Topic locked

Re: Star Xing Pai Haikou World Open Last 16 Discussion!!

Postby GJ

witz

A test of your prediction powers

robbo v lee

either 3 out of 3 after your 2 hendo and robbo ones right

or 2/3

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:So advantage lee for tomorrow as he played on an outside table in round 1

PS

Snookey can i ask why you dislike lee ?

a lot of folk seem to dislike Lee

personally i hope he wins this event then sticks 2 fingers up at the On Q brigade :hatoff:

Postby Skullman

Witz78 wrote:
GJ wrote:So advantage lee for tomorrow as he played on an outside table in round 1

PS

a lot of folk seem to dislike Lee

personally i hope he wins this event then sticks 2 fingers up at the On Q brigade :hatoff:

Lee is vastly underrated. Four rankers and has been doing well recently. Semis in Berlin and should have been in the semis in Newport if not for that phone incident. More than capable.

Postby GJ

For me lee v robbo is 50/50

lee in better form of the 2

I recall robbo having a good record v lee though

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:witz

A test of your prediction powers

robbo v lee

either 3 out of 3 after your 2 hendo and robbo ones right

or 2/3

this is a tricky one to call

Pieman has had a good run and is undoubtedly on form

Jono seems to be getting more bogged down with his snooker tactics lately.

This really is tough to call but

i think Jono will edge it 5-3

Postby Witz78

Skullman wrote:Thoughts on the matches:

The seeds really don't like this tournament, do they? Just 8 out of 14 through to the last 16, least since Australia I think.

Higgins vs Cope: Higgins hasn't been his best this season, and has been looking to play himself into form before his big title defence. This is probably the best chance he will get, Cope and then either Milkins or Jin Long. Sould be an easy run to the semis. Then again, with the ways things have been going here, Jin Long will porbably end up getting through the quarter! rofl

Long vs Milkins: Milkins looks to be in good form, although not sure if he won his last 32 match or whether Maguire lost it. Don't really care tbh. But probably Milkins.

Dott vs Campbell: Interesting that Dott has never beaten Campbell. Nevertheless, expecting Graeme to come through as he has beaten one of the more dangerous qualifiers, while Marcus hasn't played a match yet and will be coming in cold.

Lee vs Robertson: Lee has been playing well lately. Semis in Berlin, and if not for an untimely phone on his backswing, he was going to be in the semis in Newort, while Neil has a bad record in China, excluding his run to the semis in Shanghai last September. Robbo is different class though, and even though he didn't look his Hendry, I think he can up his level.

King vs Ford: Suprised King was here tbh but MJW has been crap since Shanghai. I'm guessing his climb to no1 in the world rankings and Berlin last year were his last glories and I'm expecting him to slide back down now. Think Ford will win this, as he seems to do well against qualifiers and maybe this will relieve the pressure he feels at venues. Although King is battler, and will at least give Trump/Allen a game.

Trump vs Allen: Should be a cracking match. Trump beat him in York, but three people he beat in York have got their revenge on him. Can Allen be the fourth? Should be a cracker and I expect the winner to reach the semis.

Murphy vs Perry: Perry seems to be playing well but Murphy should win this. Good chance for him for to go one step further than his semis this season and win.

Selby vs Holt: Holt looks to be playing well, while Selby just scraped through. However, whenever Selby has a crap first round, he usually ups his game and does well in the tournament (see Shanghai and Newport). Selby looks like he has had his dip in form for the season already and has recovered from it. And if he wins he has a chance to get his revenge on Murphy.

Then again, the way this tournament has been going we could end up with Long, Campbell, King and Holt in the semis. :irk:

we will no doubt see a donkey winner of this event

thanks to WS cocking up the rankings cut offs this event has little interest for the bulk of the big boys

then idiotic comments from the likes of Allen insulting the host nation

hes lucky this wasnt the Libyan Open or Gadaffis supporters would have left him to rot on the streets along with the dead cats

Postby Skullman

Witz78 wrote:
Skullman wrote:Thoughts on the matches:

The seeds really don't like this tournament, do they? Just 8 out of 14 through to the last 16, least since Australia I think.

Higgins vs Cope: Higgins hasn't been his best this season, and has been looking to play himself into form before his big title defence. This is probably the best chance he will get, Cope and then either Milkins or Jin Long. Sould be an easy run to the semis. Then again, with the ways things have been going here, Jin Long will porbably end up getting through the quarter! rofl

Long vs Milkins: Milkins looks to be in good form, although not sure if he won his last 32 match or whether Maguire lost it. Don't really care tbh. But probably Milkins.

Dott vs Campbell: Interesting that Dott has never beaten Campbell. Nevertheless, expecting Graeme to come through as he has beaten one of the more dangerous qualifiers, while Marcus hasn't played a match yet and will be coming in cold.

Lee vs Robertson: Lee has been playing well lately. Semis in Berlin, and if not for an untimely phone on his backswing, he was going to be in the semis in Newort, while Neil has a bad record in China, excluding his run to the semis in Shanghai last September. Robbo is different class though, and even though he didn't look his Hendry, I think he can up his level.

King vs Ford: Suprised King was here tbh but MJW has been crap since Shanghai. I'm guessing his climb to no1 in the world rankings and Berlin last year were his last glories and I'm expecting him to slide back down now. Think Ford will win this, as he seems to do well against qualifiers and maybe this will relieve the pressure he feels at venues. Although King is battler, and will at least give Trump/Allen a game.

Trump vs Allen: Should be a cracking match. Trump beat him in York, but three people he beat in York have got their revenge on him. Can Allen be the fourth? Should be a cracker and I expect the winner to reach the semis.

Murphy vs Perry: Perry seems to be playing well but Murphy should win this. Good chance for him for to go one step further than his semis this season and win.

Selby vs Holt: Holt looks to be playing well, while Selby just scraped through. However, whenever Selby has a crap first round, he usually ups his game and does well in the tournament (see Shanghai and Newport). Selby looks like he has had his dip in form for the season already and has recovered from it. And if he wins he has a chance to get his revenge on Murphy.

Then again, the way this tournament has been going we could end up with Long, Campbell, King and Holt in the semis. :irk:

we will no doubt see a donkey winner of this event

thanks to WS cocking up the rankings cut offs this event has little interest for the bulk of the big boys

then idiotic comments from the likes of Allen insulting the host nation

hes lucky this wasnt the Libyan Open or Gadaffis supporters would have left him to rot on the streets along with the dead cats

Dunno about that. Think the top players are bothering, just not adapting to the conditions. Plus there are players like Gould and Bingham who aren't really top players, and MJW who has been rubbish for a while now.

Postby GJ

Cant remember who but someone on here a few months ago said williams was getting abit lazy and would be in a slump of form soon

Postby snooky147

PS

Of course you can mate. My dislike for him goes back to the very first time i saw him in Prestatyn the first time i took Graeme. I watched Mark Williams as he destroyed his opponents, whether they be good or rubbish but no matter what he gave them respect on the table. When i watched lee he exuded contempt to most he was playing as if they had no right to be there and over the years that arrogance and rudeness just got worse. Nothing to do with him and Graeme, they get along okay i am told. Nothing to do with his weight, i am just as heavy, if not more though i am losing it, 4 stone and counting. He went from a very good free flowing player to a nervy, hesitant methodical player over the course of a few seasons just like Robertson is doing now, curbing his natural attacking instincts. At the moment it is paying off for Neil but he will come unstuck bigtime. I have seen this so often in the players when i was around the tour scene in the past. They never seem to realise that they do themselves infinitly more harm than good because all sorts of negativity starts to play with their heads and your Lees Robertsons and to an extent Selby are too good as attackers but curbing as they do they do themselves an injustice.

Postby GJ

snooky147 wrote:

PS

Of course you can mate. My dislike for him goes back to the very first time i saw him in Prestatyn the first time i took Graeme. I watched Mark Williams as he destroyed his opponents, whether they be good or rubbish but no matter what he gave them respect on the table. When i watched lee he exuded contempt to most he was playing as if they had no right to be there and over the years that arrogance and rudeness just got worse. Nothing to do with him and Graeme, they get along okay i am told. Nothing to do with his weight, i am just as heavy, if not more though i am losing it, 4 stone and counting. He went from a very good free flowing player to a nervy, hesitant methodical player over the course of a few seasons just like Robertson is doing now, curbing his natural attacking instincts. At the moment it is paying off for Neil but he will come unstuck bigtime. I have seen this so often in the players when i was around the tour scene in the past. They never seem to realise that they do themselves infinitly more harm than good because all sorts of negativity starts to play with their heads and your Lees Robertsons and to an extent Selby are too good as attackers but curbing as they do they do themselves an injustice.

I respect your views

I honestly believe Robbo still goes for his shots but not as much as before and also if he feels he is not in good form instead of going all out attack he plays more safeties.

If it comes down to a big ball at a crucial stage he will still attack and go for the win.

Postby Skullman

Robbo does seem to be more negative than he needs to be. In the Masters he was tactical when he needed to be, but I think he's going overboard now. He was rejecting relatively simple pots agianst Hendry today that he wouldn't normally. He's trying to be more like Higgins, but isn't doing a good job of it. Higgins is a brilliant tactical player, but he goes for his pots and gets them more often than not. Neil should remember to do that sometimes. Still early days in this tournament though and Neil can be attacking in his next match against Lee.

Postby Monique

@snooky147 @GJ

It isn't easy for the players.
When they go for their shots even when they obviously are on a bad day - like Hendry and ROS f.i. - get are accused of "throwing" the matches. When they take a more conservative approach, curb their natural instincts, like Selby and - only to an extend - Robertson they are at risk to bog themselves down and win less than they could have done. You can't please everyone.

Postby GJ

Skullman wrote:Robbo does seem to be more negative than he needs to be. In the Masters he was tactical when he needed to be, but I think he's going overboard now. He was rejecting relatively simple pots agianst Hendry today that he wouldn't normally. He's trying to be more like Higgins, but isn't doing a good job of it. Higgins is a brilliant tactical player, but he goes for his pots and gets them more often than not. Neil should remember to do that sometimes. Still early days in this tournament though and Neil can be attacking in his next match against Lee.

he was missing alot today so hard to judge if he beats lee I will assess match v dott or campbell and see his shot selection ;-)

Postby GJ

Monique wrote:@snooky147 @GJ

It isn't easy for the players.
When they go for their shots even when they obviously are on a bad day - like Hendry and ROS f.i. - get are accused of "throwing" the matches. When they take a more conservative approach, curb their natural instincts, like Selby and - only to an extend - Robertson they are at risk to bog themselves down and win less than they could have done. You can't please everyone.

:spot on:

I have seen robbo a few years back going for 1 too many and losing a match over it

For me he now knows when to be more prudent

But your right there will always be someone unhappy whether a player attacks or defends too much

Postby snooky147

Skullman wrote:Well hopes he ups his game anyway. Still hoping for that Selby-Robbo final. Hell I'm still hoping for a Robbo Selby match that isn't in the Championship/Premier League.

God........ As long as its not a World final. Can you imagine it. Best of 35 played over a week rofl

Postby Skullman

snooky147 wrote:
Skullman wrote:Well hopes he ups his game anyway. Still hoping for that Selby-Robbo final. Hell I'm still hoping for a Robbo Selby match that isn't in the Championship/Premier League.

God........ As long as its not a World final. Can you imagine it. Best of 35 played over a week rofl

Postby snooky147

Skullman wrote:
snooky147 wrote:

Haaaa, i knew that would be the answer. I freely admit and so does Graeme that it wasn't the best but it takes two to tango and if Peter had picked up the pace and the games werent so safety orientated it might have been quicker so when i say stuff about Robbo or Selby there's really no need to come up with the 2006 quote because i know how much of a slog it was, i watch it regularly in its entirety :emb: Graeme thinks i'm nuts when I tell him i'm watching it again. rofl

Postby jojo

robertson would never have won as much as he has done if he didnt adapt his play before he was way too one dimensional such as players like allen and murphy and the like

murphys style holds him back from winning more classic example is their masters final the only way he was going to win that was if he was playing really well he got no plan b the danger signs were there against higgins the night before

Postby Wildey

jojo wrote:robertson would never have won as much as he has done if he didnt adapt his play before he was way too one dimensional such as players like allen and murphy and the like

murphys style holds him back from winning more classic example is their masters final the only way he was going to win that was if he was playing really well he got no plan b the danger signs were there against higgins the night before

totally correct <ok>

Postby GJ

jojo wrote:robertson would never have won as much as he has done if he didnt adapt his play before he was way too one dimensional such as players like allen and murphy and the like

:spot on:

Murphy plays better than robbo early in events no doubt but as you say shaun always seems to have 1 bad match each event and collapses pretty easily in that match as he has no plan b

ding match at welsh

mags match at german masters

Postby Skullman

snooky147 wrote:
Skullman wrote:
snooky147 wrote:

Haaaa, i knew that would be the answer. I freely admit and so does Graeme that it wasn't the best but it takes two to tango and if Peter had picked up the pace and the games werent so safety orientated it might have been quicker so when i say stuff about Robbo or Selby there's really no need to come up with the 2006 quote because i know how much of a slog it was, i watch it regularly in its entirety :emb: Graeme thinks i'm nuts when I tell him i'm watching it again. rofl

Just a joke mate. I have no problem with jokes about Selby/Robbo, but I still think it's a bit rich for a Graeme Dott fan/relative to slate someone for slow World Finals, especially when Graeme was in one of them with Robbo. :redneck:

Postby GJ

Skullman wrote:Still think Murphy will win something this season. Maybe this or China, or even the Worlds :irk:

If you keep knocking on the door, it will open eventually.

cant see him winning another worlds

Postby Skullman

GJ wrote:
Skullman wrote:Still think Murphy will win something this season. Maybe this or China, or even the Worlds :irk:

Crucible throws all sorts of funny suprises. And let's face it, it would be less of a suprise than his first win.

Postby Skullman

Muppet147 wrote:
GJ wrote:

Or Robbo.

<ok>

You can win Robbo as a trophy? Where can I enter this competition? Probably best for him to get a preemptive restraining order for GJ though.

Postby snooky147

I'm not slating anyone mate, just pointing out that a Robbo v Selby final would be a potentially slow one. Again no one knows more than me how slow 2006 was. 2010 was going along nicely until it got bogged down, primarily by Neil but again i'm not slating him per se. I suppose you do what you feel you have to to get the win and he deserved his. I guess my ultimate point is that it pains me when players curb their natural instincts. I also respect the role that having a good safety game plays.