Topic locked

Re: The Premier League revamp

Postby Wildey

cant wait for Dave Harold the 2011 World senior champion playing in it next season <laugh>

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:cant wait for Dave Harold the 2011 World senior champion playing in it next season <laugh>

surely Hendry will swallow his pride and accept his invitation into this years event <doh>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:cant wait for Dave Harold the 2011 World senior champion playing in it next season <laugh>

surely Hendry will swallow his pride and accept his invitation into this years event <doh>

it could be his key to the prem league for the next 10 years <laugh>

Postby Witz78

simplysnooker wrote:Witz - I'd say Murphy would have been next to go?

yeh then again on the flipside Hearn may have saw the opportunity to guarantee the winner of that a PL place to help add to its importance and relevance.

Postby Wildey

putting major winners in to it im all for it but elevating world seniors to that degree was <doh>

why not again incorparating the PTC Table....

major winners with the PTC Table filling in blanks.

again Selbys name rings loud and clear.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:putting major winners in to it im all for it but elevating world seniors to that degree was <doh>

prob have to say that the criteria id use would be......

1)Defending PL champ
2)Championship League winner
3) World Champion
4) World Championship runner up
5) UK Champion
6) Masters Champion
7/8/9) the 3 Highest in end of season rankings not meeting any of the above criteria
10) Matchroom Sport wildcard

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:putting major winners in to it im all for it but elevating world seniors to that degree was <doh>

prob have to say that the criteria id use would be......

1)Defending PL champ
2)Championship League winner
3) World Champion
4) World Championship runner up
5) UK Champion
6) Masters Champion
7/8/9) the 3 Highest in end of season rankings not meeting any of the above criteria
10) Matchroom Sport wildcard

i have no problam with that but ffs dont hide behind world seniors just be honest.

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:The pockets templates used in PL were the official templates. Of that I'm certain. One factor that influences the "receptivity" of the pockets is how "new" the cloth is and all PL legs were played on newly reclothed tables.
But the problem with the new format is not about the pockets, it's about the "ball in hand" situation. Does a century that starts with a ball in hand count as an official one? Should it? I remember that Phil Yates raised the point in the shoot-out and opinions were divided.

So what was the outcome? Were any tons at the shootout to be counted?

Postby Monique

Casey wrote:
Monique wrote:The pockets templates used in PL were the official templates. Of that I'm certain. One factor that influences the "receptivity" of the pockets is how "new" the cloth is and all PL legs were played on newly reclothed tables.
But the problem with the new format is not about the pockets, it's about the "ball in hand" situation. Does a century that starts with a ball in hand count as an official one? Should it? I remember that Phil Yates raised the point in the shoot-out and opinions were divided.

So what was the outcome? Were any tons at the shootout to be counted?

No they weren't despite the fact that the ones that were made all started the "normal" way.

Postby Dannyboy

I usually understand the logistics of all the tournaments, but this one has lost me!
As Tubberlad has said, this will end in failure.

Postby randam05

I really liked the premier league..it gave great snooker entertainment every week, with top top top players, playing very good snooker. Great atmospheres and a league table to follow along the program with a good finals weekend.

Now it sounds rubbish.. Very dissapointed :-(

Postby Tubberlad

Dannyboy wrote:I usually understand the logistics of all the tournaments, but this one has lost me!
As Tubberlad has said, this will end in failure.

I really don't see it working at all, simple as that

Postby Witz78

give it a chance guys.

i fear its been pre-judged already though as seems to be the case on here and then if proven wrong, most of yous will refuse to acknowledge your error in judgement.

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:give it a chance guys.

i fear its been pre-judged already though as seems to be the case on here and then if proven wrong, most of yous will refuse to acknowledge your error in judgement.

If it works, I'll definitely say so, but I normally know before seeing something whether it's going to work or not. I thought Power Snooker looked a bit cluttered rule-wise, and it actually turned out worse than I was expecting. I felt the World Open and Shootout would definitely work, and they did.

If I'm wrong about the Premier League, I'll say so :hatoff:

Postby Dannyboy

Tubberlad wrote:
Witz78 wrote:give it a chance guys.

If it works, I'll definitely say so, but I normally know before seeing something whether it's going to work or not. I thought Power Snooker looked a bit cluttered rule-wise, and it actually turned out worse than I was expecting. I felt the World Open and Shootout would definitely work, and they did.

If I'm wrong about the Premier League, I'll say so :hatoff:

Agree 100%.

For the record, for those who say Uncle Barry knows what he's doing in changing the formats - in the PDC darts, Tommy Cox (the tournament director and founder of the PDC/WDC) came up with all the different formats, not Barry. Barry was just a promoter that got all the sponsors and TV coverage.

I'm definitely not saying he doesn't know what he's doing though.
But this WILL be a failure - as was Power Snooker.

Postby Wildey

what i will say the league needed changing it had gone stale no doubt about that.

inviting tournament winners tick even jimmy he did actually sort of win something :?

but all id do is play 20 seconds without time outs and invite only 8 players.

using the criteria they got

Ronnie O'Sullivan
John Higgins
Mark Williams
Neil Robertson
Judd Trump
Ding Junhui
Ali Carter
Mathew Stevens

shaun murphy loses out

simple change without going complicated.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Power Snooker was misunderstood

awwwwwwww :redneck:

Postby Roland

well that's pretty bloody obvious to me. As a concept, it was alright. It comes down to marketing at the end of the day. A bunch of drunken pin ends shouting abuse and being encouraged to do so coupled with referees shouting "Power Zone" every time the cue ball landed in baulk, plus an out of his depth Clive Everton not understanding what was going on and conveying that to a tv audience all helped to give entirely the wrong impression.

I'm actually surprised at how badly it really went down.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:well that's pretty bloody obvious to me. As a concept, it was alright. It comes down to marketing at the end of the day. A bunch of drunken porcupine spikes shouting abuse and being encouraged to do so coupled with referees shouting "Power Zone" every time the cue ball landed in baulk, plus an out of his depth Clive Everton not understanding what was going on and conveying that to a tv audience all helped to give entirely the wrong impression.

Second that; it is (was?) a perfectly alright concept as long as it isn't "sold" as a replacement for snooker. It's not snooker, it's a different game inspired from snooker and one that should have worked well for the "video games generation".

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:well that's pretty bloody obvious to me. As a concept, it was alright. It comes down to marketing at the end of the day. A bunch of drunken pin ends shouting abuse and being encouraged to do so coupled with referees shouting "Power Zone" every time the cue ball landed in baulk, plus an out of his depth Clive Everton not understanding what was going on and conveying that to a tv audience all helped to give entirely the wrong impression.

I actually agree with that. I was actually okay with some of the rules, with the exception of having a power zone as I think they called it.

Everton hadn't a clue what was going on, which yes, didn't help. My big problem was with the crowd, I thought they were awful in firing abuse at players and a ref. The whole setup looked very dingy, like it was snooker at a brothel or something.

Those were the little things that let it down with a bang in my opinion.

Postby GJ

i missed it all apart from the end

the most memorable bit was the chanting about ding

ding jun hui ma lord

says it all about it

ha ha

Postby Casey

I think Monique is right. It was fine entertainment, but it just wasn't snooker. It was as much a different game as pool is a different game.

Postby Wildey

i did not miss understand it....

theres nothing complicated in rubbish.....its there in the bowl.

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:i did not miss understand it....

theres nothing complicated in donkey doo.....its there in the bowl.

You said at the time you were completely confused by all the rules and that was the big turn-off :chin:

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:

You said at the time you were completely confused by all the rules and that was the big turn-off :chin:

by the rules yes

but i know whats rubbish and not and that was million %%% pooo with a capital P

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:

by the rules yes

but i know whats rubbish and not and that was million %%% pooo with a capital P

:hatoff:

Postby Wildey

Table set up0/10

Commentators in the Crowd 1/10

Roving Reporter in the crowd 1/10

Crowd interaction 1/10

Rules 0/10

Players Competing 9/10

Power Girls 10/10