Topic locked

Re: Australian Goldfields Open Wild Card and Last 32 Discuss

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
Hendry wasnt really in my thoughts when i said that, but yeh i guess he almost falls into that category now.

Im thinking more along the lines of the likes of McLeod, Campbell, M.Davis, Dale etc who have been around for years doing nothing yet still are doing enough to stay high, infact all of them doing as well as they have in their careers.

fair play to them i guess for stepping it up and earning a last few seasons paydays before the young guns emerge

but the likes of the top 16 will look back in years to come and think, i wish id given it my all when i was at the top of my game, the way the sport is heading i think the days of players being regular fixtures in the top 1 for 10,15,20 years will be gone, bar a few exceptions.

My bad. When I mentioned Hendy and Ken-Do, I didn't realise we were discussing McLeod, Campbell, Mark Davis and Dale .

Postby Witz78

Matthew Stevens quote on World Snooker !!

"I'm not too tired and I'm not one of these people making excuses about the travelling and that's why they haven't played well.

"I hate these babies that say 'I can't wait to get home'. We're snooker players, this is our job and we've all asked for more tournaments and, at the end of the day, we've got more tournaments.

someone with sense at last

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Matthew Stevens quote on World Snooker !!

"I'm not too tired and I'm not one of these people making excuses about the travelling and that's why they haven't played well.

"I hate these babies that say 'I can't wait to get home'. We're snooker players, this is our job and we've all asked for more tournaments and, at the end of the day, we've got more tournaments.

:clap: :clap:

:baby: :baby: :baby: :baby: :baby: :baby:

Postby freakmoomin

Hendry properly struggling by the looks of things.....the way the draw seems to be opening up this would be a great chance for some desperatly needed points.......but more importantly confidence. Judging by the scoreboard hes had chances in every frame so he must be raging at himself.......

really needs this frame! :clap:

Postby Wildey

freakmoomin wrote:Hendry properly struggling by the looks of things.....the way the draw seems to be opening up this would be a great chance for some desperatly needed points.......but more importantly confidence. Judging by the scoreboard hes had chances in every frame so he must be raging at himself.......

really needs this frame! :clap:

thats the thing with Hendry playing safties is easy these days you only need length and more often than not you will get a chance when he misses.

Selt is a quality player and can make breaks very fast.

Postby freakmoomin

Really wish Hendo would start refusing some of the long pots! if thats what loses him this game ill be raging! I noticed Ronnie starting to refuse a lot of long pots years and years back and it seved him well.....world champion well!!! Whats the point going for pots your making 2/10! so frustrating!

Once he starts to win matches again then maybe he would get his confidence back and pot these......obviously loads of people must have told him similar things but he just doesnt want to hear it! If hes potting these balls in practice then it can only be confidence and stuff in his head! Winning some big matches might fix this! but if he cant take Selt then hes no chance of even getting to play another big match!

but i will sit in work patiently watching the scoreboard hoping for him to make something happen :(

Postby kostasmad

Wild wrote:

:clap: :clap:

:baby: :baby: :baby: :baby: :baby: :baby:

Well done Matthew :mosh2:

Postby Wildey

freakmoomin wrote:Really wish Hendo would start refusing some of the long pots! if thats what loses him this game ill be raging! I noticed Ronnie starting to refuse a lot of long pots years and years back and it seved him well.....world champion well!!! Whats the point going for pots your making 2/10! so frustrating!

Once he starts to win matches again then maybe he would get his confidence back and pot these......obviously loads of people must have told him similar things but he just doesnt want to hear it! If hes potting these balls in practice then it can only be confidence and stuff in his head! Winning some big matches might fix this! but if he cant take Selt then hes no chance of even getting to play another big match!

but i will sit in work patiently watching the scoreboard hoping for him to make something happen :(

its a double edge sword when he refuses them and doesn't get cover with safties these players take them on and get them.

in his prime he took them on got them cleared up now he relyes on mistakes to get in and every shot is a pressure shot to clear up in one otherwise hes back to square 1.

