Topic locked

Re: AUSTRALIAN OPEN DRAWS

Postby Witz78

wake up and smell the coffee

for the Chinese to ever truly have a tournament of Major significance on their doorstep, they need to up the ante with the prize money significantly.

the extra ranking points WS gives these events over similar events like the Welsh and German is a lame attempt to try and make the top players take these events more seriously.

they need to throw some serious cash at them to raise the profile and interest in them.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:wake up and smell the coffee

for the Chinese to ever truly have a tournament of Major significance on their doorstep, they need to up the ante with the prize money significantly.

the extra ranking points WS gives these events over similar events like the Welsh and German is a lame attempt to try and make the top players take these events more seriously.

they need to throw some serious cash at them to raise the profile and interest in them.

bucking bullocks

fans will go to events just because players get money rofl rofl rofl rofl

for buck sakes who the buck cares how much players gets payed <doh>

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:

bucking bullocks

yeh the fans will go to events regardless

but if the players are playing for buttons then the fans wont see them fully trying like they would if big cash was at stake. The PTC results the last 2 days show that the top players struggle to get motivated when the cash is minimal. Nowt to do with the best of 7 format, take the best of 5s at the world open, the top players came through that fine cos the money was good so they had an incentive.

eh, the players care about how much they get paid.

if money doesnt matter, lets kick Hearn out and get Rodney Walker back in to bleed the game dry and line his own pockets whilst halving the prize money back down to the 3million a year it was. <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote: rofl

it just pisses me off that fans see cash = prestige ......they spend buck all of it its just wages for players as a profession and its separate from the sport.

It's not a massive issue for me, either. I want each player to get as much as possible for playing. There was a point where some professionals quite high on the list were earning buck all. That has to stop, obviously, and Hearn is working on that. So I can understand prize money bears some analysis. If prize money completely vanished, so would the professional game.

However, I don't understand these people who act like the prestige a tournament is directly linked to the money they earn. If it was, the Premier League is one of the most prestigious tournaments of the year. Sport is not a game of Top Trumps, though the amount of time we spend comparing prize money from snooker with darts or tennis, you'd think it was.

Yes, I want the players to have as much earning potential as possible. But I think claiming that if you added £10,000 prize money to a tournament, it'd suddenly become a more prestigious tournament. The correlation is not that direct. Match length, tournament history, ranking points available can also play a part.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 21 Jun 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

bucking bullocks

yeh the fans will go to events regardless

but if the players are playing for buttons then the fans wont see them fully trying like they would if big cash was at stake. The PTC results the last 2 days show that the top players struggle to get motivated when the cash is minimal. Nowt to do with the best of 7 format, take the best of 5s at the world open, the top players came through that fine cos the money was good so they had an incentive.

eh, the players care about how much they get paid.

if money doesnt matter, lets kick Hearn out and get Rodney Walker back in to bleed the game dry and line his own pockets whilst halving the prize money back down to the 3million a year it was. <doh>

you missing the point of course i want players to get payed and more the merrier but it dont add to events if players play for cash sorry to say they in the wrong profession....ambition,drive,to be the best should be what they play for not cash its not like football where you get payed for doing buck all snooker only offer price money.

Postby SnookerFan

Though Witz, I do take your point too. If there is more money on offer, maybe a lot of players will be more motivated. And it would produce a more tense spectacle to watch. (Though, it's a shame. You would think a professional would want to win whether he got £1,000 or £5,000. Especially when they were complaining there weren't enough tournaments only a couple of years back.)

I don't think there's a direct correlation between money though, as Wild says. I'll always take a full ranking event, even one like the Welsh Open above the Premier League. Though, the players would all want to be in the PL because of £££s. The PL is just not a very prestigious tournament win, for me. The shot clock means that it can't be taken too seriously as a snooker contest. Whoever has the PL title can't strut around that much.

This is why I was gutted the UKs had shortened the matches, they have taken away some of the air the tournament had by taking away it's unique selling point. Even, if they pay them the same amount of money they did, and this leads to people trying a little bit more, I still won't see this as being as much of a major as it used to be.

Postby N_Castle07

Barry Hearn said last year that if the Worlds offered a winners prize fund of 1 million more fans would watch snooker. As a highly rated sports promoter I trust Barry's opinion.

Postby SnookerFan

N_Castle07 wrote:Barry Hearn said last year that if the Worlds offered a winners prize fund of 1 million more fans would watch snooker. As a highly rated sports promoter I trust Barry's opinion.

So basically, if Hearn says fans will watch something, then the fans themselves (us) don't have the right to say; "No, that's not true"? It's a pretty absurd statement anyway. Fans watch if they enjoy the sport. Would you really tune into a sport you hadn't done recently, just because you found out what the prize fund was?

He also said he wouldn't touch the majors. rofl
Last edited by SnookerFan on 22 Jun 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby N_Castle07

Christ ... just been looking through the Sunday Times rich list and Hearn is worth 30 Million.

Postby Witz78

N_Castle07 wrote:Christ ... just been looking through the Sunday Times rich list and Hearn is worth 30 Million.

that all :shock:

someone like him could have been worth so much more if hed put his head before his heart and been more involved in other business ventures rather than sporting ones that get his juices flowing and mean more to him.

Postby N_Castle07

Witz78 wrote:
N_Castle07 wrote:Christ ... just been looking through the Sunday Times rich list and Hearn is worth 30 Million.

that all :shock:

someone like him could have been worth so much more if hed put his head before his heart and been more involved in other business ventures rather than sporting ones that get his juices flowing and mean more to him.

Apparently Hendry is worth 12 Million despite being hit hard because of the collapse of 110sports.

Postby Wildey

N_Castle07 wrote:Barry Hearn said last year that if the Worlds offered a winners prize fund of 1 million more fans would watch snooker. As a highly rated sports promoter I trust Barry's opinion.

hes talking bullocks mate <ok>

dont forget this guy would sell his rubbish to the highest bidder.

fans do not think like that.

Postby SnookerFan

There was a guy with the same name as me on the Rich List for years, but I think he died. His son is still worth a lot of money, but I see no mention of him. :grrr: The joke was wearing thin after ten years anyway. I'd only pick the Rich List up to find myself in it. rofl

Postby Dannyboy

Of course Barry Hearn hasn't got a clue. Everything he says is a load of crap. Everything he says is wrong.
Jesus H Christ.

Postby SnookerFan

Dannyboy wrote:Of course Barry Hearn hasn't got a clue. Everything he says is a load of crap. Everything he says is wrong.
Jesus H Christ.

Did I say that? I question one thing he says, and suddenly I'm saying everything he's ever said has been crap?

<doh>

Postby Wildey

Dannyboy wrote:Of course Barry Hearn hasn't got a clue. Everything he says is a load of crap. Everything he says is wrong.
Jesus H Christ.

if someone talks crap i bucking say it nobody is above criticism if hes talking marmite.

would you go to a snooker tournament in japan if it offered more money than go to the nearest venue to you ????

location and promotion is what matters not how many money players make.

Postby Wildey

Great performance from Selt i knew this guy was better than his Ranking when he beat Davis and Jimmy a few seasons back he had air of confidence i was strugling to see from higher rank pros.

im looking for a great season from him and hes starting it pretty well this week.

Postby randam05

HAHA wow i look about 2 hours ago and think the scores are going alright, come back and every player i want to win is about 4-0 down!

Postby Wildey

wrong bucking thread <doh>

Postby Wildey

MarkSelbyNo1Fan wrote:Will there be any competitions for the Aussie Open?

yes im sure we get a predict comp up in due course.

Postby SnookerFan

We got to do one for the Wuxi Classic first. :spot on:

Postby MarkSelbyNo1Fan

SnookerFan wrote:

We got to do one for the Wuxi Classic first. :spot on:

Do it then. :evilgrin:

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:We got an order of play for this yet?

Monday 18th of july

1am
Dave Gilbert v James Mifsud
Matthew Selt v Steve Mifsud

4am
Shaun Murphy v Andrew Higginson
Graeme Dott v Gilbert/James Mifsud

Followed By
Judd Trump v Mark Davis
Stephen Hendry v Martin Gould

10.30am
Ronnie O'Sullivan v Dominic Dale
Peter Ebdon v Rory McLeod

Tuesday 19th of July

4am
Jamie Cope v Tom Ford
Shaun Murphy/Andrew Higginson v Peter Ebdon/Rory McLeod

Followed by
John Higgins v Matthew Selt/Steve Mifsud
Ali Carter v Marcus Campbell

10.30am
Neil Robertson v Nigel Bond
Mark Allen v Ryan Day

Wednesday 20th of July

4am
Mark Williams v Barry Pinches
Stephen Maguire v Ken Doherty

Followed by
Mark Selby v Joe Perry
Matthew StevensLiang Wenbo

10.30am
Ding Junhui v Stuart Bingham
John Higgins/Matthew Selt/Steve Mifsud v Stephen Hendry/Martin Gould

thats the order of play as it stands but i see a problem with Gilbert v James Mifsud already.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:We got an order of play for this yet?

Monday 18th of july

1am
Dave Gilbert v James Mifsud
Matthew Selt v Steve Mifsud

4am
Shaun Murphy v Andrew Higginson
Graeme Dott v Gilbert/James Mifsud

Followed By
Judd Trump v Mark Davis
Stephen Hendry v Martin Gould

10.30am
Ronnie O'Sullivan v Dominic Dale
Peter Ebdon v Rory McLeod

Tuesday 19th of July

4am
Jamie Cope v Tom Ford
Shaun Murphy/Andrew Higginson v Peter Ebdon/Rory McLeod

Followed by
John Higgins v Matthew Selt/Steve Mifsud
Ali Carter v Marcus Campbell

10.30am
Neil Robertson v Nigel Bond
Mark Allen v Ryan Day

Wednesday 20th of July

4am
Mark Williams v Barry Pinches
Stephen Maguire v Ken Doherty

Followed by
Mark Selby v Joe Perry
Matthew StevensLiang Wenbo

10.30am
Ding Junhui v Stuart Bingham
John Higgins/Matthew Selt/Steve Mifsud v Stephen Hendry/Martin Gould

thats the order of play as it stands but i see a problem with Gilbert v James Mifsud already.

So, they only got 1am matches one day? :phew:

I wonder, are Eurosport televising the whole thing? Or are they televising the matches that are on whilst their channel normally runs. I wonder what days it'd be worth getting up at 4am before work for?

Postby SnookerFan

Barry Pinches ready to take on Mark Williams in Australian Goldfields Open – Snooker news

Barry ‘The Canarian’ Pinches is pretty excited ahead of his clash with the current world number one snooker player Mark Williams in the last-32 of 2011 Australian Goldfields Open tournament.

This event will be staged in Victoria, Australia from July 18 to July 24.

The 40-year-old Englishman Pinches shrugged off the likes of Matt Couch and Stephen Lee in the third and fourth qualifying rounds respectively at the World Snooker Academy and secured a place in the last-32 of the Australian first full ranking event.

Pinches told the media he is in a very good form and is hopefully going to see off the Welsh Potting Machine, Williams. He said he knows he is a bit old but still he does not find any authentic reason why he cannot beat Williams.

Though the former ranking-event quarter-finalist Pinches admitted he will be up against one of the best snooker players in the world, he said he has faced Williams twice before and therefore knows his style of playing.

While speaking on his inclusion, he remarked, “I am 40 years old but I still play all the time and I still think I can cut it. I don’t see any reason for age being a problem in snooker. I played Mark Williams twice in smaller events last year so know what he is about. He had a good season last year and played some of his best stuff for a long time, so you have to be at your best against players like him.”

In the end Pinches, who is currently ranked 41 in the world rankings, stated it has been long since he is trying to win a ranking tournament and hopefully this time he will shock the world.

“I know it is a long way to go and while I want to win. It is the first big ranking event and I hope it will kick-start something,” said Pinches.

Let’s see if Barry Pinches really has what it takes to defeat the two-time world champion, Mark Williams.