Topic locked

Re: PTC Draws and Formats

Postby Wildey

the only thing i can think about is 96 players are always through in to the last 128 without qualifying leaving a maximum of 32 places to qualify and Bash Maqsood got lucky this time

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:the only thing i can think about is 96 players are always through in to the last 128 without qualifying leaving a maximum of 32 places to qualify and Bash Maqsood got lucky this time

yeh maybe but its still a pish logic / theory if thats what they base it on though.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:the only thing i can think about is 96 players are always through in to the last 128 without qualifying leaving a maximum of 32 places to qualify and Bash Maqsood got lucky this time

yeh maybe but its still a pish logic / theory if thats what they base it on though.

Yes i know

Postby SnookerFan

MarkSelbyNo1Fan wrote:Potential Selby vs McLeod in Last 64. Hopefully Selby doesn't fall asleep.

They could be there all night. rofl

Postby Monique

jadechelsea WC wrote:I fill so sorry for selby <laugh>

I'm sorry for the ref! That's all. those 2 deserve each other.

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:
Sonny wrote:bitchy!

guilty as charged and remorseless. ;-)

Are you one of those women that can't pass another woman without making a sly comment on what they're wearing, or how fat they are? rofl
Last edited by SnookerFan on 24 Jun 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Monique

SnookerFan wrote:
Monique wrote:
Sonny wrote:bitchy!

guilty as charged and remorseless. ;-)

Are you one of those women that can't pass another woman without making a sly comment on what they're wearing, or how fat they are? rofl

Seriously, no I'm not in the least like that.
That was a deliberate "tease" at Sonny and it worked. :-D

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Sonny wrote:That's all women Snookerfan

bucking hell. It's Andy Gray. rofl

rofl rofl

Postby Monique

MarkSelbyNo1Fan wrote:Selby is no where near as slow as McLeod.

It's not about being slow, it's about being negative and according to Graeme Dott he's the most negative of them all. But he is slow as well, very deliberately, albeit only when it suits him.
More often than not his negativity bogs him down, which is a shame because he's got more than enough talent and a good enough game to win without resorting to those tactics (understatement). I'm convinced that he would have won a lot more if he was playing positively.
Last edited by Monique on 25 Jun 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
MarkSelbyNo1Fan wrote:Selby is no where near as slow as McLeod.

It's not about being slow, it's about being negative and according to Graeme Dott he's the more negative of them all. Although he is slow, very deliberately, when it suits him.

I Have been through this before and on this Graeme is talking through his bottom and coming across as clueless.

Mark Selby does not play any more negative than any other Player John Higgins included yes hes not as Attacking as Ronnie,Hendry or Williams but it pisses me off his game being described as Negative when he plays the same Percentage Game as John Higgins.

Postby Monique

Wild, he's EXTREMELY negative and it doesn't do any good to his game or his tally. Himself admitted to it on his blog. So why the hell doesn't he change it? He will never achieve what he's capable off, and it's a lot, until he does.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Wild, he's EXTREMELY negative and it doesn't do any good to his game or his tally. Himself admitted to it on his blog. So why the hell doesn't he change it? He will never achieve what he's capable off, and it's a lot, until he does.

Monique

theres a difference between being negative and taking time over certain shots i agree he could play quicker to help his rhythm but thats totally different from being negative.

Postby Wildey

that same mistake is being made with Ebdon ..........

Ebdon can play negative and he has done like that match with Ronnie but on the whole Ebdon doesn't play negative hes a very positive attacking player he just takes longer to make up his mind.

against Trump in the China open i expected him to come out very negative and tie up trump but he did not do that and tried to compete toe to toe with Judd and Judd overpowered him.

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:
Monique wrote:Wild, he's EXTREMELY negative and it doesn't do any good to his game or his tally. Himself admitted to it on his blog. So why the hell doesn't he change it? He will never achieve what he's capable off, and it's a lot, until he does.

Monique

theres a difference between being negative and taking time over certain shots i agree he could play quicker to help his rhythm but thats totally different from being negative.

I know that Wild and what Selby does is being negative, almost always, and take unduly long when he thinks he'll gain some advantage off it. But it's mainly about being negative. Just count how many reracks he manages to get in his matches as compared to others. And read Dott's interview again. It's not Ronnie saying that, it's Dott, a player with a - IMO not deserved - reputation of being slow and grinding.
Selby IS negative, extremely so. It's not against the rules of course. It's just killing the game, his game as much as his opponent's ... small matters. <cool> And if he was winning titles doing so, I'd say, OK fair play, he's doing what he needs to do to win, but he isn't. For a player of his quality winning just ONE ranker is underachievement. Until he understands that he's got nothing to gain from being utterly negative, that won't change.

