Post a reply

Re: CBSA qualifying Event 2

Postby chengdufan

As I sent that, Zhang missed the pink and gave away the foul points. Drama! Frame back on

Postby chengdufan

Frame back off...
2-1 to Zhang. He reverse doubled the pink into the top pocket

Postby chengdufan

Zhang Yong 2-2 Cao Yupeng
Fang Xiongman 3-0 Zhang Zhijie

Postby chengdufan

Some very good shots in an 84 break for Zhang Anda. 3-1

Postby chengdufan

Zhang Zhijie is on the comeback trail. He's pulled 2 back against Fang Xiongman.
Fang still 3-2 ahead and needs one more. The winner plays Zhang Anda

Postby chengdufan

Zhang Zhijie completes the comeback and wins 4-3!

Postby chengdufan

I'm watching both matches. Cao has just gone 3-1 up. He's playing well.
Zhang Anda in first in the other game with a nice 32 break.

Zhang Zhijie just showed some emotion, which as Rob Walker will tell you, is very unusual for a Chinese player

Postby chengdufan

Lovely 105 break from Liu Hongyu to bring it back to 3-2. This is a high quality match.
Liu is very fluent in the balls and played some Judd-esque exhibition shots in clearing the colours, despite needing them all to complete the century.

Postby stanley_

chengdufan wrote:I'm watching both matches. Cao has just gone 3-1 up. He's playing well.
Zhang Anda in first in the other game with a nice 32 break.

Zhang Zhijie just showed some emotion, which as Rob Walker will tell you, is very unusual for a Chinese player

How can you watch it?

Yes, wouldn't be commentary without the usual lazy racial stereotypes...

Postby chengdufan

v.zhibo.tv/32924362
v.zhibo.tv/60003

No idea if the links work outside China

Postby chengdufan

3-3 now. This young fella Liu Hongyu is very good.

Postby chengdufan

Worth noting that Liu Hongyu beat Cao Yupeng 4-2 in event 1

Postby chengdufan

Zhang Zhijie has looked a bit out of his depth so far. Zhang Anda doing what he needs to to win.

It's a shame Cao and Liu can't both go through.

Postby lhpirnie

chengdufan wrote:3-3 now. This young fella Liu Hongyu is very good.

Yes Liu Hongyu is a fine prospect. He's already won a couple of junior tournaments. But turning pro may be a bit too soon

Postby chengdufan

Cao Yupeng and Zhang Anda both win at pretty much the same time. They're friends and will be very happy.

We'll be seeing more of Liu Hongyu in the future.

Postby Morinas77

Cao was #20 for the season 2017/18, would have had a chance to push for the top 16 if...

Exciting to have him back. I hope Yuan Sijun and Bai Langning make it through Q school too.

I also like Zhang Anda, who is another top 64 candidate.

Postby stanley_

Seems like a good group of qualifiers.

11th year as a pro for Zhang Anda (first since dropping off in 2020. Didn't enter the Crucible or Q School that year because of Covid).
8th year as a pro for Cao Yupeng (first since his ban in 2018)
3rd year as a pro for Zhang Jiankang (first since dropping off in 2020)
1st year as a pro for 17-year old Wu Yize who beat Hugill and Robbie Williams in the Crucible qualifying in 2020. Also lost 5-6 and 4-6 to John Higgins as a 15-year old in 2019.

Postby lhpirnie

chengdufan wrote:Cao Yupeng and Zhang Anda both win at pretty much the same time. They're friends and will be very happy.

We'll be seeing more of Liu Hongyu in the future.

Yes, Zhang Anda and Cao Yupeng are both from Guangdong and are Cantonese speakers.

Postby lhpirnie

stanley_ wrote:Seems like a good group of qualifiers.

11th year as a pro for Zhang Anda (first since dropping off in 2020. Didn't enter the Crucible or Q School that year because of Covid).
1st year as a pro for 17-year old Wu Yize who beat Hugill and Robbie Williams in the Crucible qualifying in 2020. Also lost 5-6 and 4-6 to John Higgins as a 15-year old in 2019.

Definitely the right set of qualifiers. They will all add to the tour and should be competitive. I assume none of the players who played in this event will be eligible for the UK Q School, but there are still 5 players who dropped off here. That means the Chinese representation on tour will be roughly the same as it was. There was a danger last summer that as many as 10 would be relegated due to covid issues, but this tournament certainly has helped maintain the numbers.

Postby stanley_

lhpirnie wrote:
stanley_ wrote:Seems like a good group of qualifiers.

Definitely the right set of qualifiers. They will all add to the tour and should be competitive. I assume none of the players who played in this event will be eligible for the UK Q School, but there are still 5 players who dropped off here. That means the Chinese representation on tour will be roughly the same as it was. There was a danger last summer that as many as 10 would be relegated due to covid issues, but this tournament certainly has helped maintain the numbers.

Recent tournaments saved a few of the players (Bingyu, Si and Zifan making the one-year list) and Tian Pengfei and Lyu Haotian making the top 64. Could have been much worse than it ended up. I think the biggest disappointments are Yuan Sijun and Luo Honghao.

Postby lhpirnie

stanley_ wrote:Recent tournaments saved a few of the players (Bingyu, Si and Zifan making the one-year list) and Tian Pengfei and Lyu Haotian making the top 64. Could have been much worse than it ended up. I think the biggest disappointments are Yuan Sijun and Luo Honghao.

Back in June of last year, it was not even clear that the Chinese players would be able to come back at all during 2020. Even those that did arrive for the World Championship, they played horribly and lost immediately (apart from Luo's miraculous 6-5 escape against Lines and Ding's 10-9 against King at the Crucible). The missed ranking points put several players under pressure.

Then, spending months in the UK playing only at Milton Keynes was also tough, and several have expressed the sadness at being separated from their families. The performances gradually got more ragged. Actually, it was a good World Championship for the Chinese players, but several ran out of steam towards the end of the qualifiers.

Definitely Yuan, Luo and Si are a big loss to the tour if they don't qualify. Lei and Bai are young enough to be able to withstand a year off the tour if it comes to that. I know Yuan wasn't able to play for several months, and was completely uncompetitive this season. Luo's developed a technical flaw needing attention (maybe a coach), which isn't easy to arrange whilst lockdowns are still in place.

Postby SteveJJ

We often say Dominic Dale is the best player never to make the top 16 but is Zhang Anda the best player never to make the top 64, considering hes qualified for the Crucible 3 times.

Postby lhpirnie

SteveJJ wrote:We often say Dominic Dale is the best player never to make the top 16 but is Zhang Anda the best player never to make the top 64, considering hes qualified for the Crucible 3 times.

He has a tremendous record in Chinese tour events. But I've often seen him struggle with some table conditions which don't suit his rather limited technique. He's spent the last year doing coaching and commentating, so he's been very much in touch with the game. But yes, it will be difficult for him to get into the top-64.