Topic locked

Re: P T C 8 (The Alex Higgins International Trophy)

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:I certainly don't see Trump as being behind Selby, Robbo and Williams. I think Trump is on the verge of a new stratosphere. I think he's overtaken Mark Williams in potting ability and I think he can beat Hendry's record of 7 world titles.

I don't think Trump will win seven world titles, but I'll make a controversial statement. I think he is on the verge of becoming the World's best player, if he isn't already, it's him or Higgins in my opinion. I think Higgins has struggled this season after his fantastic season last time out, and although I could never write Higgins off, I think Trump is going to win the World title in 2012. I haven't seen a player as good as Trump and Ding outside of O'Sullivan and Higgins, and I count Williams in that. His game is a bit Jimmy White-esque, which is worrying, but he never buckled against Higgins which suggests to me that he's got the bottle to win World titles. There are some great players out there, but I think we'll be very hard pushed to find two better than Ding & Trump, though Lisowski could be good enough too, I haven't seen enough of him but he is very highly thought of.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I do feel a bit like Selby may have missed the boat by not winning the Worlds by now. After 2007 I thought he was nailed on to win it in the next 3 years, instead you've got Murphy and Robbo with no pressure because they've already done it, and Selby with the pressure still to do it. Robbo has clearly kicked on and upped his game which is what happens when you win the World Championships.

I certainly don't see Trump as being behind Selby, Robbo and Williams. I think Trump is on the verge of a new stratosphere. I think he's overtaken Mark Williams in potting ability and I think he can beat Hendry's record of 7 world titles.

trump will never be consistant enough in my opinion he will definitly get plenty of ranking events and world titles but he likes a good time out with the lads as a 21 year old Hendry was single minded snooker snooker and more snooker.

he virtually burnt himself out

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:As someone who wants Selby to win the World title next year, Judd is the only player I fear.

i think judd needs to slightly hit the balls a bit softly at times the more pressure he feels the harder and wilder he hits the balls but if he finds a purple patch he will be devestating....

Postby Bourne

Sonny wrote:I do feel a bit like Selby may have missed the boat by not winning the Worlds by now. After 2007 I thought he was nailed on to win it in the next 3 years, instead you've got Murphy and Robbo with no pressure because they've already done it, and Selby with the pressure still to do it. Robbo has clearly kicked on and upped his game which is what happens when you win the World Championships.

I certainly don't see Trump as being behind Selby, Robbo and Williams. I think Trump is on the verge of a new stratosphere. I think he's overtaken Mark Williams in potting ability and I think he can beat Hendry's record of 7 world titles.

You 'aving a giraffe mate ? Even I don't think he'll get anywhere near that mark, probs 3 tops. His game and whole make-up ain't designed the Hendry way to be ruthless and selfish in winning at all costs.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:What I take from this event is that Selby was playing well, Trump crucified him and then Robbo demonstrated how to nullify Judd. Hopefully Selby will develop a gameplan to beat Judd otherwise he could end up left behind. Robbo has the edge on Selby for sure despite the fact they've still not bloody played each other!

I agree. Though Judd is beatable, you have to play a certain style against him. (And be very effective at that.)

At the moment, Judd would be nigh on impossible to beat if you try to beat him at his own game. Some people think because Judd is pulling out outrageous pots all over the place, they've got to go for everything themselves. Which won't work. Also, Selby is one of the very best safety players in the game, but in matches I've seen them two play Judd's safety has improved almost enough to beat him that way.

Judd will take on anything remotely pottable, and pot them 90% of the time. It's about finding the 10% he'll miss, and then being able to capitalise. He seemed to get frustrated when Robertson did this last night. At the moment, there are only a couple of players above Judd. And they are top players, who still need to be very much on form to win.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Sonny wrote:What I take from this event is that Selby was playing well, Trump crucified him and then Robbo demonstrated how to nullify Judd. Hopefully Selby will develop a gameplan to beat Judd otherwise he could end up left behind. Robbo has the edge on Selby for sure despite the fact they've still not bloody played each other!

I agree. Though Judd is beatable, you have to play a certain style against him. (And be very effective at that.)

At the moment, Judd would be nigh on impossible to beat if you try to beat him at his own game. Some people think because Judd is pulling out outrageous pots all over the place, they've got to go for everything themselves. Which won't work. Also, Selby is one of the very best safety players in the game, but in matches I've seen them two play Judd's safety has improved almost enough to beat him that way.

Judd will take on anything remotely pottable, and pot them 90% of the time. It's about finding the 10% he'll miss, and then being able to capitalise. He seemed to get frustrated when Robertson did this last night. At the moment, there are only a couple of players above Judd. And they are top players, who still need to be very much on form to win.

yes Robertson really got him at it last night but he would have learnt a lot from that.

the biggest problem with players like judd and Robbo is when they not acurate pots wont go in where as long potter like williams a floater he doesent need to be as acurate balls will go in off the knuckle.

Postby Bourne

Think people are over-analysing last night based on one (the last) frame, the deciding factor was frame four which, let's face it, came down to a 50/50 pot luck with how the colours were played out and Judd's head only dipped after that (which nonetheless was pretty disappointing since he only needed to win 3 in a row which was hardly impossible) ...

Conditions didn't help either, suited Robbo's more measured and broken approach to the game.

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:yeah few years back Robbo was the one that struggled in broken play you learn that part in time with experiance

Yeh can't praise him highly enough to be honest because he might not have won nearly as much as he has now if he didn't change his approach to the game.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:yeah few years back Robbo was the one that struggled in broken play you learn that part in time with experiance

Yeh can't praise him highly enough to be honest because he might not have won nearly as much as he has now if he didn't change his approach to the game.

lets face facts regarding trump all he needs is a run in a biggie again because his play in some of the PTC Matches this season has been brilliant TBH.

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:

if id put money on the more dominating player id say Selby..... Robbo does go walk about for longish periods but recently he has curtailed that i think its set up nicely for this season with Robbo,Selby and Williams the Front Runners with Higgins and never Write Off Ronnie chasing then you Got Trump,Ding and Murphy.

thats a pretty strong 8 Man in contension for every Tournament.

mate

Last year robbo did go walk about because of his new baby and all but in previous seasons he went walk about because the lack of events meant no momentum could be gained in an event by event basis.

Now lots of event robbo can consistently play well in from event to event and continue good form for most of the season.

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:
Wild wrote:

if id put money on the more dominating player id say Selby..... Robbo does go walk about for longish periods but recently he has curtailed that i think its set up nicely for this season with Robbo,Selby and Williams the Front Runners with Higgins and never Write Off Ronnie chasing then you Got Trump,Ding and Murphy.

mate

Last year robbo did go walk about because of his new baby and all but in previous seasons he went walk about because the lack of events meant no momentum could be gained in an event by event basis.

Now lots of event robbo can consistently play well in from event to event and continue good form for most of the season.

good point its impossible to be consistent with no tournaments to play in.

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:
GJ wrote:
Wild wrote:

mate

good point its impossible to be consistent with no tournaments to play in.

for example he beat cope in grand prix final and didnt play another proper match till uk 2 months later

:grrr: <doh>

Postby vodkadiet

Trump is Evens to win the World Championship by 2020. so how the hell can you think he will win 7? :?
Last edited by vodkadiet on 24 Oct 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby vodkadiet

Tubberlad wrote:He won't be winning seven <laugh> Sonny is known to exaggerate things a little bit from time to time

Trump will need to win 8 to become the greatest modern era player. More chance of winning the lottery!

Postby Tubberlad

Casey wrote:He won't win 7 - remember he has Ding to contend with also.

My point exactly. They're both good enough to win multiple World Championships, in fact it's hard to imagine them not doing so. So seven is not realistic at all.

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:He won't be winning seven <laugh> Sonny is known to exaggerate things a little bit from time to time

ohhh where judds in the question Sonny has exagirational tendancies <laugh>

on the back of his 2007 World debut sonny had earmarked Trump Winning a ranker during 2007/2008 season and before sonny askes im not going on 606 to look for them i still have nightmares about that place <laugh>

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:

ohhh where judds in the question Sonny has exagirational tendancies <laugh>

on the back of his 2007 World debut sonny had earmarked Trump Winning a ranker during 2007/2008 season and before sonny askes im not going on 606 to look for them i still have nightmares about that place <laugh>

And who can forget his Liu Song prophecy a few years ago

OBP :D

Postby GJ

OBPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

unranked

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:What a player Robertson is. Six ranking titles and two PTCs, I think it's fair to say that he's playing himself into form and should be a serious contender again this season, and at the Crucible.

People never learn their lesson with Robertson. Never, ever, write him off.

nobody playing better than him consistantly at the moment he will be going in to the UK on a high although theres another 2 PTC Before that.

Selby is more consistent.

But all this talk about who will win this and that, if there's one thing I learned from snooker in all my years:

You CAN'T predict it.

Postby vodkadiet

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wild wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:What a player Robertson is. Six ranking titles and two PTCs, I think it's fair to say that he's playing himself into form and should be a serious contender again this season, and at the Crucible.

nobody playing better than him consistantly at the moment he will be going in to the UK on a high although theres another 2 PTC Before that.

But all this talk about who will win this and that, if there's one thing I learned from snooker in all my years:

You CAN'T predict it.

Trump will win 7 world titles. Ding will win 8, Selby at least 4, Higgins 9, Lisowski 5, Robertson 11, Michael White at least 3. :-D

Postby Roland

You see even I can't remember where all this Liu Song business came from. I remember both him and Liang Wenbo catching my attention at the same time and I must've got mixed up somewhere along the line because Wenbo is clearly the more eye catching player of the two.

But Judd, well you're all laughing but if in 20 years time he's clocked up 7 world titles then right now I would not be surprised. I'm currently in love with his long red pack smasher screw back to baulk shot that he's made his own. A more attacking shot in snooker I've yet to see, and he absolutely bucking nails them.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wild wrote:

im a selby fan and believe me hes not .

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wild wrote:

im a selby fan and believe me hes not .

I'm not a Selby fan and believe me he is.
You should take a look at the rankings.

Postby Roland

Selby blows hot and cold. Usually blowing hot against someone you think would give him a tough challenge and cold when it's against someone he should blow away in the next round.

How can Judd be evens to win a world title by 2020? I'll have some of that.