Post a reply

World Under-18s

Postby snoopy2608

this started today - 31 players chasing glory and a tour place.

Decent chance for the UK youngsters taking part namely:

Brandon Langan
Jake Crofts
Liam Davies
Liam Pullen
Stan Moody
Steven Wardropper
Zac Cosker

sadly Wardropper has lost 2 out of 2 - but he'd be the best surnamed player on the tour!

Re: World Under-18s

Postby Prop

Available to watch on the WPBSA YouTube channel I believe.

Postby lhpirnie

There are 4 clear favourites: Boiko, Davies, Moody and Pullen. I'm not a supporter of U18 tour cards (it should be U21), but these players will all be good professionals in years to come.

Postby gninnur karona

Over half the entrants from Australia, a further seven from the United Kingdom, no-one from China, it isn't a particularly representative field.

Thailand have sent Nattanapong Chaikul who won a couple of matches at QSchool UK summer 2022 (one of which was against Michael Holt). Is he a prospect?

Postby lhpirnie

gninnur karona wrote:Over half the entrants from Australia, a further seven from the United Kingdom, no-one from China, it isn't a particularly representative field.

Thailand have sent Nattanapong Chaikul who won a couple of matches at QSchool UK summer 2022 (one of which was against Michael Holt). Is he a prospect?

Chaikul did well against Holt, but was pretty terrible in his other matches. I saw him when I went down there.

China had some good young players, such as Jiang Jun and Gong Chenzhi, but they have hardly had any tournaments to play in since 2020, so their development has probably stalled. I think Liu Hongyu is just too old to play in the U18s, but is in the main draw.

Postby HappyCamper

there is one player from china no? kwan chun wong of hong kong.

Postby gninnur karona

HappyCamper wrote:there is one player from china no? kwan chun wong of hong kong.

You're right. So what's the correct wording I should have used? Mainland China?

Postby HappyCamper

gninnur karona wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:there is one player from china no? kwan chun wong of hong kong.

You're right. So what's the correct wording I should have used? Mainland China?

i suppose mainland china probably avoids any ambiguity.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Isn't there another WSF tournament next year for older players?

gninnur karona wrote:Over half the entrants from Australia, a further seven from the United Kingdom, no-one from China, it isn't a particularly representative field.

In ten years time half the Top 16 will be Australian.

Postby HappyCamper

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Isn't there another WSF tournament next year for older players?

next week you mean, yes. they have the wsf juniors for under 18s, then wsf open, for all and sundry, back to back. quite a few of the youngsters will double up though.

Postby HappyCamper

all english final.

stan moody against liam pullen

Postby lhpirnie

HappyCamper wrote:all english final.

stan moody against liam pullen

Yes, both are excellent prospects. But both are probably not well-equipped to do well on the main tour just yet. Once again, misdirected tour-cards.

Postby HappyCamper

stan moody wins 5-1.

he will earn a tour card for next season. he has won a frame at the shoot out previously.