Postby Wildey

reason Selby has a lot of Re Racks is because he asks for them very early in proceedings.

but it takes 2 players to get to a stalemate not one.

and i do know who said it and i also know hes talking crap on this matter.

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:reason Selby has a lot of Re Racks is because he asks for them very early in proceedings.

but it takes 2 players to get to a stalemate not one.

The way Selby plays he's creating those situations, deliberately. You can't have about 5x more re-racks than anyone else without being guilty for the situation... and when I say 5x it's at least that much.

Postby Wildey

lets hope ive not put snooky in a worst mood :redneck:

i like graeme i just think hes to fast to criticism Selby for playing roughly the same game he and John Higgins plays.......how negative Steve Davis plays nobody saying hes negative though and boy he really is negative....Selby gets more stick than anyone, Marco Fu is another that defies being negative and playing negative snooker another over the years is Stephen Lee those 3 players are negative Selby isn't.

Postby snooky147

No mate, you have not put me in a worse mood. I do agree with you about Davis, Fu and ESPECIALLY Stephen Lee, who along with Ian McCulloch play negatively and slowly (in my opinion deliberately) to try to put opponents off. No one can tell me that they actually enjoy playing at the pace they do. McCulloch in particular is awful and the day cant come quick enough for me when he drops from the tour. As for Lee, when I took Graeme down to Prestatyn for the very first time all those years ago when he was only a boy I noticed two players. One was the languid carefree amazing potter that was and still is Mark Williams and one was Stephen Lee who I immediately took a dislike of and I have never changed my opinion of him since. I cannot stand him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
All views expressed are my own and not that of any player.

Postby Roland

Recently Ben was playing Lee in a practice match. Ben went 2-0 up and Lee disappeared off for a fag and was gone for about half an hour. When he came back he won the next 4 frames to win 4-2. That's what you call a deliberate rhythm breaker tactic.

The perception by some of Selby's game is not one I share, that's pretty obvious. Until there's hard evidence e.g. specific shots in specific circumstances that prove he's being negative and are put up there for discussion, I'm staying out of it. Neil Robertson is more negative than Selby in my opinion.

Also, to state the bleeding obvious here, Selby has produced a large number of comebacks in his career whereby he plays his best snooker when his back is against the wall. During those occasions he tends to spend a lot of thinking time over specific difficult shots because he's trying so hard to play the best shot he can in the circumstances without rushing half-heartedly into the wrong shot and regretting it. I think those times more than others is when he gets criticised, but look at his results and look at the inventiveness and execution of the shot. Shot clocks would kill that part of the game.

As for Dotty, I was in the Crucible sat next to Matt when he was faced with a safety shot that could be played in one of two ways, either thin and bunching the reds together, or thick sending the white off cushions back to baulk and scattering the reds. Before he played it, I called the shot based on his interview, said "If he's true to his word, he's going to open them up here" and he did. So Dotty is not negative, nor has he ever been negative. He is very good at neutralising tough situations though, and sometimes that can mean a roll up from distance which leaves an easy safety for the opponent. Maybe some wrongly see that as negative, I dunno.

Postby Wildey

ive never seen Dott as negative but whats disappointing for me is he is criticizing selby in the same way he has been criticized in the past and there's nothing at all there to back up his claim they are hard match players.

yes he has speed up but when you look at selby in break-building he plays very fast like the hoover he been dubbed as.......its when there's a safety shot instead of hitting it up and down anywhere selby thinks long and hard for the best place to place the cueball for maximum effect to create a chance=attacking.

Postby Roland

Mainly it's when there is genuine reason to sit back and take stock though. When the BBC stick the old clock showing that he's spent a minute thinking time, you can bet your bottom dollar there's a reason for it and then he usually comes up with a gem that no other player would've played. I know this to be fact because it's the reason he's my favourite player.

Postby Wildey

ill tell you one thing with all this slow play talk its will push players in to playing quick negative shots.

Postby Roland

I'm a fast player when I get going and it is frustrating watching those players making a meal of every shot when the shot is obvious. I share everyones frustration. But you can't just say to those players "you're not allowed to play snooker".