Topic locked

Re: Ben's Progression

Postby Roland

Ben's been making waves this week:

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... ation.html

Good on him. Snooker needs characters who aren't afraid to speak their minds. It stoked up a couple of WUMs to post under "anonymous" to try and teach him a thing or two, but in my opinion their comments are null and void. It could be anyone, and is probably the same person, plus who are they to tell him what he can and can't say.

Go on Ben lad, show them what you're made of. :D

Postby Bourne

I don't think there's anything wrong with him saying that as long as he can back it up, because they are big words ... I think any right-minded snooker fan will want to see the younger players getting their shot at the big time.

Postby Roland

It shows confidence and self belief in his own ability, but he's certainly not arrogant with it. I can't wait for PTC2 now. Is the draw out yet?

Postby Bourne

I love confidence in a player, I even love a bit of arrogance but only when it's backed up, just makes for greater theatre when they do succeed.

Postby snooky147

Sonny wrote:Ben's been making waves this week:

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... ation.html

Good on him. Snooker needs characters who aren't afraid to speak their minds. It stoked up a couple of WUMs to post under "anonymous" to try and teach him a thing or two, but in my opinion their comments are null and void. It could be anyone, and is probably the same person, plus who are they to tell him what he can and can't say.

Go on Ben lad, show them what you're made of. :D

Your right, snooker does need characters who speak their mind but like the anonymous poster on SN I too think that he has done nothing yet to give him the right to speak out. I'm not saying he wont be a force in the game and I do wish him well but a bit of tact is needed before he alienates his fellow pro's with some other comment or other. Believe me it can happen. And just reiterating, this is not a dig at Ben. I also read Wilds comment about respect. Showing arrogance and a lack of respect while you are at the table is fine but everyone deserves respect off the table. This is why I have so little time for some players who show no respect to either their fellow players or the fans who come to watch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
All views expressed are my own and not that of any player.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:I love confidence in a player, I even love a bit of arrogance but only when it's backed up, just makes for greater theatre when they do succeed.

yes players who speak their minds has to back it up eventually but ben did not say he was going to win or be a success he said it as a group of younger players not him as a individual.

Postby Roland

To get it in context this is his tweet which caused all the fuss

BenHarrison147 Ben Harrison
@
@davehendon yes! time for the dead wood to go. we re all coming! #newgeneration

No harm in that from where I'm sitting. At the time it was written a load of tour qualifiers were knocking out some stalwarts. If anyone is offended by the term dead wood then they need to grow a thicker skin. This was said by a 19 year old!

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:To get it in context this is his tweet which caused all the fuss

BenHarrison147 Ben Harrison
@
@davehendon yes! time for the dead wood to go. we re all coming! #newgeneration

No harm in that from where I'm sitting. At the time it was written a load of tour qualifiers were knocking out some stalwarts. If anyone is offended by the term dead wood then they need to grow a thicker skin. This was said by a 19 year old!

from where im sitting every young players that has any ambition has to see players ahead of them as dead wood that needs clearing away.

Steve Davis,Jimmy White and Stephen Hendry might be legends but they also Dead Wood.

Postby Roland

I think we all know who the dead wood are but to name them is when it gets disrespectful because they are all still bloody good snooker players

Postby Witz78

Until the following or some of the following happens its going to be a slow process eliminating the deadwood from the game.

(A) Fairer starting points issued to tour newcomers or their one season total doubled

(B) Minimum points per event done away with completely, let alone those higher up the rankings getting more minimum points

(C) Qualifying events similar to the PTC with all qualifiers having to enter at first stage of qualifying competition.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I think we all know who the dead wood are but to name them is when it gets disrespectful because they are all still bloody good snooker players

im disrespectful :ahh:

seriously you earn respect and thoes 3 i named have earned that respect but hendry gave Dennis Taylor no respect in the 1987 GP Final when he said he was falling asleep while dennis was at the table.

its part of being young i think.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:(A) Fairer starting points issued to tour newcomers or their one season total doubled

not sure with doubling their points that would have made jamie jones seeded 24th after 1 season. without qualifying for that many events.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:(A) Fairer starting points issued to tour newcomers or their one season total doubled

not sure with doubling their points that would have made jamie jones seeded 24th after 1 season. without qualifying for that many events.

He was 32nd on the one year list for 2010-11 with 15,275 points.

But he finished the season 47th on the official end of season (2 year) ranking list.

Yes, you were correct, he would have been 24th had his points total been doubled.

The way i see it 24th would have been a more accurate position than 47th, its only 8 places away from his true one season form instead of 15 places away that 47th is.

This doubling up would accelarate the process of ridding the game of the deadwood.

Sure, this season cos he had the low starting points given to him last year, he has few points to defend so should rise towards that top 32 place, his one season form last year showed hes worthy of but IMO he deserves to reach a lofty position and have more points to defend this season, therefore if he proves he can keep up the form, then he deserves to have been up there in the first place.

Its all about a fair crack of the whip for me, and this seasons starter points are far greatly unfair than last seasons were (and last seasons werent even fair either)

Postby Roland

Can't believe the flippant way the reporter makes out the 147 is a regular thing. Ben says he spotted the max on 33 and the reporter didn't stop talking throughout!

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Can't believe the flippant way the reporter makes out the 147 is a regular thing. Ben says he spotted the max on 33 and the reporter didn't stop talking throughout!

yes his twelfth and in 3 frames he will make his 13th and by bed time he would make 5 of them lol

Postby SnookerFan

I like the idea of earning a place. I am of the belief that if a 21 year old player loses to a 45 year old player, then there is no room for complaint. A player should not just be handed qualification to a tournament. They should get it either through qualifying, or through being consistent enough to get in the top-16. If a player is 21 and do that, fine. If they are 47 and do that, fine. All this talk of people being young and getting into tournaments is all well and good, but if the youngsters aren't beating the oldies, well then that's their problem. You shouldn't stop playing just because of your age, and it's up to the youngsters to prove they are worthy.

However, young Ben here obviously believes he is worthy. Good for him. He should get the chance like everybody else. Not offended by his tweet in the slightest. He's now got to go and prove he is worthy on the table. There's no such thing as too old or too young, let's see him do it on the table. I think we all hope he does, to be fair.

Postby Wildey

young brits has no alternative but to qualify......however for other young players it is handed more freely im of the school of no wild cards just get out there and steamroll older players out of your way to get to the top if you cant then u was not good enough.

ben has confidence he gives it large which i love and he looks the part from all accounts (sonny seen him first hand) all he got to do is get there.......

PTC 1 did not go to plan and he has a tough route in the Paul Hunter Classic with Martin Gould in his path but i for one believe in him and think its only a matter of time before he qualifies and gets on tour.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:young brits has no alternative but to qualify......however for other young players it is handed more freely im of the school of no wild cards just get out there and steamroll older players out of your way to get to the top if you cant then u was not good enough.

ben has confidence he gives it large which i love and he looks the part from all accounts (sonny seen him first hand) all he got to do is get there.......

PTC 1 did not go to plan and he has a tough route in the Paul Hunter Classic with Martin Gould in his path but i for one believe in him and think its only a matter of time before he qualifies and gets on tour.

He and Martin can go out on the pull afterwards.

Postby Wildey

a 19 year old screwing what ever next <laugh>

Postby Wildey

WOW what timing you got to be one hell of a cueist to play that shot.

Postby Roland

Fast table with a biting cloth helps. I only say that because I know the tables I'm playing on at the minute that shot would be impossible.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Fast table with a biting cloth helps. I only say that because I know the tables I'm playing on at the minute that shot would be impossible.

yes but you stil have to hit that ball plum to firstly pot it and secondary get the back spin.

Postby Roland

Yes of course it was a good shot and landed plumb on the black and Ben would kick my bottom obviously and it would be a pleasure acting as ball retriever but it's so frustrating when all you've got to play on are thick slow rugs or bare glass cloths with no bite.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Yes of course it was a good shot and landed plumb on the black and Ben would kick my bottom obviously and it would be a pleasure acting as ball retriever but it's so frustrating when all you've got to play on are thick slow rugs or bare glass cloths with no bite.

you really enjoyed the SWA Tables its a let down going to ur club....

like after getting used to power steering its tough without lol

Postby Roland

The Stars were chameleons. I just like fast cloths with bite and slightly bigger pockets than at the SWSA. I'm not at the level where those pockets let me play how I want to play but I'm at the level where I get frustrated with the cueball not behaving. I can play deep screws but on the carpet cloths the ball in Ben's shot wouldn't have got past the blue spot and on glass cloths it wouldn't have got half way to the blue spot!