Post a reply

2012 - Connie Gough National Championships

Postby Monique

Tim Dunkley's press release

World Ladies Billiards & Snooker Association press release

TWO women snooker players from Wiltshire will join an international field for the Connie Gough National Championships in Swindon on Saturday.

Jesters Snooker Hall plays host for the fifth leg of the World Ladies Billiards & Snooker Association tour. The action starts at 10am.

Swindon’s Jodie Symes, 17, will be hoping to take advantage of home tables while Gaye Jones will make the short trip from her home in Melksham.

Hong Kong quartet Ng On Yee, Jaique Ip Wan In, So Man Yan and Yu Ching Ching are also in the 22-strong line-up.

But all eyes will be on seven-time world champion Reanne Evans, who returns to the circuit after being laid low with pleurisy.

The 26-year-old from Dudley, West Midlands, has lost her number one spot to Maria Catalano, winner of two ranking events this season.

Evans said: “I want to be back at number one and back winning comps. (But) I’ve only been back playing this week after two months off so I don’t know how I will play.

And she added: “I’m looking forward to playing again after having so long off.”

Evans has claimed the Connie Gough title for the last three years. Catalano claimed the three previous to that.

Portsmouth’s Emma Bonney will be bidding for back-to-back victories after lifting the Southern Classic trophy in Fareham last month.

The two youngest entrants are 12-year-old Jasmine Bolsover, from Woking, and 15-year-old England international Hannah Jones, from Derby.

An action-packed day includes a Plate competition, a Shield and a Seniors event.

Connie Gough National Championship

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Jesters Snooker Hall

Greenbridge Road

Swindon

SN3 3JD

Tel: 01793 420660

2012 CONNIE GOUGH NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP ENTRIES

Reanne Evans (Dudley, West Mids)

Maria Catalano (Dudley, West Mids)

Emma Bonney (Portsmouth)

Jenny Poulter (Maidstone)

Tina Owen-Sevilton (Bridgewater, Somerset)

Suzie Opacic (Brambridge, Hampshire)

Katie Henrick (Bickley, Kent)

Gaye Jones (Melksham, Wilts)

Eva Palmius (Isleham, Cambs)

Martina Lumsden (Eastbourne)

Natascha Niermann (Cambridge)

Jan Hughes (St Neots, Cambs)

Vicky Carter (Stevenage)

Jodie Symes (Swindon)

Ng On Yee (Hong Kong)

Jaique Ip Wan In (Hong Kong)

So Man Yan (Hong Kong)

Yu Ching Ching (Hong Kong)

Jasmine Bolsover (Woking)

Marianne Williams (Smallfield, Surrey)

Chris Sharpe (Chelmsford)

Hannah Jones (Derby)

Tim Dunkley (WLBSA press office)

88 Lionheart Way

Bursledon Green

Southampton

SO31 8HN

Tel home: 02380 562647

Mobile: 07986 376114

E-Mail: timdunkleysnookerdad@hotmail.com

Re: 2012 - Connie Gough National Championships

Postby Witz78

Ching Ching all the way for me :D

WOW, thats a shock to see Reannes not number 1 ranked anymore? how the hell can that be, it says Catalina has won 2 events but surely Reanne musta cleaned up in the rest of them

Postby Monique

Witz78 wrote:Ching Ching all the way for me :D

WOW, thats a shock to see Reannes not number 1 ranked anymore? how the hell can that be, it says Catalina has won 2 events but surely Reanne musta cleaned up in the rest of them

Reanne has not been playing for over 2 months because of pleurisy.

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Ching Ching all the way for me :D

Reanne has not been playing for over 2 months because of pleurisy.

whats pleurisy again? isnt that like something people got in the 18th century :shrug:

id have thought with even 2 months off she would still surely be miles clear in the rankings? :shrug:

Postby Monique

And the results …

excerpts from Tim Dunkley's press release

World Ladies Billiards & Snooker Association press release

Catalano clinches fourth Connie Gough title

WORLD number one Maria Catalano ended a marathon 13-hour day on the women’s snooker circuit as champion of her “special tournament” for the fourth time.

Five days after turning 30, Catalano swept past Hong Kong star Jaique Ip Wan In to claim the Connie Gough Memorial trophy at Jesters Snooker Hall, Swindon.

Her 3-0 victory avenged a last-16 defeat in last month’s Southern Classic.

“I owed her that one,” laughed Catalano.

It was her third title this season on the World Ladies Billiards & Snooker Association tour and an eighth in total.

But it’s the Connie Gough, which she also won three times between 2006 and 2008, that she holds dear to her heart.

“It’s the Connie Gough,” declared Catalano. “It’s always been a special tournament because it’s a memorial one for Julie’s (Hemingway) mum. And I love Julie to bits. So to do well in this means a lot.

“I spoke to Julie this morning and she wished me all the best and said she hoped I’d win it.”

There was no easy return to the circuit for seven-time world champion Reanne Evans, who had been laid low with pleurisy.

