Post a reply

US Women's Open

Postby gninnur karona

Anyone interested the OXBilliards youtube channel has coverage.

The top four seeds have qualified for the quarter-finals. Among those joining them 73 year old Maryann McConnell who, according to her player profile, last played a women's tour event at the 1995 world championship.

Re: US Women's Open

Postby lhpirnie

Yes, this tournament was never going to be competitive until the semi-finals. All four of the quarter-finals were one-sided, won 3-0. Only Nutharut Wongharuthai and Ng On Yee have made a 50+ break, and indeed both have made one 100+ (Mink has made six 50+ as well as the 107).

The women's tour has tried to be more international and inclusive than WST's tour, but presumably the costs of travelling have decimated the field. Only 3 of the women's top-25 are in the field for this 'ranking' tournament. It's possible that by turning up to all the ranking events, Jamie Hunter might obtain a high enough ranking to qualify for the main tour, even though we know that Ng On Yee, Bai Yulu and probably Wendy Jans are better.

Postby GeF

lhpirnie wrote:Yes, this tournament was never going to be competitive until the semi-finals. All four of the quarter-finals were one-sided, won 3-0. Only Nutharut Wongharuthai and Ng On Yee have made a 50+ break, and indeed both have made one 100+ (Mink has made six 50+ as well as the 107).

The women's tour has tried to be more international and inclusive than WST's tour, but presumably the costs of travelling have decimated the field. Only 3 of the women's top-25 are in the field for this 'ranking' tournament. It's possible that by turning up to all the ranking events, Jamie Hunter might obtain a high enough ranking to qualify for the main tour, even though we know that Ng On Yee, Bai Yulu and probably Wendy Jans are better.

This is the first time I see 2 different players making a century.

You saw 3 top 25, I saw 4 top 5. But you are right, these 4 are the only real snooker players in the field.

About ranking, WWS says that the 14 best results will be counting for the ranking among possibly 17.
Here is the "race to card" after quarter-finals (top 10 and the gap with the current player leading the race) :

1 Mink Nutcharut (leader)
2 Jamie Hunter -3625
3 Rebecca Kenna -5063
4 On Yee Ng -7938
5 Ploychompoo Laokiatphong -13313
6 Mary Talbot-Deegan -18963
7 Emma Parker -20563
8 Bai Yulu -20688
9 Tessa Davidson -21813
10 Ho Yee Ki -22563

Postby lhpirnie

GeF wrote:You saw 3 top 25, I saw 4 top 5. But you are right, these 4 are the only real snooker players in the field.

Yes, I miscounted. Those 4 players were very clear favourites to reach the semis.