Topic locked

Re: Hearn responds to Ronnie's "blackmail" comments

Postby Lucky

The players have the same options as other employees, strike etc. even a vote of no confidence. In the end if no stars turn up in china etc, his goose is cooked <ok>

Postby snooky147

Lucky wrote:The players have the same options as other employees, strike etc. even a vote of no confidence. In the end if no stars turn up in china etc, his goose is cooked <ok>

The players will go as long as the prize money is not so top heavy that it ends up with them hardly breaking even on flights and hotels if they get beaten.

Postby Witz78

Smart wrote:
Lucky wrote:Hearn will face a backlash....watching that documentary about him, he comes across as a power mad dictator, most of us work, and have bosses, but you expect respect, not an arshole on TV shouting its my way or they can F off! He's doing ok with the sport, but he's gotta listen to the players too, they are the sport and not some easily replaceable commodity!

yes he comes across super arrogant, not sure how much of that is for show and how much is 100% him. Maloney was saying that he was good for his word but not that he totally trusted him - that was my take of it <ok>

Maloneys just a jealous little pipsqueak whos peed off that Hearn and Frank Warren are success stories and have far greater stables of clients and companies than he does

Postby Smart

Witz78 wrote:
Smart wrote:
Lucky wrote:Hearn will face a backlash....watching that documentary about him, he comes across as a power mad dictator, most of us work, and have bosses, but you expect respect, not an arshole on TV shouting its my way or they can F off! He's doing ok with the sport, but he's gotta listen to the players too, they are the sport and not some easily replaceable commodity!

yes he comes across super arrogant, not sure how much of that is for show and how much is 100% him. Maloney was saying that he was good for his word but not that he totally trusted him - that was my take of it <ok>

Maloneys just a jealous little pipsqueak whos peed off that Hearn and Frank Warren are success stories and have far greater stables of clients and companies than he does

Hearn bum-boy <ok>

Postby Lucky

snooky147 wrote:
Lucky wrote:The players have the same options as other employees, strike etc. even a vote of no confidence. In the end if no stars turn up in china etc, his goose is cooked <ok>

The players will go as long as the prize money is not so top heavy that it ends up with them hardly breaking even on flights and hotels if they get beaten.

Agreed, if done properly the expanded tour can work......but you can't just pluck BS tournaments in Australia, china x5 and brazil!!!! And expect players to lap it up when they may end up out of pocket. It appears to me Hearn has a grand vision and is expecting the players to bankroll it with their talent <ok>

Postby Wildey

mate with respect the players for years drove this sport to fucksville they had their chance and cocked it up although i dont agree with everything hearn sais or does its better having one man call the shots.... running the sport by cometee has proven itself worthless over decades

Postby Witz78

yeh whatever the Hearn critics say, just cast a mind back 3 years to when Walker was still in charge and wed a 4 month summer break, 6 weeks between rankers, ever dwindling prize money, no sponsors, and the sport basically dying on its bottom and a laughing stock to your average man in the street.

Postby Roland

Hearn said in the documentary he hates committees and by god is he right about that one! Committees are evil! Nothing ever gets done and everyone who sits on one is an blue frog with self interest at the core.

Postby gallantrabbit

Despite the danger of being labelled a Hearn fan boy... rofl I agree with his stance with Ronnie once again. I think he is pretty happy that Ronnie wouldn't be able to walk away from something that gives hims such a buzz as winning the world snooker final. Let's face it if Hendry were still a contender he'd be back on the practice table already.
Also Hearn has to work for the majority. 5 rankers in China are great. They're going to uncover untold players over there and having two great centres of snooker in the world is just what our game needs.
There's going to be ever more money flying around for the boys who can win matches. Time to get on the gravy train and get off bucking twitter.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Hearn said in the documentary he hates committees and by god is he right about that one! Committees are evil! Nothing ever gets done and everyone who sits on one is an blue frog with self interest at the core.

problem with Cometees is Some people want somethings done Like Renevations to a Club and discussing tenders and its Talk after Talk after Talk and the builder left hanging for weeks and weeks until they decide to do something then find out the Fee you thought you might need to pay has gone up so you have to start all over again discussing the new fee...

in a nutshell thats how snooker was for years so the Sponsors or TV Companies decided enough is enough and screwed off.

waste of time.

Postby Alpha

Lucky wrote:
snooky147 wrote:

Agreed, if done properly the expanded tour can work......but you can't just pluck BS tournaments in Australia, china x5 and brazil!!!! And expect players to lap it up when they may end up out of pocket. It appears to me Hearn has a grand vision and is expecting the players to bankroll it with their talent <ok>

It's not fair for the UK players to travel to China 5 times a year but it's fair to force the Chinese players to spend 2/3 of the year in a totally foreign country away from friends and family :shrug:

Postby boris_the_butcher

Alpha wrote:
Lucky wrote:
snooky147 wrote:

It's not fair for the UK players to travel to China 5 times a year but it's fair to force the Chinese players to spend 2/3 of the year in a totally foreign country away from friends and family :shrug:

pro snooker has always been a UK based sport, young chinese players planning on playing professional know this and accept it.

Postby vodkadiet

O'Sullivan is believing his own myth. He could retire tomorrow and whilst he wouldn't be forgotten overnight, he would soon be forgotten. Alex Higgins was a far bigger draw than O'Sullivan and everyone soon forgot when he went.

O'Sullivan is just an inflated ego.

Postby Witz78

vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan is believing his own myth. He could retire tomorrow and whilst he wouldn't be forgotten overnight, he would soon be forgotten. Alex Higgins was a far bigger draw than O'Sullivan and everyone soon forgot when he went.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

put a sock in it

change the record for once

Postby Sickpotter

boris_the_butcher wrote:
Alpha wrote:
Lucky wrote:
snooky147 wrote:

pro snooker has always been a UK based sport, young chinese players planning on playing professional know this and accept it.

Key point of this whole new tour set up is that pro snooker is no longer just UK based.

If the players don't want to participate in a world tour then they can choose not to attend the overseas events and live with the damage to their rankings.

Funny how the players just expect the money to be there right at the get go for all the new events. The reality is that the money will gradually go up but there's going to be a period where the money on offer will not be great, that's just the nature of developing an event. Each year more people attend, each year more interest from sponsors until eventually you've got enough interest that you can offer a really attractive prize pool.

I keep hearing people whine about player's not making enough to cover expenses should they go out first round.

I find that absolutely rofl

I've never been involved in an event that would guarantee expenses would be covered if you lose first round. Who the hell gets paid in professional sports when they don't win?

My general experience is that a player will go through 3-4 rounds of play before they can recoup their entry fee.

On top of that, why the hell do these players have expenses at all? IMO, if the player doesn't have sponsors or a manager/stable to foot the bill for their trips they haven't prepared properly to be a professional sportsman. If they consistently go out first round they aren't good enough to be professionals, plain and simple.

In the end players should be happy there are lots of events and the low ranked players should be thrilled when the top names elect to bypass an overseas event as it betters their chances of a good payday.

Postby Roland

boris_the_butcher wrote:pro snooker has always been a UK based sport, young chinese players planning on playing professional know this and accept it.

That's a very closed minded attitude. If everyone thought that then snooker's days really would be numbered.

Postby vodkadiet

Witz78 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan is believing his own myth. He could retire tomorrow and whilst he wouldn't be forgotten overnight, he would soon be forgotten. Alex Higgins was a far bigger draw than O'Sullivan and everyone soon forgot when he went.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

put a sock in it

What I said was absolutely true. Alex was a bigger draw than O'Sullivan and the sport survived very nicely when he retired.

<ok>

Postby Witz78

vodkadiet wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

put a sock in it

What I said was absolutely true. Alex was a bigger draw than O'Sullivan and the sport survived very nicely when he retired.

<ok>

Im more of an Alex man than a Ronnie man and of course i know how big Alexs box office appeal was but in the post Alex era, Ronnie equally is box office and the headline maker for snooker.

And id dispute snooker survived without Alex, the downward spiral of snooker began in the early 90s to be honest in many senses (coincidentally when Alex was forced out by the WPSBA)

Postby vodkadiet

Sonny wrote:What about Ding? He's huge!

Stephen Lee is huge!

:|

Regarding O'Sullivan, many great tournaments have there been without him even in it? How many have there been with him going out early?

The answer is plenty. He makes no difference to an event, unless you're a blinkered fanboy.

Let's face it, he has just won the Worlds, and it was one of the worst championships ever. Contrast that to the worlds in 2003, when O'Sullivan lost in the opening round, and it was one of the best championships ever.

Proof, that snooker doesn't need this illiterate to survive.

Postby Witz78

vodkadiet wrote:

Stephen Lee is huge!

Regarding O'Sullivan, many great tournaments have there been without him even in it? How many have there been with him going out early?

The answer is plenty. He makes no difference to an event, unless you're a blinkered fanboy.

Let's face it, he has just won the Worlds, and it was one of the worst championships ever. Contrast that to the worlds in 2003, when O'Sullivan lost in the opening round, and it was one of the best championships ever.

"Regarding O'Sullivan" ................. :weeds:

haha not like you :gag:

Postby vodkadiet

Witz78 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

Stephen Lee is huge!

"Regarding O'Sullivan" ................. :weeds:

haha not like you :gag:

Please tell me what was the better Worlds, 2003 or 2012? Tell me what happened to O'Sullivan in each of these events?

:wave:

Postby Wildey

Sickpotter wrote:
boris_the_butcher wrote:
Alpha wrote:
Lucky wrote:
snooky147 wrote:

Key point of this whole new tour set up is that pro snooker is no longer just UK based.

If the players don't want to participate in a world tour then they can choose not to attend the overseas events and live with the damage to their rankings.

Funny how the players just expect the money to be there right at the get go for all the new events. The reality is that the money will gradually go up but there's going to be a period where the money on offer will not be great, that's just the nature of developing an event. Each year more people attend, each year more interest from sponsors until eventually you've got enough interest that you can offer a really attractive prize pool.

I keep hearing people whine about player's not making enough to cover expenses should they go out first round.

I find that absolutely rofl

I've never been involved in an event that would guarantee expenses would be covered if you lose first round. Who the hell gets paid in professional sports when they don't win?

My general experience is that a player will go through 3-4 rounds of play before they can recoup their entry fee.

On top of that, why the hell do these players have expenses at all? IMO, if the player doesn't have sponsors or a manager/stable to foot the bill for their trips they haven't prepared properly to be a professional sportsman. If they consistently go out first round they aren't good enough to be professionals, plain and simple.

In the end players should be happy there are lots of events and the low ranked players should be thrilled when the top names elect to bypass an overseas event as it betters their chances of a good payday.

Just Look at Darts it has now about £500,000 to the Winner of the WC under Barry Hearn but thats taken years to get to that stage

Take a look at prize Money the Darts players competed for in Las Vegas http://www.dartsdatabase.co.uk/Tourname ... ournKey=16

2002 1st Prize $20,000
2009 1st prize £30,000

Phil Taylor won both of them and a further 3 inbetween

players has to help build a sport up it wont just happen.

Postby Witz78

200k to winner of 2012 PDC darts actually

and yes its taken a while to get to there but the darts prize has dramatically increased year by year almost catching up with snooker which has stagnated for years.

15-20 years ago the snooker world champion got as much as the Wimbledon winner and the Open golf winner and got about 6 times as much as the darts winner.

Snooker prize has stagnated since

so Darts has almost caught up

and Tennis and Golf are now 5 or 6 times as much for the winner.

Just shows where the sport could have been by now if Hearn had been in charge instead of the muppet players for all them years.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:200k to winner of 2012 PDC darts actually

and yes its taken a while to get to there but the darts prize has dramatically increased year by year almost catching up with snooker which has stagnated for years.

15-20 years ago the snooker world champion got as much as the Wimbledon winner and the Open golf winner and got about 6 times as much as the darts winner.

Just shows where the sport could have been by now if Hearn had been in charge instead of the muppet players for all them years.

thats my point

Next Season there will be 4 Tournaments with £100,000+ prize Money first time for quite a while its Getting done but it seemes to me players want big money for doing nothing and expect Hearn to foot the Bill from the off.

it takes time with hard graft from players to get to there wont just happen.

Postby Witz78

Wild WC wrote:
Witz78 wrote:200k to winner of 2012 PDC darts actually

thats my point

Next Season there will be 4 Tournaments with £100,000+ prize Money first time for quite a while its Getting done but it seemes to me players want big money for doing nothing and expect Hearn to foot the Bill from the off.

it takes time with hard graft from players to get to there wont just happen.

FIVE actually

World Champs - 250k
Masters - 150k
International Championship - 125k
UK - 100k
PTC Finals - 100k

that 100k for the PTC finals winner has to be an incentive surely for players to enter the PTCs