Post a reply

Ladies UK Championship 2011 in Woking

Postby Monique

Tim Dunkley's Press Release
Catalano bids for rare double in Woking

MARIA Catalano heads to Woking on Sunday in a bid to land back-to-back titles on the women’s snooker circuit for the first time in five years.

Ronnie O’Sullivan’s 29-year-old cousin joins a 19-strong field for the UK Championship, the second of six ranking events on the World Ladies Billiards & Snooker Association (WLBSA) tour, at Woking Snooker Centre.

Last month, en route to clinching the Northern Championship at the North East Derbyshire Snooker Centre, Clay Cross, Catalano ended seven-time world champion Reanne Evans’ record 90-match unbeaten run.

World number one Evans will no doubt be fired up to win the UK title for the seventh year on the spin.

Catalano last won back-to-back titles in 2006 when she claimed the Regal Ladies and the Connie Gough National.

Eleven-year-old Woking schoolgirl Jasmine Bolsover, the world number 21 and youngest girl on the tour, makes her first appearance of the season at her home club.

Making her tour debut will be Shaghayegh Sanei, known as Anna, an Iranian international studying at the University of Surrey.

In line with the WLBSA’s new policy, there will be an open draw for the UK Championship.

The WLBSA is grateful to Woking Snooker Centre for providing the venue.

UK Championship (ranking event)

10am, Sunday, October 30, 2011

Woking Snooker Centre
Kingfield Road
Woking
GU22 9AA
Tel: 01483 762754

2011 UK CHAMPIONSHIP ENTRIES

Reanne Evans (Dudley, West Mids)
Maria Catalano (Dudley, West Mids)
Emma Bonney (Portsmouth)
Katie Henrick (Bickley, Kent)
Jenny Poulter (Maidstone)
Chris Sharpe (Chelmsford)
Suzie Opacic (Brambridge, Hampshire)
Marianne Williams (Smallfield, Surrey)
Gaye Jones (Melksham, Wilts)
Tina Owen-Sevilton (Taunton)
Natascha Niermann (Cambridge)
Naomi Clare (Ripley, Derbys)
Maureen Rowland (Wallsend, Tyne & Wear)
Jan Hughes (St Neots, Cambs)
Vicky Carter (Hemel Hempstead)
Martina Lumsden (Eastbourne)
Jasmine Bolsover (Woking)
Jodie Symes (Swindon)
Shaghayegh (Anna) Sanei (Iran)

More details and action shots of most of the ladies available from:

Tim Dunkley (WLBSA press office)
88 Lionheart Way
Bursledon Green
Southampton
SO31 8HN

Tel home: 02380 562647
Mobile: 07986 376114
E-Mail: timdunkleysnookerdad@hotmail.com

Note that I have removed the "ranking table" from this press release because it doesn't show properly on the forum.

Re: Ladies UK Championship 2011 in Woking

Postby Tubberlad

Bourne wrote:Haha I don't live far from this, in fact i've played at that very venue.

You going to watch and support the women's game Bourne? :|

Postby Bourne

Tubberlad wrote:
Bourne wrote:Haha I don't live far from this, in fact i've played at that very venue.

You going to watch and support the women's game Bourne? :|

:mosh2:

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Sonny wrote:No Hannah?

No. Choices to be made coz of expenses.

mark :emb:

;-)

Postby GJ

bourne can give his fox or non fox verdicts once this is over

:bow: :spot on:

Postby markj147

Shes playing at woking the day before in easb ladies tour then on junior tour in bury against the lads. So this time its a clash of events.

She will miss the southern classic next year as well but will be in the other events.:)

Monique is right though I am weighing up the each event.

Postby Monique

Evans: back to basics and back to winning ways

REANNE Evans returned to winning ways on the women’s snooker circuit after a hard-fought battle with Portsmouth’s Emma Bonney in the UK Championship final.
Two days after her 26th birthday, the seven-time world champion ground out a 3-2 victory from 2-1 down at Woking Snooker Centre.
Evans admitted she was forced to go “back to basics” to overcome six-time world billiards champion Bonney and claim her seventh straight UK title.
“I didn’t play very well at all,” she said. “It went really scrappy.
“Emma potted well. In the decider she went a bit negative and it left me a couple of chances.
“I couldn’t pot a ball so I went back to basics.”
And the world number one, whose record 90-match unbeaten run on the World Ladies Billiards & Snooker Association (WLBSA) circuit was ended last month by Maria Catalano, declared: “A win is a win!”
Bonney, 35, who had an opportunity at 2-1 to secure the match, defeated eight-time German national champion Natascha Niermann 3-1 in the last-four.
The second semi pitched Evans, no great lover of this season’s open-draw format, against Catalano.
But there was to be no repeat of the shock result at the Northern Championship between the friends from Dudley, West Midlands. Evans ran out a 3-0 winner.
Evans, never in full flow all day, “didn’t know how” she recorded the top break of 80 against Gaye Jones (Melksham, Wilts) in the quarter-finals.
Meanwhile, Maidstone’s Jenny Poulter won her second Seniors (over-40) title of the season. Former England international Marianne Williams (Smallfield, Surrey) collected the Plate trophy. And Vicky Carter (Hemel Hempstead) triumphed in the Shield (under-40).
World number four Katie Henrick (Bickley, Kent) and former world number six Suzie Opacic (Hampshire) both lost in the last-16 on their return to the circuit.
Making her WLBSA debut was Shaghayegh Sanei, known as Anna, an Iranian international studying at the University of Surrey. Sanei was knocked out in the preliminary round.

RESULTS (BREAKS)

PRELIM: Marianne Williams beat Shaghayegh Sanei 3-0, Martina Lumsden w/o Jodie Symes.
LAST-16: Natascha Niermann beat Williams 3-0, Jasmine Bolsover w/o Chris Sharpe, Jenny Poulter beat Naomi Clare 3-0, Emma Bonney beat Katie Henrick 3-0, Reanne Evans beat Jan Hughes 3-0, Gaye Jones beat Maureen Rowland 3-0, Vicky Carter (36) beat Suzie Opacic (32) 3-0, Maria Catalano (30) beat Lumsden 3-1.
QUARTER-FINALS: Niermann beat Bolsover 3-1, Bonney (44) beat Poulter 3-0, Evans (80) beat Jones 3-0, Catalano (32) beat Carter 3-0.
SEMI-FINALS (£35): Bonney (59) beat Niermann 3-1, Evans beat Catalano 3-0.
FINAL (£105/£70): Evans beat Bonney 3-2.

SENIORS (40+)

FINAL: Jenny Poulter beat Maureen Rowland 2-0.

PLATE

QUARTER-FINALS: Jan Hughes beat Suzie Opacic 2-1, Shaghayegh Sanei beat Naomi Clare 2-0, Martina Lumsden beat Maureen Rowland 2-0, Marianne Williams bye.
SEMI-FINALS: Hughes beat Sanei 2-0, Williams beat Lumsden 2-1.
FINAL (£15/£10): Williams beat Hughes 2-0.

SHIELD (UNDER-40)

SEMI-FINALS: Vicky Carter beat Naomi Clare 1-0, Suzie Opacic beat Jasmine Bolsover 1-0.
FINAL: Carter beat Opacic 2-0.

2011 UK CHAMPIONSHIP ENTRIES

Reanne Evans (Dudley, West Mids)
Maria Catalano (Dudley, West Mids)
Emma Bonney (Portsmouth)
Katie Henrick (Bickley, Kent)
Jenny Poulter (Maidstone)
Suzie Opacic (Brambridge, Hampshire)
Marianne Williams (Smallfield, Surrey)
Gaye Jones (Melksham, Wilts)
Natascha Niermann (Cambridge)
Naomi Clare (Ripley, Derbys)