Post a reply

Re: SWSA 2012 Spring Snooker Festival

Postby Roland

I'm in Gloucester, wise move to go a day early with the roadworks around Birmingham, if I hit that in the morning I'd have missed my match. Anyway, chill time.

Postby randam05

Off to bed I go! First round of the open at 9.30 tomorrow wish me luck! All will be updated via Roland I guess.

Thanks for the wishes hopefully we can do the island proud.

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:Off to bed I go! First round of the open at 9.30 tomorrow wish me luck! All will be updated via Roland I guess.

Thanks for the wishes hopefully we can do the island proud.

yes updated on twitter here https://twitter.com/#!/snookerisland

randam the SI Team secret weapon going great guns

Postby jadechelsea

I had a good 3-1 win in the main arena at 9.30 then a 3-0 win to reach the last 32 tomorrow. Also beat Jay Bullen on the black in decider of Junior tournament to reach last 16! was tense, but good win. Then unfortunately lost 2-0. So got team event tomorrow and last 32 of the Open :)

Postby Wildey

jadechelsea WC wrote:Woops, that was by me, randam05, by the way, forgot I took jades laptop and not mine.

hahaha

you might do well in the junior girls aswell <laugh>

Postby Roland

Jake was the star of the show today for team Snooker Island, albeit with having the night off but he's a proper little player, got all the right qualities.

I'm back in the hotel now having turned down a night of Wizards tours with the Wiz himself and Gaz Allen. Some of us has early starts plus tomorrow night is what we're saving ourselves for. That doesn't mean I won't have a sore head in the morning from the trial period.

It's been a great opening day although my own personal campaign faltered s0mewhat at the first hurdle. I had a 9:30am match and playing snooker at this time in a morning is completely alien to me and it took me 2 frames to adjust to the sighting of the balls (my eyes were asleep) and the pace of the tables. I got there during frame 3 and started to play pretty well actually but I wasn't playing a mug and lost on the black following a wicked bounce after potting a good pink and hitting it perfect. The bounce meant I had to use the long rest with all the extensions and wobbly rubbish and I missed, and never got a clear cut chance again. As you do, I felt if I'd got that black I would've come back and won because I didn't fear the opponent and knew I could beat him if I carried on but it wasn't to be. He's still in the event though, won his next 2 matches so fair play to him.

I've really just been following Team SI members, and Reanne drew a good crowd for her match which she won very comfortably 3-0. On the next table Ben was struggling against a grinder but was giving off obvious body language signs which said to the opponent "keep doing that because you're frustrating the hell out of me". In the end he played a couple of good frames to win 3-2 after thrashing them about a bit in the first 3 frames.

Oliver Brown is a very good player, but after watching him dominate his first frame I thought I'd seen enough only to find out he'd lost 3-2. One thing I will say is his opponent must have played bloody well.

Kyren Wilson is quality, pure and simple. I would be surprised if he doesn't win the open individual event.

The rest of the day was very entertaining watching the other teams battle it out against each other. It was good to watch and was the plus side of not having a game to play because I got into the spirit of the event. The funniest part was watching the Wizard of Glos's team play because the buzzword was "careless" after the fact the players hate that expression the most from everything commentators come out with. Everything was "that was careless" and in the end Craig (the Wizard of Glos) when completely trollied, got his team a vital 3-2 win in the last game despite several careless shots including a miscued long blue at the end. Somehow he had a second attempt at the same shot straight after and nailed it. Careless.

Had a lot of good chats with various folks throughout the day. I love the SWSA, it's probably my favourite place in the world.

Postby PLtheRef

Sonny wrote:Jake was the star of the show today for team Snooker Island, albeit with having the night off but he's a proper little player, got all the right qualities.

I'm back in the hotel now having turned down a night of Wizards tours with the Wiz himself and Gaz Allen. Some of us has early starts plus tomorrow night is what we're saving ourselves for. That doesn't mean I won't have a sore head in the morning from the trial period.

It's been a great opening day although my own personal campaign faltered s0mewhat at the first hurdle. I had a 9:30am match and playing snooker at this time in a morning is completely alien to me and it took me 2 frames to adjust to the sighting of the balls (my eyes were asleep) and the pace of the tables. I got there during frame 3 and started to play pretty well actually but I wasn't playing a mug and lost on the black following a wicked bounce after potting a good pink and hitting it perfect. The bounce meant I had to use the long rest with all the extensions and wobbly donkey doo and I missed, and never got a clear cut chance again. As you do, I felt if I'd got that black I would've come back and won because I didn't fear the opponent and knew I could beat him if I carried on but it wasn't to be. He's still in the event though, won his next 2 matches so fair play to him.

I've really just been following Team SI members, and Reanne drew a good crowd for her match which she won very comfortably 3-0. On the next table Ben was struggling against a grinder but was giving off obvious body language signs which said to the opponent "keep doing that because you're frustrating the hell out of me". In the end he played a couple of good frames to win 3-2 after thrashing them about a bit in the first 3 frames.

Oliver Brown is a very good player, but after watching him dominate his first frame I thought I'd seen enough only to find out he'd lost 3-2. One thing I will say is his opponent must have played bloody well.

Kyren Wilson is quality, pure and simple. I would be surprised if he doesn't win the open individual event.

The rest of the day was very entertaining watching the other teams battle it out against each other. It was good to watch and was the plus side of not having a game to play because I got into the spirit of the event. The funniest part was watching the Wizard of Glos's team play because the buzzword was "careless" after the fact the players hate that expression the most from everything commentators come out with. Everything was "that was careless" and in the end Craig (the Wizard of Glos) when completely trollied, got his team a vital 3-2 win in the last game despite several careless shots including a miscued long blue at the end. Somehow he had a second attempt at the same shot straight after and nailed it. Careless.

Had a lot of good chats with various folks throughout the day. I love the SWSA, it's probably my favourite place in the world.

Great start for the Island then. SWSA is a brilliant venue. Love to referee there :-) -

Be prepared for Wizard tours Sonny; thats the best advice ;-) The imperial system of measurement a few steps equals a mile. A mile equals two etc.

Anyway of getting the results up? All the website has is the draws.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Island Team Together

Left to right: Jake Frank, Reanne Evans, Ben Harrison, Oliver Brown, Kyren Wilson (kissing the wrong team member!)
Last edited by Wildey on 10 Mar 2012, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Wildey

Group B

1 Belgrave--------------------2-2-0-8-2
1 Snooker Island-------------2-2-0-8-2
3 Cornwall East--------------3-2-1-9-6
4 Waterproof Wallposting B--2-0-2-2-8
5 Forest of Dean A-----------3-0-2-3-12
Last edited by Wildey on 10 Mar 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Postby PLtheRef

Looking good.

For those interested its only Group winners who qualify for the semi-finals.

Postby Wildey

Group A

1 WEBST-----------2-2-0-7-3
2 West Midlands---2-2-0-6-4
3 Perfections-------2-1-1-6-4
4 TSF--------------3-1-2-6-9
5 Acadamy---------3-0-3-5-10

Postby Wildey

Group C

1 Cornwall West------------------2-2-0-7-4
1 Peters Potters------------------2-2-0-7-4
3 Safe Journey-------------------2-1-1-5-5
4 Waterproof Wallposting A------1-0-1-2-3
5 Phenolic Phianthropists--------3-0-3-4-11

Postby Wildey

Group D

1 The Wizards----------3-3-0-12-3
2 The Snooker Stats----2-2-0-6-4
3 Efficiency-------------2-0-2-4-6
4 Forest of Dean B------2-0-2-3-7
5 Gloucester------------1-0-1-0-5

Postby Roland

Sat here waiting for people to turn up. Team SI need 2 poInts to qualify, then we have 3 of the 4 semi-finalists in Reanne v Ben and Kyren (v need to fInd out who).

Right, come on #teamSI

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Sat here waiting for people to turn up. Team SI need 2 poInts to qualify, then we have 3 of the 4 semi-finalists in Reanne v Ben and Kyren (v need to fInd out who).

Right, come on #teamSI

i think its safe to say Team SI has been the Best Team of the Festival.

3 Semi Finalists and so far as a unit conceded 3 frames and winning 12.

GO ON SNOOKER ISLAND

Postby Wildey

Team Snooker Island has won 4 matches 4-1,4-1,4-1 and 3-2 so they in the semi Finals waiting on confirmation who they are playing in the Semi Final but order of play for the Island is

Oliver Brown
Kyren Wilson
Reanne Evans
Jake Frank
Ben Harrison.

and Team SI is represented in the Open Final where Kyren Wilson plays Ben Harrison for the Trophy

Postby GJ

if it starts at 5pm what is sonny currently tweeting about

1-1

:gag: :?