Topic locked

Re: Premier League 2011: Week 10 (Grimsby)

Postby Wildey

mishcka wrote:If i was being paid to commentate; I'd do my homework first :D

you got the job <ok>

Postby Snooker Overdrive

If that were the case the Premier League would lose a lot of prestige and it lost already quite some after the introduction of the televised PTCs. It would also massively hurt the TV ratings, maybe Sky wouldn't even pick it up in the future. This day could very well mark the beginning of the end of the Premier League.

Postby Wildey

as it is its the semis is.

Ding v Williams
Ronnie v Trump

Ronnie needs 1 frame

for
Ronnie v Williams
Ding v Trump

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:If that were the case the Premier League would lose a lot of prestige and it lost already quite some after the introduction of the televised PTCs. It would also massively hurt the TV ratings, maybe Sky wouldn't even pick it up in the future. This day could very well mark the beginning of the end of the Premier League.

its a cockerel handed Protest against the PTC by making the impression he has to become a Rankings hussy.

Postby Casey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:It really looks like this is Ronnies last Premier League year.

He said it again, this time even clearer.

What was said?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:If that were the case the Premier League would lose a lot of prestige and it lost already quite some after the introduction of the televised PTCs. It would also massively hurt the TV ratings, maybe Sky wouldn't even pick it up in the future. This day could very well mark the beginning of the end of the Premier League.

its a cockerel handed Protest against the PTC by making the impression he has to become a Rankings lovely lady.

Are you saying that Ronnie wants Hearn to devalue the PTCs by saying he's quiting the Premier League?

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wild wrote:

its a cockerel handed Protest against the PTC by making the impression he has to become a Rankings lovely lady.

Are you saying that Ronnie wants Hearn to devalue the PTCs by saying he's quiting the Premier League?

yup lol

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Casey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:It really looks like this is Ronnies last Premier League year.

What was said?

He said that there are so many ranking events all around the year and the Premier League slipped down the priority list and so he it's very likely he won't be there next year, invited or not.

Postby Casey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Casey wrote:

What was said?

He said that there are so many ranking events all around the year and the Premier League slipped down the priority list and so he it's very likely he won't be there next year, invited or not.

WoW! the PL used to be on of his fav tournaments. Do you think the new format has something to do with it?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Casey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Casey wrote:

What was said?

WoW! the PL used to be on of his fav tournaments. Do you think the new format has something to do with it?

Well Wild has his theory, I think it's more likely that he really cares about his success in the ranking events in the coming year and the Premier League is a big distraction. He said he wants to play in the big tournaments and not qualify for them.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Casey wrote:

What was said?

no telling hearn less events or you wont see me in this again.

Postby Tubberlad

Premier League without O'Sullivan = death of the competition. The Premier League needs O'Sullivan more than any other tournament needs a player... it's been dying a death, but without the best shot-clock player of all time, it may as well call it a day.

Postby Wildey

Semi Finals 26th of November

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Mark Williams
Ding Junhui v Judd Trump

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:Premier League without O'Sullivan = death of the competition. The Premier League needs O'Sullivan more than any other tournament needs a player... it's been dying a death, but without the best shot-clock player of all time, it may as well call it a day.

i think Ronnie has same idea and with Barry's matchroom the promoter hes hoping mr hearn will like to be blackmailed a bit. <laugh>

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:Premier League without O'Sullivan = death of the competition. The Premier League needs O'Sullivan more than any other tournament needs a player... it's been dying a death, but without the best shot-clock player of all time, it may as well call it a day.

i think Ronnie has same idea and with Barry's matchroom the promoter hes hoping mr hearn will like to be blackmailed a bit. <laugh>

Assuming you're right do you think it will work?

Postby Tubberlad

The Premier League is a thoroughly rubbish tournament now sadly. It was never among my favourites, but it really is a bloody circus now.

Postby Witz78

If Ronnies ranking was less precarious hed happily sacrifice the PTCs for the likes of Premier League and Shootout etc but hes not in that position at the moment so something has to give as we know Ronnie likes to pick and choose when he plays.

He does have himself to blame for the predicament hes in due mainly to missing a lot of events in the last 2 years.

But as for the Premier League, i dont think Ronnie has turned against it, and the new format doesnt fuss him one way or another, its just that at this stage of his career he has new priorities and i think its clear that the Ronnie of old is back, form wise and i expect big things from him at the UK and beyond in the rest of the season.

I think the Premier League has had its day though, mainly due to the expansion of snooker. When there were only 6 events it was ideal in the winter but now we have a 3 month gap in the autumn between rankers cos the PL takes up 10 / 11 weeks effectively. It also means we have a crammed 4 months in the spring with the Masters, Shootout, World Open, Wales, Germany, India, PTC Finals, China and World Champs all crammed in.

Now theres talk of even more rankers so unless the PL goes, where on earth are they going to fit them all in. I think the time has come for Sky to either rebrand the PL into a 1 week elite tournament for the top guys or ditch it completely and start showing a couple of newfull rankers which have their own stamp on it.

And as for the PTCs i think a reduction in them is also due and ideally i want to see 4 main rankers on mainland Europe very soon.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wild wrote:

Assuming you're right do you think it will work?

no i bet sitting at home Barry Hearn is laughing his head off <laugh>

so ronnie will either play or not lol

Postby Tubberlad

Good points Witz. My feeling is that if they want the Premier League to continue, they need to seriously overhaul the thing, into a week long competition or something among say eight players... at the moment, I don't think it's worthy of it's place as it's taking up too much space in the calender spread out the way it is...

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Witz78 wrote:If Ronnies ranking was less precarious hed happily sacrifice the PTCs for the likes of Premier League and Shootout etc but hes not in that position at the moment so something has to give as we know Ronnie likes to pick and choose when he plays.

He does have himself to blame for the predicament hes in due mainly to missing a lot of events in the last 2 years.

But as for the Premier League, i dont think Ronnie has turned against it, and the new format doesnt fuss him one way or another, its just that at this stage of his career he has new priorities and i think its clear that the Ronnie of old is back, form wise and i expect big things from him at the UK and beyond in the rest of the season.

I think the Premier League has had its day though, mainly due to the expansion of snooker. When there were only 6 events it was ideal in the winter but now we have a 3 month gap in the autumn between rankers cos the PL takes up 10 / 11 weeks effectively. It also means we have a crammed 4 months in the spring with the Masters, Shootout, World Open, Wales, Germany, India, PTC Finals, China and World Champs all crammed in.

Now theres talk of even more rankers so unless the PL goes, where on earth are they going to fit them all in. I think the time has come for Sky to either rebrand the PL into a 1 week elite tournament for the top guys or ditch it completely and start showing a couple of newfull rankers which have their own stamp on it.

And as for the PTCs i think a reduction in them is also due and ideally i want to see 4 main rankers on mainland Europe very soon.

Very good comment Witz.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Witz78 wrote:If Ronnies ranking was less precarious hed happily sacrifice the PTCs for the likes of Premier League and Shootout etc but hes not in that position at the moment so something has to give as we know Ronnie likes to pick and choose when he plays.

Very good comment Witz.

makes a unbelievable change but yes good comment <ok>