Topic locked

Re: Star Xing Pai Haikou World Open W C and Last 32 Discussi

Postby Witz78

boris_the_butcher wrote:
simplysnooker wrote:Not long to go now, bit disappointed that the Best of 5's were scrapped, enjoyed it as a one-off tournament, but going to give the event a try.

Best of five frames has no place in a fully fledged ranking event. If it did, it would be less prestigious than a PTC.

well the World Open last year with best of 5s was 350% more prestigious than a PTC in terms of ranking points <ok>

and all the talk of it being a lottery was dispelled by the big names reaching the latter stages.

It was a breath of fresh air last year and there was definetly scope for retaining that format.

Postby Skullman

Just wondering if Robbo happened to win this tournament would it count as having won the same tournament three seasosn in a row? I know there's been a format change all three years, but was I wondering if still counted.

Postby GJ

Skullman wrote:Just wondering if Robbo happened to win this tournament would it count as having won the same tournament three seasosn in a row? I know there's been a format change all three years, but was I wondering if still counted.

No due to different format :irk:

Postby Casey

Skullman wrote:Just wondering if Robbo happened to win this tournament would it count as having won the same tournament three seasosn in a row? I know there's been a format change all three years, but was I wondering if still counted.

He is not number 1 seed as defending Champion so I guess not.

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:

No due to different format :irk:

what i dont understand is when the Grand Prix changed to the LG Cup it was still looked upon as the same competition (ie, on the list of previous winners) then it became the Grand Prix again.

Format changed to groups then back to knockout

then last season it changed to World Open, shorter format and random draw but was still looked on as being the Grand Prix yet now when its far more like the old Grand Prix again with best of 9s etc, it is deemed to be a new event.

Postby Alpha

Most likely because the LG Cup and the original World Open were still Grands Prix but just with sponsorship in the first case and a radically new format in the second. They still retained the same BBC coverage and the same spot in the calendar. :shrug:

Postby Skullman

jojo wrote:complete waste of a first day

what utter recycling bullocks

one thing bad about the chinese sort is they always have these wildcard rounds which for me a complete turn off

:hatoff: Won't even bother with the first day. What I don't get is why hold back qualifying matches like they do at the Welsh? And why have eight wildcards, and on the same day as well. At least have four wildcard matches and four last 32 matches, so the TV audiences have something to watch.

Postby jojo

thanjs i actually think it better to have all the recycling wildcards on the first day get all the rubbish out the way first on the first day and the tournament start properly on tuesday

i agree that if spectators turn on the tv and they see all unknowns playing on the first day they could be forgiven for thinking it not a major tournament but surely a proper snooker fan will know it is a major tournament and it just the first day that has a wildcard round

Postby Andre147

jojo wrote:thanjs i actually think it better to have all the recycling wildcards on the first day get all the donkey doo out the way first on the first day and the tournament start properly on tuesday

i agree that if spectators turn on the tv and they see all unknowns playing on the first day they could be forgiven for thinking it not a major tournament but surely a proper snooker fan will know it is a major tournament and it just the first day that has a wildcard round

Yes I would also think that even if it isn't a die hard snooker fan he should at least know that the big guns will start their tournament the day after those wildcard rounds... I´ll probably watch a bit of those, but pre-recorded of course... Won't wake up that early for some stupid wildcard match :zzz: :zzz: , especially as I´m watching the Oscars this night... Cant wait to see who the winners will be.. very strong field this year..

Postby Wildey

Monday 27th of February

6.30am GMT

Sam Baird 3-5 Jin Long
Robert Milkins 5-3 Thanawat Tirpongpaiboon
Mark King 5-2 Hossein Vataei Ayori
Tom Ford 5-4 Lu Haotian

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:wild

Do you think slow conditions will suit hendo more than robbo ?

players should be able to adapt to conditions after a frame so i dont think it will make any difference TBH

Postby Wildey

Tuesday 28th of February

6.30am GMT

John Higgins v Marco Fu TV
Shaun Murphy v Ricky Walden TV
Graeme Dott v Barry Hawkins

11.30am GMT

Ding Junhui v Jin Long TV
Judd Trump v Andrew Higginson TV
Stuart Bingham v Michael Holt
Stephen Lee v Dominic Dale