Topic locked

Snooker Legends Croydon

Postby SnookerFan

My turn.

On the off chance anybody is going to this, I shall be in attendance tomorrow night. :D It's my second Snooker Legends, if you don't count the Alex Higgins vs Jimmy White match I attended. Unfortunately I don't have VIP tickets. (Shame really, I could've got close to Michaela Tabb.) :drool: Still never mind, these nights are a good laugh. And I'd prefer to be amongst the people anyway. :bowdown:

I'll let you guys know how it went.

Re: Snooker Legends Croydon

Postby SnookerFan

Mate, that was a fantastic night. Not quite as magical as the one in Redhill, but I was with somebody who'd never seen snooker live before then, and it was my first legends.

A few quibbles. I'd heard all the John Virgo impressions before, and the seats/layout of the table were marmite. But another mighty fine night at The Legends. And I could walk home. :D

Michaela looked top-notch. Oh, and Jimmy White beat John Parrott on a respotted black. (But only through a massive fluke. JP potted the respotted black, and looked certain to win. BUT THE WHITE ROLLED IN! Jimmy White got the points on the foul, and won the trophy. Unbelievable drama at the Fairfield Halls in Croydon.

Trivia fact. Cliff Thorburn made a 147 in that very venue, in 1989.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 04 Jan 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Mate, that was a fantastic night. Night quite as magical as the one in Redhill, but I was with somebody who'd never seen snooker live before then, and it was my first legends.

A few quibbles. I'd heard all the John Virgo impressions before, and the seats/layout of the table were marmite. But another mighty fine night at The Legends. And I could walk home. :D

Michaela looked top-notch. Oh, and Jimmy White beat John Parrott on a respotted black. (But only through a massive fluke. JP potted the respotted black, and looked certain to win. BUT THE WHITE ROLLED IN! Jimmy White got the points on the foul, and won the trophy. Unbelievable drama at the Fairfield Halls in Croydon.

just a side note here Jimmy wasn't intending on winning the PTC This week then ?????

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:just a side note here Jimmy wasn't intending on winning the PTC This week then ?????

Same thing occured to me. I think obviously, had he still been in the PTCs he'd have chosen that. Bear in mind Tony Knowles stepped in at some of these events when one of the players couldn't make it. Kirk Stevens has also played for the Snooker Legends. As has Ken Doherty (though he's obviously on the main tour.) Hell, at the one in Brighton on Sunday (the day before the PTCs) Andy Goldstein played Jimmy White in a frame. (Yes, you read that correctly.) I'd bet they had some kind of contigency plan. Or at the very least, with three players could've had say, a John Parrott vs Cliff Thorburn match and used Dennis Taylor match. I'm assuming they had some kind of Plan B.

It was also mentioned tonight that after appearing at Brighton, Jimmy White left at 11pm from Brighton, to get to Sheffield at gone 2am, then played three matches in the following day. I don't think Jimmy's dedication to the PTCs are really in question.

Postby Wildey

its a dangerous card to play though they might get Lynched if Jimmy not there <laugh>

Jimmy is full Pelt he really should take it easy hes not the Fittest of Men and to Do the work load he does at nearly 50.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:its a dangerous card to play though they might get Lynched if Jimmy not there <laugh>

Jimmy is full Pelt he really should take it easy hes not the Fittest of Men and to Do the work load he does at nearly 50.

It's a good point, considering we are in South London. rofl

Though, sadly, when I saw Jimmy play Alex Higgins in a best of seven exhibition match in the same venues a couple of years back, there couldn't have been more then a hundred people there. There were plenty tonight though. :bowdown: :bowdown:

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:its a dangerous card to play though they might get Lynched if Jimmy not there <laugh>

its the snooker that keeps him going :hatoff:

the constantly on the road / going from hotel to hotel / living out of a suitcase lifestyle doesnt lead itself to staying fit and healthy but thats all Jimmy known since he was 17

Postby randam05

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Mate, that was a fantastic night. Night quite as magical as the one in Redhill, but I was with somebody who'd never seen snooker live before then, and it was my first legends.

just a side note here Jimmy wasn't intending on winning the PTC This week then ?????

Well during the welsh open, jimmy white came down to a little pub/club thing in my little local town of bideford to do an exhibition thing, which was very strange! and going to the same place in september is john virgo! might book tickets for this one :-) but ayway, had he qualified for the welsh open (which he could of but i cant remember?) then he would have had to book this off i guess!

Its not very confident of him though is it.

