Topic locked

Snooker heading to Oz

Postby Tubberlad

It hasn't been the year's best kept secret, but snooker will make it's way to Australia in 2011, as the season's opening ranking event.

It's an interesting move for the game.

First of all, in terms of potential markets for the game, Australia would not be the most obvious. The nation only has one player seriously contending for honours, and that's unlikely to change anytime soon. Also, Australia is one of the most sport loving nations on earth. Snooker has got to compete with Swimming, Cricket, both forms of Rugby, Aussie Rules, Motorsport & Golf. In short, Australia appears to be a nation that's almost saturated in terms of sport.

However, I can only be delighted that the game is extending it's horizons. I've no doubt Neil Robertson's successes contributed to this move more than anything else, and at least we are heading to a nation that loves it's sport: Bahrain Mark Two is highly unlikely, Hearn will surely have his homework done on this one.

It's something new. To follow all the action, getting up very early/staying up late will have to be taken into account, with sessions likely to take place at around three in the morning, though the later sessions will be a little more viewer friendly and at least offer the chance to watch before work. I can't see myself staying up through the night to watch snooker every night, but once or twice won't be beyond the realms of possibility. It may even turn out to be the first time I stumble in from a night out and throw on some snooker ;-)

Naturally, I hope the event is a massive success, and I hope it's an indicator of snooker growing global appeal. I do question the logistics, it looks like it's going to kick off the day after the World Cup concludes in Thailand, but hopefully all goes well.

Re: Snooker heading to Oz

Postby Wildey

There was Ranking event in Australia in the 80s ....

the players played the qualifying for the Australian Open but when the event happened it was in Hong Kong <laugh> Mike Hallett won his one and only Ranking Title beating Dene O'Kane in the Final.

i have a feeling this will be done right and Proffesionally

Postby SnookerFan

Tubberlad wrote:It hasn't been the year's best kept secret, but snooker will make it's way to Australia in 2011, as the season's opening ranking event.

First of all, in terms of potential markets for the game, Australia would not be the most obvious. The nation only has one player seriously contending for honours, and that's unlikely to change anytime soon. Also, Australia is one of the most sport loving nations on earth. Snooker has got to compete with Swimming, Cricket, both forms of Rugby, Aussie Rules, Motorsport & Golf. In short, Australia appears to be a nation that's almost saturated in terms of sport.

However, I can only be delighted that the game is extending it's horizons. I've no doubt Neil Robertson's successes contributed to this move more than anything else, and at least we are heading to a nation that loves it's sport: Bahrain Mark Two is highly unlikely, Hearn will surely have his homework done on this one.

It's something new. To follow all the action, getting up very early/staying up late will have to be taken into account, with sessions likely to take place at around three in the morning, though the later sessions will be a little more viewer friendly and at least offer the chance to watch before work. I can't see myself staying up through the night to watch snooker every night, but once or twice won't be beyond the realms of possibility. It may even turn out to be the first time I stumble in from a night out and throw on some snooker ;-)

Naturally, I hope the event is a massive success, and I hope it's an indicator of snooker growing global appeal. I do question the logistics, it looks like it's going to kick off the day after the World Cup concludes in Thailand, but hopefully all goes well.

Might be an interesting week to take of work. You can stay up all night, and watch the games, then sleep during the day. But then I already plan to take The Masters and the UK Championships off, so a bit of a dilemma. :chin:

Postby SnookerFan

MignonSnooker wrote:Hi all!
Just asked Dave Hendon: for the moment, he doesn't know if the event will be on Eurosport...

I wish I'd seen that, before I'd posted my last message. rofl

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Just asked Dave Hendon: for the moment, he doesn't know if the event will be on Eurosport...

even if eurosport is brodcasting it whitch i think they will in some form i don't think it will be available during the night anyway as eurosports closes between 1am and 7am.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

even if eurosport is brodcasting it whitch i think they will in some form i don't think it will be available during the night anyway as eurosports closes between 1am and 7am.

:-( :-(

Postby Wildey

simplysnooker wrote:ITV ahem :)

wishful thinking I know!

no ITV Wont be brodcasting a tournament that will be over for the day before mid day lol

nothing in it for them they need some prime time viewing.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:It hasn't been the year's best kept secret, but snooker will make it's way to Australia in 2011, as the season's opening ranking event.

Might be an interesting week to take of work. You can stay up all night, and watch the games, then sleep during the day. But then I already plan to take The Masters and the UK Championships off, so a bit of a dilemma. :chin:

you need to give yourself a shake mate and use your holidays better tbh

get out and about, go a holiday or do something other than just sitting in yer house watching snooker <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
you need to give yourself a shake mate and use your holidays better tbh

get out and about, go a holiday or do something other than just sitting in yer house watching snooker <doh>

It wouldn't just be spent sat in my house, though. Granted I might have a day on my sofa, with a big-arse pizza arrive and a case of beer and then go to town on that bad-boy. (One year at The Masters I got through a 20-odd bottle box of Budweiser in one day.) <laugh>

But I do other things. I got mates who watch snooker. Some of which don't work 9-5 jobs, so I can see them during the day and watch snooker with them. Others take a day off and watch it in the pub with me. If it's not The Crucible, I can be hitting the cafe some mornings before matches. Sometimes I might even invite my mum. It's important to make time for the family, especially if they are paying. If I have the UK Championship off this year, which I'm thinking of, I will travel up to York for a few days. Hopefully happen on a few Islanders again. I supposed it'd have to be the UK to be fair, otherwise the whole tournament would be on at 3am. What pub would be open? <laugh>

To be honest, with all that rubbish happening, I wonder how people have time to have holiday abroad? Or why they bother? There's so much I can do and incorporate snooker with, within walking distance of my flat, why go elsewhere? There's even one of your precious Reflex nightclubs ten minutes walk from where I live.

You know what, you just made my mind up. I'm not going on a summer holiday this year, so I think I will definitely take the UKs and the Masters off. :bowdown: :bowdown: