Topic locked

Re: More PTC shambles

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:
Monique wrote:Wild, Sonny ,

Neither Shaun nor Mark have children yet (*). Their priorities might and will change no doubt if/when they have them. Snooker is not a sport where you retire at 30, with a fortune, and then can focus on whatever is important to you. You have to carry on well beyond that.

Oh :zzz: with all that stuff about kids Monique. It's got sod all to do with competitive snooker. If you have kids and your level drops it's called life. It's always been like this in sport, then the younger, hungrier generation come through and win all the big ones. If you're really good you'll come back after you've had kids and do it all again like Williams and Higgins, if you've not done it in the first place and go off and have kids then you're not going to do it when you come back. To get the records in any sport you've got to be driven and put your profession ahead of everything in life, to make a living and a name for yourself without the records you have families. Sport moves on, younger generations should dominate with only the best of the previous generation staying in the mix. That's called sport and it goes on everywhere.

I wasn't saying anything different: priorities change. But comparing younger players with no or little commitments with older ones who have them just isn't a fair reflection on the persons. Because older players once were young and hungry, and younger players will lose their edge someday. As you said it's life. That's all my post was about.

Postby Roland

You seem to think snooker should cater for those with families in particular. I agree, time off between tournaments to recharge batteries is needed every now and again so players should be able to pick and choose and not feel forced or bullied into it but events that play at venues and get on television need to climax at weekends when people can watch it so being a top sportsman at the top of your game means lots of weekends away from home. That's what being a sportsperson entails and always has.

It's good isn't it, having an arguement about players wanting to pick and choose more when they play?

Postby Wildey

take footballers proberbly christmas day afternoon they proberbly preparing for boxing day fixtures while their kids playing with what santa braught.

Postby snooky147

There never seems to be anything we say that you dont just dismiss with nonsense examples. I know the life that a pro at ANY sport has to lead, I dont ever deny it and again I am for Hearn and I am sure he will learn from this season and consult the players more, fix the schedule so that the travel is more evenly spread out and say no more about a money based ranking system that cannot possibly work AT PRESENT.
You Wild and others are just dismissing valid points for the silliest of reasons at times but they are valid points mate.

Postby Casey

From World snooker -

Further to the announcement yesterday on the date change for the early rounds of Players Tour Championship event 12, World Snooker wishes to engage in further consultation with the players to find the most suitable dates.

The entry deadline for PTC12 has therefore been put back to 12 NOON ON FRIDAY 2 DECEMBER in order to give more time for discussions with all professional players planning to enter.

Yesterday it was announced that the amateur pre-qualifier would be on Sunday 11 December, and the last 128 would be played down to 16 players on 15 and 16 December. But in the interests of fairness and transparency we are keen to listen to views from players on possible alternative dates, and any objections or concerns based on prior commitments.

We are committed to playing the final stages in Germany on 6, 7 and 8 January due to our contract with Eurosport but logistical problems have ruled out the option of playing the whole event at the venue.

The consultation process will continue in the early part of next week before a final decision is made.

Postby Wildey

snooky147 wrote:There never seems to be anything we say that you dont just dismiss with nonsense examples. I know the life that a pro at ANY sport has to lead, I dont ever deny it and again I am for Hearn and I am sure he will learn from this season and consult the players more, fix the schedule so that the travel is more evenly spread out and say no more about a money based ranking system that cannot possibly work AT PRESENT.
You Wild and others are just dismissing valid points for the silliest of reasons at times but they are valid points mate.

with Respect in 3 or 4 years yes they Valid Points.

people are forgetting here it was in the beginning of june 2010 that Barry Hearn got the Green-light with his Plan and it is a plan Planning for Snookers Stability for years to come unlike the Symbolic of Player Rule for the last 30 years.

17 months of Barry Hearn Rule thats all thats Been people are expecting everything to be right yesterday sorry but thats just not possible.

the criteria given to Barry When they voted him in Was simple "WE WANT MORE TOURNAMENTS TO PLAY IN WE FEEL LIKE PART TIMERS" thats what he was told and that what he gave them in absolutely no time of asking and as early as end of 2010 moaning had began.

Not every tournament can be played in perfect conditions it seems to me players wanted hearn in and put on Events like The World Championship every few weeks played in perfect conditions.... NO that was unrealistic.

He Put on Events pure and simple just as he was told by players...

Postby mediter

Wild wrote:
snooky147 wrote:There never seems to be anything we say that you dont just dismiss with nonsense examples. I know the life that a pro at ANY sport has to lead, I dont ever deny it and again I am for Hearn and I am sure he will learn from this season and consult the players more, fix the schedule so that the travel is more evenly spread out and say no more about a money based ranking system that cannot possibly work AT PRESENT.

with Respect in 3 or 4 years yes they Valid Points.

people are forgetting here it was in the beginning of june 2010 that Barry Hearn got the Green-light with his Plan and it is a plan Planning for Snookers Stability for years to come unlike the Symbolic of Player Rule for the last 30 years.

17 months of Barry Hearn Rule thats all thats Been people are expecting everything to be right yesterday sorry but thats just not possible.

the criteria given to Barry When they voted him in Was simple "WE WANT MORE TOURNAMENTS TO PLAY IN WE FEEL LIKE PART TIMERS" thats what he was told and that what he gave them in absolutely no time of asking and as early as end of 2010 moaning had began.

Not every tournament can be played in perfect conditions it seems to me players wanted hearn in and put on Events like The World Championship every few weeks played in perfect conditions.... NO that was unrealistic.

He Put on Events pure and simple just as he was told by players...

And now when there´s loads of tournaments it´s interesting what has changed.... A few years ago top-players were so eager about their ranking, who was supposed to be ranking 1 player at the end of the year and so. And how some old farts commentators always irritatingly highlited smooth talking ways "how SIX times world champion Steve Davis plays here against TWICE world champion Steve Davis, and winner meets SEVEN time world champion Stephen Hendry while SIX times world champion Ray Reardon is also present as a spectator".... And then there were that usual few months break between tournaments, so if player had a bad patch he was completely out of the scene. RUBBISH.

Now seems like top players are just happy to be inside top 16, so they can have acces to all tournaments

Postby roy142857

Statement from The English Association of Snooker & Billiards :

"It has been brought to our attention that late last week World Snooker announced a change of date for the Players Tour Championship Events 11 and 12, which has led to a clash of dates with our Pro Ticket Event Three.

We have since learnt that World Snooker may yet change these dates again, depending on what happens with consultation over the next few days.

We have looked at our Calendar for the end of December and throughout January, and there is no easy solution to change our dates, therefore the Pro Ticket Dates will remain as planned on 10th-11th December. Not all of the players on the Pro Ticket compete in PTC events so it would be unfair to the majority of players if we attempted to change our dates."

More than a bit of a mess, hope World Snooker manage to sort a different date for the amateur rounds, or perhaps re-arrange just the matches involving players who have a clash of dates (might be more than just those entered into the EASB tournament?) ... or could those matches be accommodated at the venue of the Pro Ticket Tour (Leeds)