Postby SnookerFan

randam05 wrote:
Well during the welsh open, jimmy white came down to a little pub/club thing in my little local town of bideford to do an exhibition thing, which was very strange! and going to the same place in september is john virgo! might book tickets for this one :-) but ayway, had he qualified for the welsh open (which he could of but i cant remember?) then he would have had to book this off i guess!

Its not very confident of him though is it.

No, it's not really is it? rofl Bit realistic though.

It weren't the Welsh Open when he played Ali Carter, was it? rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:how long did the show last for?

what was the format etc?

take it you can drink at them?

It started at 7pm, we got a 15 minute interval at 8:30pm, then the night finished about 9:45. (I was able to walk my friend to the bus stop, wait with her and be home by 10pm. :bowdown: )

There are two semi-finals, two frames each. If the score ends 1-1, they got to a respotted black to decide the match. Also Virgo does his usual impressions and trick shots. After the break, they do a doubles match with two raffle winners partner the losers of the two semis, and they play a game. They buck about a bit. Then there's a two frame final between the winners.

At the one I attended, you were allowed to take booze in. Though obviously, it was booze that had to be purchased at the venue bar.

It really is a good laugh, they all take the snake hiss out of each other, and audience members are allowed to shout stuff and interact.

Postby Wildey

(I was able to walk my friend to the bus stop, wait with her and be home by 10pm.)

couldn't she stay with you :evilgrin:

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
(I was able to walk my friend to the bus stop, wait with her and be home by 10pm.)

couldn't she stay with you :evilgrin:

No. :evilgrin:

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:how long did the show last for?

what was the format etc?

take it you can drink at them?

It started at 7pm, we got a 15 minute interval at 8:30pm, then the night finished about 9:45. (I was able to walk my friend to the bus stop, wait with her and be home by 10pm. :bowdown: )

There are two semi-finals, two frames each. If the score ends 1-1, they got to a respotted black to decide the match. Also Virgo does his usual impressions and trick shots. After the break, they do a doubles match with two raffle winners partner the losers of the two semis, and they play a game. They buck about a bit. Then there's a two frame final between the winners.

At the one I attended, you were allowed to take booze in. Though obviously, it was booze that had to be purchased at the venue bar.

It really is a good laugh, they all take the snake hiss out of each other, and audience members are allowed to shout stuff and interact.

sounds the ticket, who were the 4 players at your event?

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
It started at 7pm, we got a 15 minute interval at 8:30pm, then the night finished about 9:45 so i was able to hit a nearby pub and ply her with drink then by the time we hut a nightclub she was plastered and dragging me up dancing etc etc ;-) :john:

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:

Jimmy White, John Parrott, Cliff Thorburn and Dennis Taylor. With Michaela Tabb refereeing. :clap:

Jimmy White played Dennis Taylor in the first round. JP beat Cliff Thorburn in the second. White got a fluke on the respotted black, when Parrott potted it but the white rolled in and Jimmy White got the points.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Jimmy White, John Parrott, Cliff Thorburn and Dennis Taylor. With Michaela Tabb refereeing. :clap:

Jimmy White played Dennis Taylor in the first round. JP beat Cliff Thorburn in the second. White got a fluke on the respotted black, when Parrott potted it but the white rolled in and Jimmy White got the points.

you would have settled for 4 chimps as long as michaela was ref <laugh>

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

think its them 4 who are in Glasgow in a couple of weeks.

Anyone but Parrot for the win i hope

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
think its them 4 who are in Glasgow in a couple of weeks.

Anyone but Parrot for the win i hope

It's them four more often then not.

I saw them all in Redhill last year, whilst White and JP were still tour players so they whooped ass. Cliff Thorburn has improved with practice in the last year. Dennis Taylor hasn't.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote: Cliff Thorburn has improved with practice in the last year. Dennis Taylor hasn't.

Id hardly say thats true, Taylor did shoot a 73 a few weeks back.......... :chuckle:

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:you would have settled for 4 chimps as long as michaela was ref <laugh>

She went to East Croydon station this morning, according to her tweet. You can see my flat from where she was. :love:

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote: Cliff Thorburn has improved with practice in the last year. Dennis Taylor hasn't.

Id hardly say thats true, Taylor did shoot a 73 a few weeks back.......... :chuckle:

Did he? :D

He must've just played poorly last night.

Postby Wildey

Cliff Thorburn in his Prime was a better Player than Dennis Taylor so nothing changes when you older.