Post a reply

Re: EBSA Championships 2011 is LIVE

Postby Wildey

roy142857 wrote:
roy142857 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:any news / results from this yet?

I'm still looking for the results, but there is a group standings page here :

http://www.esnooker.pl/turnieje/2011/me ... l_2011.php

OK, so I've lost the plot a bit here, :emb: didn't realise that on this page I could click on the group name to expand the group and see results (including frame scores)

great isnt it

Postby roy142857

Wild wrote:
roy142857 wrote:
roy142857 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:any news / results from this yet?

I'm still looking for the results, but there is a group standings page here :

http://www.esnooker.pl/turnieje/2011/me ... l_2011.php

OK, so I've lost the plot a bit here, :emb: didn't realise that on this page I could click on the group name to expand the group and see results (including frame scores)

great isnt it

Yeah, presentation may not be pretty but it's clean and gives you (nearly) everything you want (would like breaks when they're significant - say 75 plus - I saw on the Malta facebook that Alex Borg has the highest break so far with 116).

Other events could certainly learn from this ...

Postby John From London Town

I'm friends with a few of the Irish players over there, Tom Gleeson, Joe Delaney, Frank Sarsfield & Micheal McDonald asked me for some photo's & that for his website that he just set up so I wish them boys well.

I just noticed Frank won 3-0 this morning so that pleases me. Gallant from here will know him too. Nice fella.

Postby Roland

Nice touch how it shows a photo of the player when you hover over his name.

I had every intention for getting over there this year playing in the Over 40's. It is ranking points based qualifying system. I only played in 3 of the comps so I had no chance of qualifying.

I still have every intention of qualifying next year once I can sort myself out a new cue & get my bottom in gear to play in the comps to qualify.

I haven't entered any yet Sonny. My cue, bless it, has gone. I don't know if you remember but a fella over here who came highly recommended butchered it when I was having it made into a 2 piece. The joint fell apart & I had to go to a DIY store to get it glued together to finish off this season. It’s also as bent as a nine bob note. I was that hurt by it that I was going to hurt the fella, I really was. I got real wound up & Cathy talked me out of it. It’s amazing how you get so attached to your cue. It’s like me best mate has just been turned over. I was not happy bunny.

I’ve now been given a contact for a fella down in Wexford who I have to pop down & see to see if he can replicate it.
I do have the German one in mind tho which appeals to me for some strange reason, probably just to get my new cue & get hitting them with it.

Postby Roland

If it's gone just remember Stephen Hendry after his was snapped on a flight. He was laughing about it, nothing you can do. It could be a blessing in disguise. I've never understood getting cues custom made, it can be all the same specs but play totally different when you use it. Why don't you visit a few shops like Craftsman near where I live and have a play about with all the cues. Spend a day or so and pick out one you like the feel of and stick with it.

I know if you've had the cue all your life then you'll miss it, but it's all in the mind that you can't play with another one <ok>

Postby roy142857

John From London Town wrote:I'm friends with a few of the Irish players over there, Tom Gleeson, Joe Delaney, Frank Sarsfield & Micheal McDonald asked me for some photo's & that for his website that he just set up so I wish them boys well.

I just noticed Frank won 3-0 this morning so that pleases me. Gallant from here will know him too. Nice fella.

Couldn't see Joe Delaney in the line up John, might be one of the withdrawals.

Strange how which matches are being streamed has fallen - none of Tom Gleeson or Frank Sarsfield's matches, (nor any of former World Masters champion Darren Morgan's group matches), but two of Michael McDonald's (one to go - 3 pm on the 12th) - and I see 3 streamed live for each of Stephen Merrigan and John McIntyre, do you know anything of them and what their form is like? (just wondering if there's any method in who gets streamed, or whether it's just random).

Hi Roy,
I've just noticed that Joe is not playing & that Stephen Merrigan has replaced him. Not sure why to be honest.

With regard to the streaming, I've no idea how it works, who gets picked or on what basis. I see Tom is 2-2 but down i the 5th. Sound fella him, good player too.

Postby roy142857

Patrick Einsle just completed a break of 136 to wrap up 4-0 against Marcin Nitschke. Very impressive.

(Other century breaks Lee Walker 129, Vincent Muldoon 122, 118 & 109 (plus 10 half century breaks), Alex Borg 116, Kristján Helgason 103, Daniel Wells 104 & 103, Bobby Cruickshanks 102).

Incidentally, was anyone else surprised how easily Martin O'Donnell beat Daniel Wells yesterday (4-1) ?
Last edited by roy142857 on 10 Jun 2011, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Wildey

martin o'donnell had a pretty good Q School Last 32,Last 32 and reached the Quarter Finals or tour match in Q 3 Losing to Maflin 4-1

Postby Witz78

roy142857 wrote:Patrick Einsle just completed a break of 136 to wrap up 4-0 against Marcin Nitschke. Very impressive.

(Other century breaks Lee Walker 129, Vincent Muldoon 118 & 109, Alex Borg 116, Kristján Helgason 103, Daniel Wells 103, Bobby Cruickshanks 102).

Incidentally, was anyone else surprised how easily Martin O'Donnell beat Daniel Wells yesterday (4-1) ?

Not really, with a tour place in the bag, it was hard to see Wells doing that er, Well against these hungrier opponents.

The Teapot :limp: seems to be playing well so far, 3 wins out of 3. The motivation of a sponsorship deal with Tetleys if he makes it onto main tour must be helping his focus.

Postby Wildey

PG Tips have put a counter offer on the table he is pouring over both offers to see which one is Richer Tea.

Postby roy142857

Wild wrote:martin o'donnell had a pretty good Q School Last 32,Last 32 and reached the Quarter Finals or tour match in Q 3 Losing to Maflin 4-1

Pretty good point, perhaps the intensity of Q School has sharpened up some of the players. Although Lee Walker went down 3-4 to Scott Donaldson, don't think from bad play - the final frame was 57-52 (am I right in thinking Donaldson is still at school?)

Postby Wildey

roy142857 wrote:
Wild wrote:martin o'donnell had a pretty good Q School Last 32,Last 32 and reached the Quarter Finals or tour match in Q 3 Losing to Maflin 4-1

Pretty good point, perhaps the intensity of Q School has sharpened up some of the players. Although Lee Walker went down 3-4 to Scott Donaldson, don't think from bad play - the final frame was 57-52 (am I right in thinking Donaldson is still at school?)

and also as witz said Wells is effectively a pro now anyway he has big fish to fry this season.

Postby roy142857

A couple of matches on now where 'something has to give' as unbeaten players are facing each other -

Andreas Ploner (AUT) and Michael Leslie (SCO) are tied at a frame each, Kevin Van Hove (BEL) has taken the first two frames frame from last year's runner-up Roy Stolk (NTL). And at 5 pm Alex Borg (MLT) takes on Martin McCrudden (IRE). Just a shame none of these are the matches on video streaming, though I'm hoping to watch Daniel Wells' match against Lukáš Křenek at 5pm, both only 1 loss though I think Křenek's wins have come against the weaker players in the group so Wells SHOULD win comfortably (Křenek lost 4-0 to Rene Van Rijsbergen, who was beaten by Wells by the same scoreline).

(An aside - Been a good week for me to be watching these video streams, as a lot of waiting for answers from other people before being able to do things this week, plus good timing for a bit of chilling in the afternoon before evening meetings ... very grateful to the people streaming the matches! :-D )

Postby roy142857

roy142857 wrote:And at 5 pm Alex Borg (MLT) takes on Martin McCrudden (IRE). Just a shame none of these are the matches on video streaming

Just been on the 'tables' page now - and they've added an extra video stream for table 10, which is where the Borg/McCrudden match is due to be played (wonder how long that's been there - didn't notice it before ... ) - and better picture quality than the other tables.

Postby Wildey

ill get more in to this when the knockout starts i just cant make heads or tails of the group stages

Postby roy142857

Some highlights:

Lee Walker had moved to top break with a 140, but then ...

Alex Borg knocks in a final frame 141 to beat Martin McCrudden.

In a battle between two 18 year olds, Scotland's Michael Leslie beats Austria's Andreas Ploner 4-3 to remain unbeaten.

Victory for Kevin van Hove over Roy Stolk so van Hove also remains unbeaten.

Postby roy142857

Saturday highlights:

Michał Zieliński popping in a 139 break to wrap up his 4-0 victory over Denis Cretu, whilst 2007 Champion Kevin van Hove is still unbeaten with six wins - just Zieliński stands in the way of him making it 7.

Scotland's Michael Leslie won a tight match against 1998 champion Kristján Helgason 53-33 in the final frame to also remain unbeaten on five wins. (Scotland's Bobby Cruickshanks and Scott Donaldson also remain unbeaten - great tournament so far for the Scots!).

Patrick Einsle lost his unbeaten record, going down 3-4 to Malta's Simon Zammit, making it a good day for Malta as 2005/2006 champion Alex Borg's unbeaten run continues with a 4-0 win over Paulo Pereira.

Adam Duffy cruised past Lithuania's Mindaugas Maisiejus 4-0 - for his fourth win in five matches - he and Ireland's unbeaten Vincent Muldoon look the class of Group C, but it's close between Poland's Krzysztof Wróbel, Belgium's Yvan Van Velthoven and Bulgaria's Georgi Velichkov for the remaining spots - Wróbel';s on 4 wins but still to play Muldoon and Van Velthoven, the others on 3 wins, with Velichkov also due to play Van Velthoven, plus a game against Duffy.

Rafał Górecki managed a 4-2 win over Stephane Ochoiski - he's been playing fairly well but lost close matches with Bobby Cruickshanks, Lasse Munstermann and Gilbert Albertsen, I suspect he'll qualify for the knockout stages with a low seeding, whoever gets drawn against him will need to not take him lightly. (He's won two and lost those 3, but frames record is 16-14 in his favour, only four 50+ breaks though - not wrapping up has been part of the problem).

Postby roy142857

The group stages are coming to a conclusion. The following assumes it's the top 4 in each group that goes through, although I've been unable to confirm this. Also not sure whether frame difference is counted before or after head-to-head - I'm assuming before.

Large numbers of players have guaranteed themselves a place, although only a couple have completed all their games.

In Group A, Patrick Einsle (GER), Shay Arama (ISR), Marcin Nitschke (POL) and Simon Zammit (MLT) are all through to the knockout stages.

In Group D Scott Donaldson (SCO), Robert Murphy (IRE), Lee Walker (WAL) and Sergiy Isayenko (UKR) are all through.

In Group E Michael Leslie (SCO), Kristján Helgason (ICE), Andreass Ploner (AUT) and Roy Fernandez (ISR) are all through.

In Group B Alex Borg (MLT), Martin McCrudden (IRE) and Maurice Le Duc (NTL) are through to the knockout stages, Paul Schopf (AUT) needs 2 frames in his match with Paulo Pereira (who has only one win) to also progress - match 3pm today.

In Group C Vincent Muldoon (IRE), Adam Duffy (ENG) and Krzysztof Wróbel (POL) are through, Georgi Velichkov (BUL) needs a 4 frame 'frame difference' swing compared to Yvan van Velthoven or Van Velthoven goes through. Velichkov plays Adam Duffy, Van Velthoven plays Krzysztof Wróbel (both matches at 3pm today).

In Group F Kevin van Hove (BEL), Roy Stolk (NTL) and Michał Zieliński (POL) are through. The final spot is between Mor Mezrhel (ISR) (plays Roy Stolk 5.30 today) and Ivailo Pekov (BUL)(plays Denis Cretu tomorrow at 8 am). Mezrhei guaranteed through with a 4-2 win, if Mezrhei loses Pekov is through with a win.

In Group G Bobby Cruickshanks (SCO), Lasse Münstermann (GER) and Anthony Brabin (CYP) are through, the remaining place probably goes to the winner of Joris Maas (NTL) against Rafał Górecki (POL) at 12.30 pm today - live streaming on table 4 (Górecki can't be caught if he wins, possible for Maas to win and still not get through).

And then there's Group H:

Martin O'Donnell (ENG) is through, Daniel Wells (WAL) almost certainly joins him - as far as I can work out, he's through with one frame in either of his last 2 matches. Rune Kampe (DEN) is guaranteed a spot by beating winless Valentin Militaru at 12.30 pm today.

Ivailo Simeonov (BUL) has to beat Rene van Rijsbergen (NTL) at 12.30 today (live streaming - table 10) and beat Wells at 8 am tomorrow to possibly go through, van Rijsbergen is through with a win.

Lukáš Křenek (CZE) needs to beat Martin O'Donnell at 12.30 today, and have help elsewhere to go through - Simeonov beating van Rijsbergen but losing to Wells, or winning both by only narrow margins helps Křenek , or Valentin Militaru beating Rune Kampe.

Also, interesting to note Einsle and Münstermann are both losing 2-0 at the moment - perhaps early matches don't suit them?
Last edited by roy142857 on 13 Jun 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Puodziunas 147

Postby roy142857

According to the 'tables' page this morning, Tomas Puodziunas of Lithuania has knocked in a 147 break , previous high break even in practice was 74!!! And only one match in the tournament before today ...

:shock: :bowdown:

(Hope this wasn't just someone playing with the scoring system!)

Re: Puodziunas 147

Postby roy142857

roy142857 wrote:(Hope this wasn't just someone playing with the scoring system!)

... but I bet it was - his match isn't due until later when I look through the schedule

oh dear, got me all excited ...