Topic locked

Re: World Seniors Championship

Postby Witz78

no offence to John but shouldnt these Qualifiers have been seeded.

Im thinking of Morgan and Hallett in the same 1/4 when there arguably the best 2 in there

Postby PLtheRef

Why? - The main finals aren't seeded. - Plus, John like the rest of the field has been a professional snooker player.

Postby Witz78

PLtheRef wrote:Why? - The main finals aren't seeded. - Plus, John like the rest of the field has been a professional snooker player.

of course the main finals are seeded

why do you think Davis, Jimmy, Thorburn etc arent playing qualifiers :D

Postby PLtheRef

Clearly arent seeded, otherwise the draw would have been bracketed.

Anyway, looking at the draw I think John's got a good chance of getting through that section.

Postby gmg

Interesting line up but I agree that it's a bit of a shame that it wasn't seeded. Roe, Morgan, and Hallett all in the same quarter means that two of the best players are going to miss out. Les Dodd also in there after picking up a couple of useful results in a recent PTC. Poor old Patsy Fagan must feel he has no chance. In contrast quarter 1&3 are much more straightforward & everyone in there must fancy their chances. Anyone going to the main event btw?

Postby Witz78

David Singh in Johns section must be favourite to come through that section id say if his form in this PTC is anything to go by reaching round 3 before Jack Lisowski last night

Postby John From London Town

I’m just back from practicing for 3 hours for this comp. For 2 of them hours I just practiced with the pink & black off their spots, one to the other, nothing else for the first 2 hours. Bloody hard work! Glad I done it though, I stuck with it & a good bit of discipline there & I feel better for it.
I’ll be out again tomorrow evening, working hard.

I’m sat here & the adrenaline is running right through me now. No way will I get to sleep for a couple of hours. My wife knows that & hasn’t even asked me if I’m going to bed. Just came in & said “Night” & smiled at me. That’s always the way with me after I’ve been working hard on a Snooker table for a few hours. Takes me a while to settle afterwards. Probably cos I'm marmite these days & takes a lot more out of me. :chuckle:
Glad I’m playing though. Thankful that I can too. :-)

Postby weewelshwitch

The qualifying day Monday 10 October at South west Snooker Academy is open to the public. Tickets just £5 for the entire day (and probably half the night - shot clock may determine time of shot, it doesn't determine how many shots!)
Ring 01452 223214 during office hours to buy a ticket.

Really looking forward to this event. Some great names of yesteryear in the field. Can't wait to see Steve Newbury lob his cue at the wall again, or Tony Chappel's great cue action or Darren commenting why he hasn't been seeded to the final!

Some of the seniors are not happy matches are only best of 3, but haven't heard any of them comment about the shot clock yet.

Postby Wildey

i think the main thing with best of 3s is when it comes to players playing Jimmy or Steve best of 3s could be a leveler where as best of 9 you would expect the stronger player to take it quite comfterble being match sharp and on tour.

as dave hendon said and i will quote him of the blog
I can’t say I entirely approve of the seniors format – best of threes is short for a ‘World Championship’ and a 30 second shot clock is a bit of a joke, not least because one of the attractions of the tournament is the banter, which will be limited if players are on the clock

and has been said on this forum it just stupid hurrying up a event like this

Postby Witz78

i think the clocks mainly been brought in to stop the banter

cos they want the tournament to be a serious event rather than have an exhibition fun event feel to it

and with 30 seconds its not really rushing players to ridiculous levels but means they cant fanny about for ages between shots

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:i think the clocks mainly been brought in to stop the banter

cos they want the tournament to be a serious event rather than have an exhibition fun event feel to it

and with 30 seconds its not really rushing players to ridiculous levels but means they cant fanny about for ages between shots

good point i supose

Postby gallantrabbit

Is a joke though a shot clock. I was going to say what would Eddie Charlton do? But then thought what is Cliffy going to do??

May I just register my complete support for John from the Smoke. Here`s a fellow that loves the game, loves sport and loves the buzz of competition. If he`s got a decent draw it couldn`t have happened to a nicer fellow and sometimes you`ve got to ride your luck and push on.
I know John you`re not the most practiced man out there, but you know the game inside out and as long as the feel is there when you`re on a shot you`ll go far.
Be lucky and knock sideways a couple of these `names`! :fence: For the throat that man!

gallantrabbit wrote:Is a joke though a shot clock. I was going to say what would Eddie Charlton do? But then thought what is Cliffy going to do??

May I just register my complete support for John from the Smoke. Here`s a fellow that loves the game, loves sport and loves the buzz of competition. If he`s got a decent draw it couldn`t have happened to a nicer fellow and sometimes you`ve got to ride your luck and push on.
I know John you`re not the most practiced man out there, but you know the game inside out and as long as the feel is there when you`re on a shot you`ll go far.
Be lucky and knock sideways a couple of these `names`! :fence: For the throat that man!

Thanks gallant, :hatoff:
I'll certainly be giving it my all. Hopefully when the feedback is given to Barry Hearn & his team, they'll soon realise that BO3's & having a shot clock in place is a bad move. The shot clock will do me a favour as it it'll save me from spending too much thinking down when I'm down on the shot. :-)
Thanks again gallant, genuinely appreciated mate. God Bless ya'.

Postby Wildey

yes i think we all echo what gallant said to wish john luck on monday <ok>

Sonny wrote:when are you heading down to SWSA?

Driving over on Sunday, getting the boat in the morning & then heading down & should be there around 5pm ish. I have to work in Glasgow next Weds & Thurs so I'll be driving up there on the Tues. Hopefully in a good mood. :-)

Postby Roland

I'll miss you then, I'm heading down tomorrow morning and back home Saturday night.

Witz78 wrote:what time u gonna be kicking about town before you get the boat over on the Friday then John

From memory, I think Stranraer is about an hour & a half from Glasgow, the boat goes about 2.30pm so I can get down there for 12 noon if that suits? I might be having a night out in Glasgow on the Thursday night with some Snooker folk but if you wanna meet up @12 noon then cool, I'll be there.

Postby Witz78

John From London Town wrote:
Witz78 wrote:what time u gonna be kicking about town before you get the boat over on the Friday then John

From memory, I think Stranraer is about an hour & a half from Glasgow, the boat goes about 2.30pm so I can get down there for 12 noon if that suits? I might be having a night out in Glasgow on the Thursday night with some Snooker folk but if you wanna meet up @12 noon then cool, I'll be there.

prob nearer an hour and a quarter to 2 hours

just bomb on down the coast tho, dont worry about them silly yellow average speed cameras, ive never heard of anyone being caught speeding thru them.

Thursday night in Glasgow is a good night, enjoy.

yeh well catch u around noon then for a quick drink and a game or 2 of pool then <ok>

Witz78 wrote:prob nearer an hour and a quarter to 2 hours

just bomb on down the coast tho, dont worry about them silly yellow average speed cameras, ive never heard of anyone being caught speeding thru them.

yeh well catch u around noon then for a quick drink and a game or 2 of pool then <ok>

I won't have a beer as I'll be driving but I'll meet up. DM me your mobile number, I'll send you a text once I get it & I'll bell you that morning when I'm leaving Glasgow. Cool?

Postby Witz78

John From London Town wrote:
Witz78 wrote:prob nearer an hour and a quarter to 2 hours

I won't have a beer as I'll be driving but I'll meet up. DM me your mobile number, I'll send you a text once I get it & I'll bell you that morning when I'm leaving Glasgow. Cool?

just mailed u it

dont be going passing it on to any funny women now

on second thoughts, what the hell go for it lol