Topic locked

Re: Power Snooker Discussion Topic

Postby Witz78

the main benefit of an order of merit which everyone is overlooking is exactly the kinda scenario your mentioning

its going to attract much more cash into events because sponsors etc will stump up more to give their event greater importance so its win win as far as im concerned

anyway the way things are going i dont see rankings as being important

if my intuitave improbasation is correct then the elite / top 16 is soon to be a thing of the past and flatter qualifying and tournament set ups will occur.

lets face it the thought of 112 guys on tour fighting it out over 16 qualifiying places is laughable

Postby Roland

They could run a money list concurrently with a ranking system and give benefits to those high up like in the PTCs, but it would be pointless for the top boys.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:They could run a money list concurrently with a ranking system and give benefits to those high up like in the PTCs, but it would be pointless for the top boys.

it would reward tournament winners rather than consistency

Postby Witz78

Tubberlad wrote:A money list would be the death of the PTC's, and to be honest it's a thoroughly laughable idea...

the PTCs death sentence has already been passed as far as im concerned

the PTC tour should slowly be downgraded now id say, hopefully well have a couple more full European rankers next season after the good legwork the PTCs have done. These new events could replace the pretty pointless Sheffield PTCs.

the key as i said the other night though is the Premier League, if it remains in its current guise and rules 11 weeks out of the seasons calendar for being used for full ranking events, then the tours never really gonna be able to reach the level it can.

Itd be a bit like the equivalent of the Tennis Masters 02 thingy thats on the now being played over a week, instead being played once a week and being spun over 3 months when there was no other tennis for the other players to take part in.

Infact the Tennis Masters is a perfect example of what the Snooker Premier League should become instead, reward the creme de la creme with an elite tournament that has big money and importance

Postby Tubberlad

It would reward laziness... show up to the big events, do well, you'll be top two or three in the world without any PTCs?

Postby Witz78

Tubberlad wrote:It would reward laziness... show up to the big events, do well, you'll be top two or three in the world without any PTCs?

the PTCs should soon be the equivalent of Challenger events in tennis, mainly for the young guns and journeymen

Postby Bourne

Witz78 wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:It would reward laziness... show up to the big events, do well, you'll be top two or three in the world without any PTCs?

the PTCs should soon be the equivalent of Challenger events in tennis, mainly for the young guns and journeymen

What I been sayin' all along mate <ok> But I do get wild's point though, the top players ought to commit to as many as they can in the first coupla years in order to give the tournaments a bit of prestige and just keep them afloat. We can only call these CH equivalents if there's enough above it and we're a little short of that still.

Postby PLtheRef

Well done to Martin, worthy winner of the tournament. Though Ronnie played well throughout I think its better for the game as a concept that Martin won. Not wanting to knock Ronnie but to have the man who helped set up and create the game winning the tournament each match he plays wouldn't do the concept of competition any good. What tonight showed was that as an Exhibition game Power Snooker does have some small potential but I think some rules will need consideration before the next event.

It does pose the question as to whether a main tour event with the traditional format could be played over points as in Billiards - of course with a timed event a shotclock would be necessary. And I certainly wouldnt pose such an event as a ranker.

Over to Ronnie and whether he plays, well looking at the rankings he has a relatively comfortable 3000 point gap over 18th whilst only trying to catch Lee who is 90 points up on him. If I were RO'S then if I was going to give any tournament a miss it would be PTC 10. See how he does in York, and remember he's got a difficult quarter to navigate in the draw with the likes of Higgins, Maguire and Trump as well as Hendry in his section and if he doesnt have a brilliant run in York then he's got PTCs 11 and 12 to fall back on!

This is where Matt's ranking page is so useful!

Postby Witz78

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I thought that the audience wasn't too annoying today but how many times did we see the power ball missed after the crowd got real noisy right before the shot?

thats part of the fun and drama of PS <ok>

Postby Witz78

Bourne wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

What I been sayin' all along mate <ok> But I do get wild's point though, the top players ought to commit to as many as they can in the first coupla years in order to give the tournaments a bit of prestige and just keep them afloat. We can only call these CH equivalents if there's enough above it and we're a little short of that still.

VAMOS RAFA :D

Postby Bourne

Convincing win against the low seed who had to WD from his last two tournaments with injury :chuckle:

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Yes I know the WN1 criteria have changed with rolling rankings and I've already said that Jimmy would have been it in 1991/92 under those criteria, but they are comparable. Imagine if some runt puts £500,000 for a winner take all prize in the Shootout - a World Snooker sanctioned event. Now can you see how bull it is?

the end of season rankings is the equivelant to the old fashion rankings how they used to work out provisionals is different to how they do it now.

and yes money lists is bull <ok>

Postby vodkadiet

Witz78 wrote:
Bourne wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

VAMOS RAFA :D

Another Nadull disgrace. 11.30pm finish. His match took twice the time Federer's took , and only had 4 more games.

Some people had to leave before the end, and it is all down to Nadull's f*cking timewasting.

Ban the guy from tennis! :hatoff:

Postby Andre147

Witz78 wrote:hes 17th so hes not in a position to start skipping events plus he still has a lot more points to lose this season than the likes of Gould, Bingham, Lee, Stevens etc directly above him

Winning R1 of UK would net him 1920 points (3040-1120) so almost equivalent to winning a PTC but the double factor is if he doesnt play in them, hes losing ground as the others above him will no doubt pick up 360, 560 or 760 points at least.

He missed a trick in Shanghai when he had a route of Wattana - Hamilton - King to get to the semis and blew up v Hamilton. That was after hed shown a good early season attitude in the PTCs so thats why i still have doubts that come the UK The "Ranking" Ronnie of recent seasons will return. I genuinely think Davis has a chance against Ronnie in R1 too, hell be fired up and have practiced well plus hell know exactly what tactics will get into the mind of Ronnie.

:john: Yes Ronnie had the most straitforward of routes in that Shanghai draw, he could very easily had reached the semis, and then probably lose to his old pal and best friend :blush: :fence: Selby, but still he would have gathered some important 4480 ranking points. Then he would certainly be in the top 16, and by now, he wouln´t have too worry that much about his ranking and could safely be in the top 16 maybe.

Ronnie is provisionaly on 38620 points on 17th, behind Stephen Lee with 38710, mark davis with 38740 and Mathew Stevens with 39415, so he could easily at least surpass this two, and maybe three in a ptc event, provided that they lose before him and he advancees further in the tournament. Unlike what has been said, i think that he will participate in all the remaining ptcs, at least the ones this year, becuase this year they are all in Sheffield because ptc 11 has been moved to the Uk, so he should enter this two. He has showed that even the ones that are abroad, he enters them (except Poland, as other top players did). And I think that steve might give him a bit of a scare in the Uk, but he will win 6-3 or, say, 6-4, no more than that. Then, will come the real test against possibly Judd, but I fancy his chances, we´ll just have to wait and see.

But, definately, Ronnie is showing this season a good form and interest in the game, which can only be good for him and his fans like me also. :D

Postby SnookerFan

Quite enjoyed the small amount I saw. I am going to write to Barry Hearn and ask him to schedule it next year for a weekend where I haven't had plans for months. :hatoff:

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Quite enjoyed the small amount I saw. I am going to write to Barry Hearn and ask him to schedule it next year for a weekend where I haven't had plans for months. :hatoff:

lets not go overboard wasent that good <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Quite enjoyed the small amount I saw. I am going to write to Barry Hearn and ask him to schedule it next year for a weekend where I haven't had plans for months. :hatoff:

lets not go overboard wasent that good <laugh>

Are you going to write to him so he can schedule it for a weekend you are busy? rofl

Postby mishcka

rumour has it there will be more than one PS event next year :shock: ... Did you actually send that letter to BH!!!
:gag:

Postby Wildey

mishcka wrote:

rumour has it there will be more than one PS event next year :shock: ... Did you actually send that letter to BH!!!
:gag:

to be honest players will have to miss out on ranking points just to play in more power snooker the callender is just too loaded to fit more in and rumour has it even more MT events next season.

Postby Witz78

something has to give

as i said earlier the PL is causing gridlock on the tour calendar

the PTCs also have to be downscaled to accomodate more full rankers

and as for the Championship League, it simply has to go now

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
and as for the Championship League, it simply has to go now

yes i guess thats 4 weeks they can gain

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:the action from Crondon Park is always one of the highlights of your Spring though Wild

no ive always found it pointless and aparantly this was invented because of Rodney Walker regime inability to reach a decition with Perform to stream qualifiers so they aproached Barry Hearn and the championship league was dreempt up overnight.

Postby Roland

Witz78 wrote:the action from Crondon Park is always one of the highlights of your Spring though Wild

:chuckle:

Postby vodkadiet

Sonny wrote:

:chuckle:

F*ck Condom Park, let the tossers go bareback!

Postby Wildey

davehendon David Hendon
Some interesting stuff from Higgins, including: 'If you ever see me anywhere near Power Snooker again you have my permission to shoot me'

Witz are you interested <laugh>

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
davehendon David Hendon
Some interesting stuff from Higgins, including: 'If you ever see me anywhere near Power Snooker again you have my permission to shoot me'

Witz are you interested <laugh>

Will he swallow the bullet as well as he swallowed the 300k :limp: