Topic locked

Re: PTC Draws and Formats

Postby Roland

That's a bit of a myth also because it's all about balance, when to attack and when to defend. It's a fine line but overall he's got it about right. You can't tell me he's not positive because I've seen it with my own eyes! His safety is based around trying to carve out chances which means opening the reds and getting a good white and taking on the risky difficult pots which could reap rewards if they go in. He does that enough already!

Sigh...

OK well let's all follow his progress this season and see what happens. I like where he is now compared to where he was in December/January, he's playing more like he did in 2008/09 and if he keeps that up he will definitely win titles. What does let him down is that he has off days where it's just not happening for him. But winning ugly when you're not at your best is something all top players and tournament winners have to do.

Postby Monique

Well I suppose that "the game is in the eyes of the beholder". Indeed, let's just see what happens this season and how it goes.

Postby Roland

Is that another reference to his blog piece?

:zzz:

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:Is that another reference to his blog piece?

:zzz:

No. I don't even understand what you are talking about. If anything it's a ;-) at Shakespeare.

Postby Roland

Oh right, I thought saying the game is in the eyes of the beholder was another subtle reference to Selby writing in his blog that he needs to play to win rather than not to lose, which although true in the context of how he was playing at that time was also a sign of bowing to the critics instead of getting on with his own game.

Postby Monique

And good on him.
No the "beholders" in my mind were, you, me and others all looking at the game with a different eye.

Postby Wildey

theres no doubt i see the game different to you ....i like mind games where blood and guts is spilled to get a win and you dont .....i get more enjoyment out of hard matchplay than i do from exhibitions.

but we are different thats why you got to cater for different personalities there's no one formula to attract new fans we are different and want different things.

Postby Bourne

Not everyone can be as entertaining or as well-rounded as Judd so I perhaps was a bit harsh on Selby earlier but I stand by my notion that he is the most negative player in the top ten but I definitely appreciate his eye for a shot that many don't see, just the problem is you have to wait a while for it to come along :chuckle:

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Not everyone can be as entertaining or as well-rounded as Judd so I perhaps was a bit harsh on Selby earlier but I stand by my notion that he is the most negative player in the top ten but I definitely appreciate his eye for a shot that many don't see, just the problem is you have to wait a while for it to come along :chuckle:

thats not negative <doh>

you are confusing negativity with slow ....

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:Not everyone can be as entertaining or as well-rounded as Judd so I perhaps was a bit harsh on Selby earlier but I stand by my notion that he is the most negative player in the top ten but I definitely appreciate his eye for a shot that many don't see, just the problem is you have to wait a while for it to come along :chuckle:

thats not negative <doh>

you are confusing negativity with slow ....

He is slow and negative.

Postby Wildey

for example Robart milkins plays very negative at times but he plays quick.......reason he plays negative is he plays so quick he doesn't think about the best shot to play.

Postby fmsd91

Hi all,
Anyone knows when the entry packs for the PTCs 5-8 will be published?
I would like to participate in 1 maybe.
Regards,

Francisco

Postby Alex0paul

fmsd91 wrote:Hi all,
Anyone knows when the entry packs for the PTCs 5-8 will be published?
I would like to participate in 1 maybe.
Regards,

Francisco

Hi Francisco,

You don't happen to be the Spanish guy who played in a couple of the Paul Hunter english Opens are you?

Postby fmsd91

Right! (portuguese guy, living in spain) :D looooooooool

Postby fmsd91

Contacting world snooker by email I got no response as usual... :(

Postby Dannyboy

On the PTCs 5-8 entry - World Snooker are implementing an electronic entry system from July (a no brainer really). You can enter from there. There will be an announcement on their website in due course.

Postby fmsd91

Dannyboy wrote:On the PTCs 5-8 entry - World Snooker are implementing an electronic entry system from July (a no brainer really). You can enter from there. There will be an announcement on their website in due course.

NICE! thanks...

Postby Monique

the main event draw is now available here http://www.worldsnooker.com/staticFiles ... 789,00.pdf

The pre-qualifiers draw is here http://www.worldsnooker.com/staticFiles ... 793,00.pdf

Ronnie might face Tony Knowles in his first match, but given Tony's record in those events, I'd say he's more likely to face Nick Jennings ;-) .He might then face Stephen Hendry in the last 64, Matthew Stevens or Jack Lisowski in last 32.
Higgins and Maguire could clash as early as last 64, and then the winner could face Carter in next round... tough.
Also Mark Selby and Shaun Murphy could meet ias early last 64; Mark Williams could face Ken Doherty, Judd Trump vs Mark Allen and Ding Junhui vs Peter Ebdon at the same stage, but Ding has to overcome Daniel Wells first.
Also worth following: James Wattana faces Alan Mc Manus in last 128 and Jamie Cope takes Luca Brecel

Ben Harrison first match is vs James Cahill, while Sidney Wilson faces David Bailey

Postby Roland

David Bailey is the lad I played from Weston in my first match. Good player but Syd will win.

Postby Wildey

lets hope ronnie has something else he needs doing during the last 64 rofl

on the flip side playing Ronnie in Gloucester will bring in the punters which will be a great atmosphere it might help Stephen

BTW im not underestimating Ian Burns in particular he can play.

Postby GJ

Monique wrote:
Sonny wrote:I've already given my rational arguements but you're obviously on the wind up and haven't heard what I said. The only period of negativity from Selby came at the end of the last year and the beginning of this, a period of about 3 months, and that's it and it was triggered by the Premier League frame with Murphy which following on from Carter in Shanghai and Hawkins in the World Open was like a boxer standing up to two heavyweight punches and being felled by a slap. He's picked himself up since so all this negativity fluffy bunnies is just that - fluffy bunnies. What about Robertson for negative?

Robertson is just as negative and he hasn't Selby's creativity. I never said that Robertson isn't negative. He is and he plays mind games as well. But it's not because others are negative also that Selby isn't. He is. Read again what Dotty had to say about him, or was he also on a wind up? I'm not on a wind up. Selby played extremely negatively in some matches during the 2007 WC, so that's nothing new and not related to last years matches or a bad patch. It's his way as soon as things become harder and himself admitted to it on his blog. So I can't see why you can't accept the facts.

Robbo plays mind games as well

how dare he its only competitive sport afterall :wave: rofl :chuckle: :?

Postby GJ

Also if some players cant deal with some mind games they are obviosuly not mentally strong enough to be in top level sport

So my advice to them is if you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen

:wave:

robbo :win:

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:Also if some players cant deal with some mind games they are obviosuly not mentally strong enough to be in top level sport

So my advice to them is if you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen

:wave:

robbo :win:

Good Advice <ok>

Postby Roland

Snooker is a game of minds so mind games are all part of it.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:Snooker is a game of minds so mind games are all part of it.

I never said they weren't or that they shouldn't be within reason - ungentlemanly conduct is still punishable under the rules of snooker.
My post was an answer to yours: yes Robbo is negative, and in addition he does play mind games. The fact that he does, doesn't make Selby a positive player, for that matter. Selby is most of the time extremely negative and it's a shame because he doesn't need to be. He's too good for that . Will I say contrary to Robbo? Yes, I will. Selby's negative tactics might be efficient against Ronnie, albeit not all the time (Masters 2009, UK 2007) but they aren't against other type of players and it's my opinion that if Selby's tally is so poor for a player of his quality, it's mainly because of his negativity. It bogs him down more often than not.

@GJ
about "getting out of the kitchen and not standing the heat". What about you man? All last season you have been about how he was allegedly saving himself for the big one, every single tournament when he made an early exit. Only for him to go out round 1 in the big one ... after talking to the press about not being worried by his defense ;)
Now to be fair to Neil, it's mainly YOU doing such build up and putting words in his mouth so often. But you do him no favour.

Postby Bourne

Couple of winnable matches for Kacper if he can get by Bingham, tricky section for Ding with an in-form Lee second match up and well, I don't think Judd could have hand-picked an easier draw :chuckle: