 4 or 5 frames behind at one point, I'd put my life on it!

Casey is dead right.. it was very close until the final session, then Selby pulled away for 12-10, only to see Higgins win it by 13-12... and Selby opened the first session with 3 tons in a row, then Higgins also made a break of 141, and they were level at 4-4, then 8 all...

Postby kostasmad

Skullman wrote:
kostasmad wrote:Last time Milkins progressed to the semis, he blew it big time.

It was against Stevens in the Irish Masters and he lost from being 8-5 up and 50-0 in front!

He lost from in front to STEVENS rofl How long ago was this? Meanwhile, Lee in again with a cracking long red. He's brought his Aussie-slayer form today.

I think it was in 2005 before the WC that Stevens lost to Murphy. In the final Stevens trailer Ronnie 6-1 i think and fought back to eventually lose 10-8.

Postby Roland

Andre147 wrote:
Sonny wrote:

Casey is dead right.. it was very close until the final session, then Selby pulled away for 12-10, only to see Higgins win it by 13-12... and Selby opened the first session with 3 tons in a row, then Higgins also made a break of 141, and they were level at 4-4, then 8 all...

:irk: