Topic locked

Re: PTCs reward

Postby Wildey

John Higgins also said Power Snooker for want of a Better Word is bucking bullocks so your telling me mon if John sais it then it must be True

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:John Higgins also said Power Snooker for want of a Better Word is bucking bullocks so your telling me mon if John sais it then it must be True

everything that cretinous plutocrat says can be taken with a pinch of salt

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:John Higgins also said Power Snooker for want of a Better Word is little kittens playing with each other having fun fluffy bunnies so your telling me mon if John sais it then it must be True

No, but basically John says what Ronnie, Maguire and others including me said before and which is true. You don't like this truth but it won't change the facts. This has nothing to do with his opinion on Power Snooker. Power Snooker is a show, nothing more, and if you like it great, if you don't, fine.
But the way Hearn is squeezing the players financially will put the future of the game into jeopardy if it goes on. Because you can't spend money that you don't have, not for long anyway and without the players, especially the young ones there is no future.
I'm stubborn about this subject because I do care for the future of the game and what Barry Hearn is doing there isn't right. He has done and does a lot of good things, but this in particular isn't. I'm not a Barry Hearn hater, but I don't worship him neither. He's human and as such he does make mistakes - we all do - and this is one.

Postby Smart

I'm sure HJ is struggling financially now that he cannot make money out of his lucrative WORLD SERIES snooker, which visited snooker hotbeds like Jersey, Kiev, .......

Very shortsighted of HJ and anyone else criticising an expanding tour. If they dont like it, dont play in them, simple. Who wants to watch HJ play anyway, not me. :hatoff:

Postby Wildey

http://prosnookerblog.com/2011/11/23/ps ... tive-zone/

PSB: Have you got a view at the moment on the PTCs?

SD: I don’t really know what the general feeling is. It costs money to play in them. It’s not necessarily that much reward, there is obviously the problem of them thinking that they are having their arms twisted to play in them because of the ranking points and of course that is the case.

I can see that if the game is going to grow in these countries it is a much easier task if the players embrace it and go with it. It is match play and you could argue that you can’t buy it. Well you can, you can buy your place in the PTCs and if you don’t have all those matches you are short on match play. Ok you can play somebody in the club but there is nothing like those and that can kick-start somebody’s season off.

So you can’t just say it’s all about how much it costs, there is a bigger picture. There is a possibility if you make it into the top 24 there is a big prize at the end, if you have got a sponsor he is going to get his logo on television. It is a glass half full job and from my point of view I am thoroughly enjoying sticking my head in the deep end.

It is easy for me to say I don’t have a problem with how much it costs, I understand that. I understand that it is tough on some of the players but if you look at some of the Euro Pro Tour Golf events and all those young kids playing on the golf tour and how much those kids have to pull up to try and be a golf pro then I would say that is probably far more. You have got to stump up a bit of dough.

I think the future for younger players is that they have got to be a little more self-promoting, getting themselves known in their areas to get someone to sponsor them. I think that you can’t just sit and wait for somebody to come and sponsor you.

Perhaps the WPBSA could probably help you with how to promote yourself because when you think of how much people spend on racehorses, if you get some bloke who throws money at a racehorse trainer every week for the upkeep of hay or whatever it is…if you can’t find somebody in your local area to invest six grand in you rather than throwing six grand down a horse’s mouth, then you could say you are not doing your job right because they have got to be out there.

There have got to be people, businesses with a good few quid who for a bit of fun will say ‘go on then, you seem like a nice young lad’, there has got to be a bit of that. I am sure that young golfers do it so that is the future. They have got to be a little bit more proactive.

i dont agree with everything Steve sais not by a long chalk but he has got this spot on...

players has to take the bull by the horns themselves and not be nurse maded lets go out there tout for buisness not expect it to come to them lets self promote....

Barry Hearn isnt a multi million pound nursery where he will wipe players baboons shiny behinds after a rubbish its every man for them self so stop fuckiung moaning get out there get a backer or buck off to do something else.

Postby Monique

Why don't YOU do it Wild if it's so easy?

Barry Hearn is a multi millionaire because he knows how to make money with other people's effort. Like all of his kind.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:This debate between Wild and Monique since the 10. October feels like a hard-fought snooker match with no frame limit. <laugh>

10th of forever lol

Postby gallantrabbit

My feeling on this is that in it`s present state the tour can support 64 players max. 2 years ago it could support 30. 64 down are being given the opportunity to support themselves and earn from results. Any sport is a results based industry.
I`m really not a BH pup, but he really is doing nothing wrong here. He is testing the market and it will cost some players money. The ones that don`t win.
Maybe I`m comparing with the early nineties when 6-700 paid a lot and 600 got cheese all, so it`s already an improvement in a much barer era. IM humble O. The top boys should be out there waving the flag and thanking Hearny for dragging the game up. 20-50 should be even more grateful cos now they`re on 40k a year not 10. The others should dry their tears and get after it. There`s an opportunity there but only for the best.

Postby Monique

The tour in its present state can support maximum 32 players, if that, and there is no way that you build a global sport on such platform. Two years ago players were actually in a better financial position despite having less playing opportunities. Part of their expenses were covered by WSA and the amount of traveling was nowhere near to what it is today especially for the low ranked ones.
Yes they were only part-timers, but that meant that most of them had some sort of job (running a club, exhibitions, coaching) to complement their incomes. Now they don't have the time to do that anymore unless they sacrifice practice which is the sure way to spiral down.
One again there is no way I want to go back to 6 events per year. My complains and my "hard feelings" are about growing too fast without proper resources and structures, without enough attention to quality because ultimately it's the players - the game's most valuable asset - who are made to support the price of it, not the ones who make rash decisions on their behalf. And ultimately as well it's the future of the game that might be in jeopardy.
If 2 years ago people had been told we would have 15 tournaments in the season they would have made salto jumps with joy. Now I'm slagged off by the same people because I say that having 15-20 events properly organised and rewarded would be better for everyone than 30 and lots of shambles.

Postby Roland

Barry Hearn :bowdown: