Topic locked

Re: Wyldecrest Park Homes World Seniors Championship !!!

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:Hendon has pop at nasty man shocker!

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... mpion.html

Brilliant article.

Agreed.
I'm all for variations and I like the Premier League very much, loved the shoot-out last year (I was in Blackpool), and the Power Snooker as well (except for the abuse thrown by some drunks). But shot-clock and shoot-out rules had absolutely no place in this event. That was ridiculous and disrespectful to those guys.

PS: I still think that the rules about unnecessary slow play should be enforced ruthlessly because if DOES ruin the game.

Postby SnookerFan

Didn't see much of it, as I don't have Sky Sports. I saw Taylor vs White yesterday though, and the end of Griffiths vs Morgan. It looked like a good little tournament, other then the bizarre rules. Think that Parrot and Davis thing just sounds absurd. :roll: I didn't realise the shot clock kicked in after ten minutes of the frame either. Seems a bit half-hearted, why did they do that?

I think without these rule changes, which seem to only be there to please Sky somehow, it could be a decent fun event.

Postby hendry_fan

Steve Davis 1 *Darren Morgan* 2

Well done Darren!,thouroughly deserved to win the tourney,i,m sure he could use/need the £18,000 more than that "ex ginger nut" Davis! :-D

:win: Darren Morgan :win:

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:PS: I still think that the rules about unnecessary slow play should be enforced ruthlessly because if DOES ruin the game.

thats your opinion i disagree it doesent ruin the game at all FOR ME it adds to it in some matches and makes it more exciting.

if every match was the same then it will become predictable but its not so ocational slowing down matches keeps it fresh..

id hate every match to be fast matches its about a nice ballance and i think the 2011 Pro Game minus shot clock has that ballance perfectly.

Postby Monique

I'm not asking for every match to be fast and I agree that there are circumstances where thinking time is needed. I enjoy a good safety battle as much as anyone. What I'm talking about is different and it's about deliberately waisting time for the sole purpose to frustrate the opponent. Usually it ends up with the culprit being knocked off their own rhythm as well and a terrible standard on display. The Walden-McLeod match last May and a few Fergal's in the recent PTCs is what I have in mind. It doesn't help anyone and it's poor viewing for the audience, be it in the venue or on telly. It should be punished, as the rules specify it IS ungentlemanly conduct, and because of the so many years of doing nothing, I personally would have absolutely zero tolerance on it.

Postby Roland

What you're talking about is isolated cases with the likes of Rory McLeod who we all know plays the most unattractive form of snooker going, deliberately messing the balls up and making it hard for his opponent. Funnily enough though, sometimes it is entertaining to see how the opponent copes with it. Variety is the spice of life and all that. If you don't like the slower players, don't watch them. And it's certainly not a prominent problem in the game today, it's been blown out of all proportion.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:What you're talking about is isolated cases with the likes of Rory McLeod who we all know plays the most unattractive form of snooker going, deliberately messing the balls up and making it hard for his opponent. Funnily enough though, sometimes it is entertaining to see how the opponent copes with it. Variety is the spice of life and all that. If you don't like the slower players, don't watch them. And it's certainly not a prominent problem in the game today, it's been blown out of all proportion.

I still have to take pictures of them and haven't manage to do that with my eyes closed yet. ;)
Seriously it's more common than you would think if you only go by what is shown on television or by what you usually see at the "venue" stages.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote: Variety is the spice of life and all that.

exactly

in championship snooker you got your Fast players and you got your slow players when a player is at the table they own it and can dictate the pace and dominate the table

theres more fast players today than slow players and yet speeding up play is getting to be a issue.

In the 80s Steve Davis was a measured player but if he thought he could intimidate players by quickening up he did it and he could almost run round the table jimmy style....

thats the same thing in reverse.

Postby Roland

It's not as widespread as you're making out. I mean definitely there are matches I wouldn't watch in a million years because of who is playing in them, snorefests if you like, but no rules need changing other than blatant time wasting with referee using their discretion to have a word.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:It's not as widespread as you're making out. I mean definitely there are matches I wouldn't watch in a million years because of who is playing in them, snorefests if you like, but no rules need changing other than blatant time wasting with referee using their discretion to have a word.

Well, we agree as I only ask for the rules to be applied, not changed, but I really want them to be applied.

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:
Sonny wrote: Variety is the spice of life and all that.

exactly

in championship snooker you got your Fast players and you got your slow players when a player is at the table they own it and can dictate the pace and dominate the table

theres more fast players today than slow players and yet speeding up play is getting to be a issue.

In the 80s Steve Davis was a measured player but if he thought he could intimidate players by quickening up he did it and he could almost run round the table jimmy style....

thats the same thing in reverse.

It's not about slow players. People will have different paces and rhythms, naturally. I'm about DELIBERATE and UNNECESSARY slow play as deemed ungentlemanly by the rules and all I ask if for the rules - unchanged - to be actually applied.

Postby Roland

I can't think of a single case I've seen where the referee needed to say "come on lads, hurry up" due to deliberate time wasting. Possibly Rory but then watching Higgins have to cope with him was fascinating in itself.

Maybe next thing the referees should be giving the players warnings for messing up the table and putting high scoring colours on cushions!

Postby Bourne

Is this actually official that the champ gets automatic guaranteed entry to next year's PL ? Cos if it ain't then I can't believe anyone truly thought a non-legend ie non-Davis/White would actually get in ...

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I remember Dean Reynolds being warned. Rory is the only player I've seen who definitely needs to be told every now and again.

i think it was John Williams that warned him in 1989.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Is this actually official that the champ gets automatic guaranteed entry to next year's PL ? Cos if it ain't then I can't believe anyone truly thought a non-legend ie non-Davis/White would actually get in ...

i thought it could be Morgan his match against Hallett in Gloucster was aparantly top notch.

so he was playing very well and conceded only 1 frame from qualls to winning the title.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:I can't think of a single case I've seen where the referee needed to say "come on lads, hurry up" due to deliberate time wasting. Possibly Rory but then watching Higgins have to cope with him was fascinating in itself.

Maybe next thing the referees should be giving the players warnings for messing up the table and putting high scoring colours on cushions!

Roland, either you apply the rules or you scrap/change them. It's no point to have rules and not apply them, as "fascinating" as you might find the outcome.
Ebdon should have been warned against ROS in the WC QF in 2005, and against Cope in the GP in 2008. Selby should have been warned in the WC QF against Carter in 2007. Rory should have been warned numerous times, Fergal as well.

Ebdon's case is the worse as he was clearly taking advantage of his position as a member of the board facing a weakened referee in both occasions, Colin Brinded was badly ill and Leo Scullion was replacing Jan Verhaas (taken ill) and it was his first major match on telly.

Postby Smart

Wild wrote:
simplysnooker wrote:Rory is a legend and he can take as long as he wants on a shot! :D

2 day break off rofl

I remember Rory vs Greene at the EIS in final round of the qualifiers few years back and Rory was huffing and puffing so much on each shot - the guy was so intense it was almost painful to watch :gag:

Postby Wildey

If you have a Rory v Harold match then its Painfull even i say that lol

but the amount of thoes matches today is so small its not worth bringing it up.

i love seing how atacking players cope with grinders and how grinders grind fast players its fascinating stuff..

Postby Tubberlad

Wild wrote:If you have a Rory v Harold match then its Painfull even i say that lol

i love seing how atacking players cope with grinders and how grinders grind fast players its fascinating stuff..

I don't mind watching McLeod for some unknown reason? Pretty fascinating to see how he made life hell for Walden last year :hatoff:

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:
Wild wrote:If you have a Rory v Harold match then its Painfull even i say that lol

I don't mind watching McLeod for some unknown reason? Pretty fascinating to see how he made life hell for Walden last year :hatoff:

2 much of roryesque players would not be great but there isnt so the contrast it creates is great...

reason you like watching him its unique a bit like Alex years ago in reverse.