Martin O'Donnell v Scott Donaldson
Bobby Cruickshanks v Vincent Muldoon
Daniel Wells v Adam Duffy/Michael Leslie
Lee Walker v Marcin Nitschke/Kevin Van Hove

England v Scotland
Scotland v Ireland
Wales v England
Wales v Poland / Belgium

shoulda just cut to the chase and held it in Sheffield since these foreigners werent up to the job <doh>

Re: EBSA Championships 2011 is LIVE

Postby roy142857

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:Quarter Final Draw

England v Scotland
Scotland v Ireland
Wales v England
Wales v Poland / Belgium

shoulda just cut to the chase and held it in Sheffield since these foreigners werent up to the job <doh>

See what you're saying (and couldn't believe how Borg fell apart there - after TWENTY ONE breaks of 50+ in the tournament) ... but it did give some young players from the continent a chance to mix it with the best UK and continental amateurs - Michał Zieliński and Andreas Ploner in particular seemed up to the standard, and Georgi Velichkov of Bulgaria, though not up to the standard of Ploner and Zieliński, didn't seem far off. All in their late teens - what I'm not sure of is what they can do to get enough challenging matches to improve their matchplay, interested to know anyone else's thoughts on that - do they simply have to move to the UK?

Postby Wildey

roy142857 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:Quarter Final Draw

England v Scotland
Scotland v Ireland
Wales v England
Wales v Poland / Belgium

See what you're saying (and couldn't believe how Borg fell apart there - after TWENTY ONE breaks of 50+ in the tournament) ... but it did give some young players from the continent a chance to mix it with the best UK and continental amateurs - Michał Zieliński and Andreas Ploner in particular seemed up to the standard, and Georgi Velichkov of Bulgaria, though not up to the standard of Ploner and Zieliński, didn't seem far off. All in their late teens - what I'm not sure of is what they can do to get enough challenging matches to improve their matchplay, interested to know anyone else's thoughts on that - do they simply have to move to the UK?

that is where the EPTC Comes in <ok>

Postby Monique

You don't seem to realise that for a Polish player to come to play in Germany or Belgium is as far away from home, and comparatively more expensive than it is for a UK player. Mainland Europe is vast.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:You don't seem to realise that for a Polish player to come to play in Germany or Belgium is as far away from home, and comparatively more expensive than it is for a UK player. Mainland Europe is vast.

but there will be events in poland if they want them......Barry will take them anywhere.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:One event in the season won't do the trick. They need to play against better opposition on a regular basis.

they will have to travel then you cant have a tour entirely in poland that means a larger percentage of players will have to do the traveling but by having EPTC it gives mainland amataurs better chance of playing competitive snooker against top players than ever before.

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:One event in the season won't do the trick. They need to play against better opposition on a regular basis.

a European feeder tour (no UK or Irish players) to the main tour would be my proposal. Could be played on a tournament by tournament basis taking snooker to these different countries with rankings counting at the end of the season. This would give these guys competitive snooker, whilst helping spread snooker around Europe further. To boost the profile of the tournaments there could be an obligation for say 4 main tour players including one top 16 name to play in each of the events.

Id have a similar Asian tour running.

So of the 100 tour places, then the top 64 survive.

9 Asian players qualify from the Asian tour rankings.

9 European players qualify from the European tour rankings

9 British / Eire players qualify from their positions on the PTC list

6 non top 64 players qualify via PTC

1 North American wildcard

1 South American wildcard

1 South African wildcard

Postby Wildey

Quarter Final Draw

Daniel Wells v Adam Duffy
Lee Walker v Kevin Van Hove

Postby Wildey

who would you rather see taking the one remaining MT Spot

Martin O'Donnell
Scott Donaldson
Bobby Cruickshanks
Vincent Muldoon
Lee Walker
Kevin Van Hove

wells and duffy already on tour.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:who would you rather see taking the one remaining MT Spot

Martin O'Donnell
Scott Donaldson
Bobby Cruickshanks
Vincent Muldoon
Lee Walker
Kevin Van Hove

hopefully Wells or Duffy wins it then they give a wildcard to :limp:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:

Martin O'Donnell
Scott Donaldson
Bobby Cruickshanks
Vincent Muldoon
Lee Walker
Kevin Van Hove

maybe for so many near misses in Q SchoolDavid Gray might get it <laugh>

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Martin O'Donnell
Scott Donaldson
Bobby Cruickshanks
Vincent Muldoon
Lee Walker
Kevin Van Hove

maybe for so many near misses in Q SchoolDavid Gray might get it <laugh>

:fart:

to be honest they would surely have to give the runner up a place on tour.

It would make a mockery of the efforts in the people running this 2 week long tournament if no-one got a place on tour from it, and would be a kick in the teeth to the players, as if the WPSBA were dismissing the standard of the players.

Also would likely lead to a policy where you couldnt enter the event if youd already qualified for the tour in future.

Postby roy142857

John From London Town wrote:Vinny Muldoon for me tho Scott Donaldson is only 17 or something so that would be good for him, Scottish Snooker & overall for Snooker too which shows there is young 'uns playing the game.

I'd like to say van Hove, just not sure he's got the game to get anywhere on the rankings, so ...

Vincent Muldoon for me too - because he didn't get a shot at Q School because of the clash with his Uni exams, and I've been impressed with the number of breaks he's put up ('though that doesn't count for everything - see comments re Borg!).

Postby roy142857

Absolutely. Perhaps partly taking the game to their countries more, but if snooker is keen to spread the game in Europe, maybe there should be some sort of subsidy of travel, accomodation etc to allow a group of young Continental players to stay over here for a chunk of the year and play in say some PTC's, perhaps one of the Snookerbacker events that are being proposed, Q School (Pink Ribbon! Or perhaps too close to next year's EBSA Championship?) - something that gets them plenty of matchplay experience, which is what I thought was lacking (take this with a pinch of salt - I'm about as far from being expert as you can get!)

Postby roy142857

The Continental Europeans have met a similar fate in the Masters, just one Belgian left -

Quarter Finals are:

Darren Morgan v Steve Judd
Frank Sarsfield v Tom Gleeson
Paul Jamieson v Alan Trigg
Kurt Desplenter v David Hooper

(Yes - I know, Trigg competes for Ukraine ... presumably the Horsforth, Yorkshire part of the Ukraine! Or have they simply got his nationality wrong? Expect doing well in this does his coaching reputation no harm ....)

Postby weewelshwitch

Monique wrote:You don't seem to realise that for a Polish player to come to play in Germany or Belgium is as far away from home, and comparatively more expensive than it is for a UK player. Mainland Europe is vast.

And it is vastly more expensive for players from countries like Poland, Romania, Bulgaria etc where the average wage is a pittance compared to rich countries of Western Europe like the UK.

One of the Polish lads was telling me today that petrol is a similar price to the UK but their average gross monthly wage is less than a 1000 Euros - so they get hit a lot harder with the costs.

Tonight's Matches

Barking made 56 clearance by Steve Judd after Darren opened with 51, to go 2-0 up. He was 3-0 up last time I looked.

Postby weewelshwitch

Witz78 wrote:(a) they get a visa
(b) they give Sarah Mount a call

most don't need a VISA but they do need to get consistent practice in good conditions against good players.

It has always been a problem for any international player. they become the best in the country and then they're stuck.
I remember the Bulgarians coming to us in Romania last year trying to get help to get to play better players.

They're learning fast but would learn faster if based in the UK.

I was talking today to Vladimir Sinicin of Eurosport Russia and the viewing figures across the Russian speaking countries are amazing. Not as high as China but there's now 56 countries getting the Eurosport coverage and it's probably the single biggest influence at present in the upsurge in participation and standard of play across many countries.

Incidentally you can read some of Vladimir's interviews at www.top-snooker.com including one with Paul Mount - use google translate for hyterical results. He has me on his hit list. How much is it worth to mention SI? Roland? :win:

Postby Wildey

weewelshwitch wrote:

And it is vastly more expensive for players from countries like Poland, Romania, Bulgaria etc where the average wage is a pittance compared to rich countries of Western Europe like the UK.

One of the Polish lads was telling me today that petrol is a similar price to the UK but their average gross monthly wage is less than a 1000 Euros - so they get hit a lot harder with the costs.

yes we know its not easy but from a snooker logistics angle there's nothing nobody can do about that to make it easy for them and when i suggested putting the maximum break price money towards helping those players that needs it i was shot down.

Postby roy142857

Men's results:

Wells 5 Duffy 1
Walker 5 van Hove 1
O'Donnell 5 Donaldson 4
Cruickshanks 2 Muldoon 5

Semi's - O'Donnell v Muldoon, Walker v Wells.

Master's results:

Morgan 2 Judd 5
Sarsfield 3 Gleeson 5
Jamieson 2 Trigg 5
Hooper 4 Desplenter 5

Semi's - Judd v Gleeson, Trigg v Desplenter

Ladies results:
Diana Stateczny 2 Tatjana Vasiljeva 4
Roberta Cutajar 4 Anne Hirsch 1
Wendy Jans 4 Inese Lukashevska 0
Christelle Pedat 4 Hanna Mergies 1

Semi's - Vasiljeva (LAT) v Cutajar (MLT), Jans (BEL) v Pedat (FRA)

(Vasiljeva is the reigning World Mixed Pairs Champion with Joe Perry)

All matches to be played today.
Last edited by roy142857 on 16 Jun 2011, edited 1 time in total.