Topic locked

Re: Star Xing Pai Haikou World Open Last 16 Discussion!!

Postby Wildey

snooky147 wrote:I'm not slating anyone mate, just pointing out that a Robbo v Selby final would be a potentially slow one. Again no one knows more than me how slow 2006 was. 2010 was going along nicely until it got bogged down, primarily by Neil but again i'm not slating him per se. I suppose you do what you feel you have to to get the win and he deserved his. I guess my ultimate point is that it pains me when players curb their natural instincts. I also respect the role that having a good safety game plays.

natrual instincts is one thing but it dont put your name on trophies if it aint working.

Jimmy White had more Success after Curbing his Natrual instincts a bit.

Postby Muppet147

Wild wrote:
snooky147 wrote:I'm not slating anyone mate, just pointing out that a Robbo v Selby final would be a potentially slow one. Again no one knows more than me how slow 2006 was. 2010 was going along nicely until it got bogged down, primarily by Neil but again i'm not slating him per se. I suppose you do what you feel you have to to get the win and he deserved his. I guess my ultimate point is that it pains me when players curb their natural instincts. I also respect the role that having a good safety game plays.

natrual instincts is one thing but it dont put your name on trophies if it aint working.

Jimmy White had more Success after Curbing his Natrual instincts a bit.

True but he was still good to watch. He played a lot of positive attacking safety shots whereas the likes of Selby and Robbo play negative safeties.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I'm writing this from my hotel room in Gran Canaria. I didn't watch any of the snooker this week but I read some of the posts here.

It sounds like this is one of those strange tournaments with many top seeds struggling and not ideal playing conditions. The result that surprised me most was Ding losing heavily in the first round, I thought he would kick on after his win last week.

Lets see what will happen in the next couple of rounds, I will look up the results as soon as possible.

Postby Wildey

Thursday 1st of March

6.30am GMT

Mark Allen v Judd Trump TV
Michael Holt v Mark Selby TV
Shaun Murphy v Joe Perry
Mark King v Tom Ford

11.30am GMT

Jin Long v Robert Milkins TV
John Higgins v Jamie Cope TV
Stephen Lee v Neil Robertson
Marcus Campbell v Graeme Dott

Postby snooky147

Once again, shoved onto outside table. Can't blame the chinese though for wanting their player covered. From a rankings perspective though its a disgrace, the two matches on tv should be the Higgins and Robertson matches.

Postby snooky147

Sonny wrote:To be fair Dotty v Campbell was always going to be 4th choice in that line up for Chinese tv

I agree mate but the other matches that I mentioned are the ones who should have been on.

Postby Roland

Lee v Robbo would get the nod if it wasn't in China for sure. Just like the Welsh put the Welsh players on tv tables and the Irish put the Irish on tv ahead of the ones the neutrals would prefer to see. I think Dotty will come through against Marcus and we'll get to see him next round fingers crossed.

Postby Alpha

Never really understood the hate for Robertson by certain posters on here. I've really enjoyed watching him mature over the years from an all out potter when he would only reach quarter finals at best, to one of the best all round players in the game. His record, 6 ranking wins from 6, {8 if you include the PTC's} as well as the Masters win speaks for itself.
Yes he can get a bit bogged down and play needless safety shots when the pot is the better option, but he is hardly slow {notice it's only Trump and Allen that have ever made this accusation before and Trump never moaned about his speed when eating him at the UK.} The 2o1o World final was an extreme case, there was so much going on those two days that the pressure on Robertson and Dott to produce a great final was just too much.

Postby Andre147

Alpha wrote:Never really understood the hate for Robertson by certain posters on here. I've really enjoyed watching him mature over the years from an all out potter when he would only reach quarter finals at best, to one of the best all round players in the game. His record, 6 ranking wins from 6, {8 if you include the PTC's} as well as the Masters win speaks for itself.
Yes he can get a bit bogged down and play needless safety shots when the pot is the better option, but he is hardly slow {notice it's only Trump and Allen that have ever made this accusation before and Trump never moaned about his speed when eating him at the UK.} The 2o1o World final was an extreme case, there was so much going on those two days that the pressure on Robertson and Dott to produce a great final was just too much.

Yes, couldnt agree more... his all round game is without doubt one of the best in the game, similar to the likes of selby and Higgins... He has an amazing record in finals, if you count all of those, that is no less than 9 finals he has never lost, dont think any other player in the history of the game has that amazing record, and it will take some beating that´s for sure... He can be a bit slow sometimes when considering a safety shot, but more often than not when he takes that amount of time it´s because it is a difficult shot or something similar, so he has the right to.. in amongst the balls he is very fluent and doesnt hang around too much.. and the people who moan about him being slow should watch the likes of Thourbourn, Charlton, Griffiths and so on.... :john:

Postby GJ

Alpha wrote:Never really understood the hate for Robertson by certain posters on here. I've really enjoyed watching him mature over the years from an all out potter when he would only reach quarter finals at best, to one of the best all round players in the game. His record, 6 ranking wins from 6, {8 if you include the PTC's} as well as the Masters win speaks for itself.

:D :bowdown: :hatoff: <cool>

Postby Witz78

itd be boring if we all liked the same player

plenty of guys i support are hated on here too

id rather support someone who stays true to their natural game and principles than sticks 2 fingers up at his fans and changes his style

Its a bit like a musical situation where all those Genesis fans got outraged when they moved from prog rock style in the 70s to more pop and symph rock in the 80s.

Postby Skullman

Witz78 wrote:

itd be boring if we all liked the same player

plenty of guys i support are hated on here too

id rather support someone who stays true to their natural game and principles than sticks 2 fingers up at his fans and changes his style

Its a bit like a musical situation where all those Genesis fans got outraged when they moved from prog rock style in the 70s to more pop and symph rock in the 80s.

People change though. You can't expect someone to be the same player they are throughout their career/like the same music all their life if we're using your music example.

Postby Witz78

yeh but Robbo was having success with his all out attack so hed no need to change it

suppose with him settling down now with kids etc hes prob happy to spin his trips away to tournaments as long as possible now to avoid Her Indoors and changing soiled dipers.

Postby Witz78

cuesports_girlAmanda_R@

@pistol147 How does attacking them publicly help though? What if sponsors decide they don't want to be involved anymore?

7 hours ago FavoriteRetweetReply

in reply to ↑
@pistol147Mark Allen

@cuesports_girl I'm happy cause I don't have to travel to china anymore!!

loveable rougue indeed doh!

hes just a total loser whod rather sit on his fat bottom than play snooker

Postby jojo

ive always found him to be a chav to be honest and he living up to his billing

instead of shooting off his mouth all the time he should concentrate on trying to win his first professional tournament

some of the comments he made were disgusting people say well you have to respect him for speaking his mind but if i said mark allen is a tubby little chavy fat bastard i would be speaking my mind yet i will get warned by sonny and the like so it not always right to speak your mind

Postby Witz78

Ronnie gets slated for his attitude to foreign events but he always praises the events over there when he does attend and is honest about not really wanting to play in them.

Allen should just pull out of them and stay at home if he hates them.

Postby Andre147

Witz78 wrote:Ronnie gets slated for his attitude to foreign events but he always praises the events over there when he does attend and is honest about not really wanting to play in them.

Very true, I´m sick of these comments from Allen saying he doesnt want to play in these events and so on, yet he attends them all the time... Ronnie simply does not go if he doesnt like the travelling, yet when he attends them he praises them as you said..
The same happened in the Shootout this year, Ronnie didnt enter.. yet Allen an MJW were all moaning it was a joke event.. why the hell play in it if you dont like it?? I know why.. :evilgrin: :irk: :chuckle: money always speeks louder on these situations, and they rather play in an event they dont like and still earn a few quid then sit at home and earn nothing...
But if you do enter and event you shouldnt be moaning and complaining all the time, yet Allen doesnt think that way... childish attitude from him... :chuckle:

Postby Witz78

Andre147 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Ronnie gets slated for his attitude to foreign events but he always praises the events over there when he does attend and is honest about not really wanting to play in them.

Very true, I´m sick of these comments from Allen saying he doesnt want to play in these events and so on, yet he attends them all the time... Ronnie simply does not go if he doesnt like the travelling, yet when he attends them he praises them as you said..
The same happened in the Shootout this year, Ronnie didnt enter.. yet Allen an MJW were all moaning it was a joke event.. why the hell play in it if you dont like it?? I know why.. :evilgrin: :irk: :chuckle: money always speeks louder on these situations, and they rather play in an event they dont like and still earn a few quid then sit at home and earn nothing...
But if you do enter and event you shouldnt be moaning and complaining all the time, yet Allen doesnt think that way... childish attitude from him... :chuckle:

all the muppets on twitter defending him <doh>

even Wild went easy on him :fart:

Postby Casey

boris_the_butcher wrote:I'm getting the feeling Allen needs aggro from all sides in order to play his best snooker.

I think thats true.

He shouldn't have called the people ignorant and that is a comment he will regret later in life I think. The rest is just opinion about a Country were he doesn't mesh with the culture.

On another note, anybody watch his match with Trump? Can you please provide some details? 5-4 looks like a good win for Mark....