The Connie Gough champion for the last three years came up against Catalano in the preliminary round and lost 3-2.

Catalano, from Dudley, West Midlands, said: “It’s always good to play Reanne. We’ve had some good matches over the years.

“Obviously, to beat Reanne is always a great achievement. (The circuit) needs players like Reanne.”

Ip Wan In, also a beaten finalist at the Southern Classic, accounted for world number eight Katie Henrick 3-2 in the last-four.

In the second semi, Catalano overcame Ip Wan In’s compatriot Ng On Yee 3-0. Ng had beaten Southern Classic champion Emma Bonney 3-0 in the last-16.

Evans, who had slipped to joint third in the rankings with pregnant Vicky Carter, did return to winning ways in the Plate.

The 26-year-old from Dudley, West Midlands, compiled a 91 break against the home club’s Jodie Symes and rounded off eight winning frames with a 2-0 victory over Tina Owen-Sevilton (Somerset) in the final.

Jan Hughes (St Neots, Cambs) picked up her first Seniors (40+) trophy of the season, beating Gaye Jones (Melksham, Wilts) in the final.

And Hampshire’s Suzie Opacic defeated Symes to collect the Shield (under-40) trophy.

The sixth and final leg of the 2011/12 WLBSA tour is the Greene King World Championships in Bury St Edmunds in April.

RESULTS (BREAKS)

PRELIM: Jodie Symes beat Chris Sharpe 3-1, Jaique Ip Wan In (47) beat Martina Lumsden 3-0, Katie Henrick (46) beat Suzie Opacic 3-0, Vicky Carter beat Gaye Jones 3-0, Natascha Niermann beat Jenny Poulter 3-1, Maria Catalano beat Reanne Evans (40, 63) 3-2.

LAST-16: Hannah Jones (30) beat Symes 3-0, Ip Wan In beat Tina Owen-Sevilton 3-1, Henrick beat Jasmine Bolsover 3-0, Ng On Yee beat Emma Bonney 3-0, Yu Ching Ching (33) beat Marianne Williams 3-0, Carter beat Eva Palmius 3-1, Niermann beat Jan Hughes 3-0, Catalano beat So Man Yan 3-1.

QUARTER-FINALS: Ip Wan In (27, 64, 34) beat H Jones 3-0, Henrick (27) beat Ng 3-2, Yu (33) beat Carter 3-0, Catalano beat Niermann 3-1.

SEMI-FINALS (£50): Ip Wan In (30) beat Henrick 3-2, Catalano beat Yu 3-0.

FINAL (£150/£100): Catalano (41) beat Ip Wan In 3-0.

SENIORS (40+)

QUARTER-FINAL: Jan Hughes beat Jenny Poulter 1-0, Marianne Williams beat Martina Lumsden 1-0.

SEMI-FINALS: Hughes beat Chris Sharpe 1-0, Gaye Jones beat Williams 1-0.

FINAL: Hughes beat Jones 1-0.

PLATE

LAST-16: Martina Lumsden beat Gaye Jones 2-0, Suzie Opacic beat Marianne Williams 2-1, Jenny Poulter beat Chris Sharpe 2-1, Reanne Evans (91) beat Jodie Symes 2-0, Jan Hughes beat Jasmine Bolsover 2-0.

QUARTER-FINALS: Tina Owen-Sevilton beat Lumsden 2-0, Eva Palmius (40) beat Opacic 2-0, Evans beat Poulter 2-0, So Man Yan beat Hughes 2-0.

SEMI-FINALS: Owen-Sevilton beat Palmius 2-1, Evans beat So 2-0.

FINAL (£25/£15): Evans beat Owen-Sevilton 2-0.

SHIELD (UNDER-40)

SEMI-FINALS: Jodie Symes beat Hannah Jones 1-0, Suzie Opacic beat Vicky Carter 1-0,

FINAL: Opacic beat Symes 1-0.

NEXT RANKING EVENT

Greene King-sponsored World Championships

Starts Friday, April 20, 2012

Pot Black Sports Bar

Eastgate Street

Bury St Edmunds

Suffolk

IP33 1YQ

Tel: 01284 704231

More details and action shots of most of the ladies available from:

Tim Dunkley (WLBSA press office)

88 Lionheart Way

Bursledon Green

Southampton

SO31 8HN

Tel home: 02380 562647

Mobile: 07986 376114

Postby Witz78

why was Catalano playing Evans in the prelim round ??????

and why are they even playing in an event with £350 total prize money.

Im having a knockout next wknd with mates and therell be far more changing hands :D (hopefully into my hands)

Postby Monique

Witz78 wrote:why was Catalano playing Evans in the prelim round ??????

and why are they even playing in an event with £350 total prize money.

Im having a knockout next wknd with mates and therell be far more changing hands :D (hopefully into my hands)

Because there is no seeding anymore in the Ladies. You know? ... that flat structure ;-)
And that sort prize money is just usual… so unlikely for the girls to be able to do this except as a hobby innit?