Postby Casey

He seems to have a phobia of the second round - he is winning more first round matches than he ever did - often playing decent snooker, but in the next round he reverts back to complete garbage. He won't have a better chance of reaching a QF all season.

Postby PLtheRef

Casey wrote:He seems to have a phobia of the second round - he is winning more first round matches than he ever did - often playing decent snooker, but in the next round he reverts back to complete garbage. He won't have a better chance of reaching a QF all season.

When did he last reach a quarter-final.

And, in terms of his best chance - as the 16th seed, and scrapping around there for a long while, I think you might be right.

Postby Witz78

PLtheRef wrote:
Casey wrote:He seems to have a phobia of the second round - he is winning more first round matches than he ever did - often playing decent snooker, but in the next round he reverts back to complete garbage. He won't have a better chance of reaching a QF all season.

And, in terms of his best chance - as the 16th seed, and scrapping around there for a long while, I think you might be right.

pretty sure it was the Quarters of the 2009 China Open when Ebdon beat him 5-1

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:

Quarters of the World 2009 when Murphy beat him after the 147.

Postby Alex0paul

Witz78 wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:

2010 China Open losing 5-4 to Allen in the quarters.

Postby SnookerFan

Matthew Stevens. :bowdown: :bowdown:

He's right. They all whinged that you wanted more tournaments. If you don't like beign a snooker player any more, go and get another job.

Postby Sickpotter

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Sickpotter wrote:Witz, aside from match fixing being central to the cases they are not comperable.

Higgins was not charged, the sting was really about Mooney. Yes, his reputation was damaged but only for those who were willing to believe Higgins would do something so silly and trust that NOTW was above board. Given Higgins' reputation and NOTWs I can't follow that line of "reasoning". The board concurred with the findings (Higgins was not involved in initiating the discussion) but gave him a nice fine and suspension anyway as a slap/reminder not to bring the game into disrepute. Mooney got a lifetime ban so those invovled got punishments according to their level of involvement.

Hann was handed a multi-year ban, it was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was guilty. He alone setup all the logistics for the match fixing. He made no effort to refute the charge and left the sport in disgrace.

Higgins by contrast initiated nothing, he was brought into the match fixing discussion by Mooney. He also immediately refuted the charge and defended himself.

The closest similarity in the two cases is that both players have a last name that starts with H.

Higgins may well have suffered more reputation damage but that's because his reputation was impeccable to begin with and the story was sensationalized due to Higgins standing in the game.

Hann by contrast had never won a thing and nobody really cared that a player who never won anything was nicked for match fixing.

You might want to read Hann's Wiki entry before suggesting he's class or that there are similarities between him and Higgins.

As far as Higginses go, Hann is a lot closer to Alex than John and "class" isn't the first thing that jumps to mind when one thinks of Alex ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinten_Hann

im refusing to get drawn into the whole argument again but one thing i will say

DOUBLE STANDARDS from you <doh> :grrr:

On the one hand you go on about Higgins not being charged, being innocent etc so theres no case for me to go on about him

BUT THEN

you imply that the smear campaign on Hanns personal life is worthy of a mention, when he was clearly proven innocent :no:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2083990.stm

AND PAY ATTENTION TO ONE PARTICULAR QUOTE........

The victim was and remains Quinten Hann

Thanks for not getting drawn into the debate. :wave:

who invited you into this <doh>

if u cared to read through things properly youd have seen that i wasnt replying to the main argument of the 2 cases and their similarities and / or differences. I was simply pulling Sickpotter up on his footnote comment about Hanns questionable personality.

Yes Higgins took more reputational damage from the allegations because he had a better reputation to begin with.

As far as Hann's personal life problems, I have no opinion on his guilt or innoncence for his misc charges. That he was invovled and charged with those crimes puts his reputation far behind John's.

When you refer to someone as "class" they shouldn't have a litany of charges in their past. Regardless of having been found innoncent or guilty it severely damages reputation. They also shouldn't have been banned from the sport for match fixing ;-)