Post a reply

English Snooker Championships Archive

Postby thecueview

Hello everyone!

Long time, no speak. I hope you are all coping well during these difficult circumstances.

I was wondering if someone could help me please. I am trying to put together an archive/roll of honour for several English national championship events (except the English Amateur Championship - results are online for this already).

Specifically, I am interested in the junior events, therefore Under-21, Under-16 etc. I have managed to get together results since the early 90s, but there are A LOT of gaps. There are several big name players who have won the English Under-15s Championship - Murphy, Selby, Trump.

Can anyone help please?

Re: English Snooker Championships Archive

Postby SnookerEd25

Steve Ventham (U16 National runner-up in 1981 & winner in 82) was a Mitcham lad, like myself. He garnered a lot of local press attention around this time, as snooker was 'ruling the world'. Sadly, never really did much as a pro' but did have the distinction of appearing on TV against Stephen Hendry in the final of Junior Pot Black in 1983.

I often wonder what happened to him... :chin:

Edit : just checked - he beat Hendry in the semi-final and lost to John Parrott in the final. Both were televised.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerEd25 wrote:Steve Ventham (U16 National runner-up in 1981 & winner in 82) was a Mitcham lad, like myself. He garnered a lot of local press attention around this time, as snooker was 'ruling the world'. Sadly, never really did much as a pro' but did have the distinction of appearing on TV against Stephen Hendry in the final of Junior Pot Black in 1983.

Edit : just checked - he beat Hendry in the semi-final and lost to John Parrott in the final. Both were televised.

Think he was in the Cockney Classic too. Sure I have seen him on you tube

Postby mick745

SnookerEd25 wrote:Steve Ventham (U16 National runner-up in 1981 & winner in 82) was a Mitcham lad, like myself. He garnered a lot of local press attention around this time, as snooker was 'ruling the world'. Sadly, never really did much as a pro' but did have the distinction of appearing on TV against Stephen Hendry in the final of Junior Pot Black in 1983.

Hendry was about 50 points ahead i think but played a weak safety shot and Steve Ventham dished up a 60 odd break to win. Hendry says he was trying very hard not to cry on television.

Postby SnookerEd25

Dan-cat wrote:The cockney classic... Were the refs Chas and Dave?

I remember the Cockney Classic. Speaking of refs, Len Ganley played in a frame that Steve Davis refereed - I remember that much.