Post a reply

English Snooker Championships Archive

Postby thecueview

Hello everyone!

Long time, no speak. I hope you are all coping well during these difficult circumstances.

I was wondering if someone could help me please. I am trying to put together an archive/roll of honour for several English national championship events (except the English Amateur Championship - results are online for this already).

Specifically, I am interested in the junior events, therefore Under-21, Under-16 etc. I have managed to get together results since the early 90s, but there are A LOT of gaps. There are several big name players who have won the English Under-15s Championship - Murphy, Selby, Trump.

Can anyone help please?

Re: English Snooker Championships Archive

Postby SnookerEd25

Steve Ventham (U16 National runner-up in 1981 & winner in 82) was a Mitcham lad, like myself. He garnered a lot of local press attention around this time, as snooker was 'ruling the world'. Sadly, never really did much as a pro' but did have the distinction of appearing on TV against Stephen Hendry in the final of Junior Pot Black in 1983.

I often wonder what happened to him... :chin:

Edit : just checked - he beat Hendry in the semi-final and lost to John Parrott in the final. Both were televised.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerEd25 wrote:Steve Ventham (U16 National runner-up in 1981 & winner in 82) was a Mitcham lad, like myself. He garnered a lot of local press attention around this time, as snooker was 'ruling the world'. Sadly, never really did much as a pro' but did have the distinction of appearing on TV against Stephen Hendry in the final of Junior Pot Black in 1983.

Edit : just checked - he beat Hendry in the semi-final and lost to John Parrott in the final. Both were televised.

Think he was in the Cockney Classic too. Sure I have seen him on you tube

Postby mick745

SnookerEd25 wrote:Steve Ventham (U16 National runner-up in 1981 & winner in 82) was a Mitcham lad, like myself. He garnered a lot of local press attention around this time, as snooker was 'ruling the world'. Sadly, never really did much as a pro' but did have the distinction of appearing on TV against Stephen Hendry in the final of Junior Pot Black in 1983.

Hendry was about 50 points ahead i think but played a weak safety shot and Steve Ventham dished up a 60 odd break to win. Hendry says he was trying very hard not to cry on television.

Postby SnookerEd25

Dan-cat wrote:The cockney classic... Were the refs Chas and Dave?

I remember the Cockney Classic. Speaking of refs, Len Ganley played in a frame that Steve Davis refereed - I remember that much.

Postby badtemperedcyril

When you look at it, some of those names would go on to be fantastic players!

Ray Reardon, Cliff Wilson, Rex Williams, Marcus Owen, Mark Wildman, Eddie Sinclair, John Virgo, Joe Johnson, Willie Thorne, Tony Knowles, Eugene Hughes, Tony Meo, Dean Reynolds, Neal Foulds, John Parrott - there's a few titles among that lot!

The Under 16s list features Hallett, Jimmy White and Hendry.