Topic locked

Re: World Championship Afterthoughts

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Notice how the debate about the length of semi-finals is only brought up when we have two rubbish semi-finals. No one was saying they were too long last year when we had a couple of classics.

thats the point theres this thought that a long semi thats rubbish needs shortening it doesent its a test if players arent up to it 33 or 31 frames will expose that.

you cant legislate for a poor match no matter how long it is but some of the most memerable matches has been a WC semi final but its up to the players to deliver that not try and contrive to give it a false impression.

if someone gets hammered in 3 sessions that means the winning player deserved it.

Postby Casey

1. What was your favourite match in this years World Championship?

Trump v Carter

2. What were your 3 favourite moments in this tournament?

Hendry 147, Hendry's bow out, live Sheffield experience

3. What was the biggest surprise of the tournament?

Ronnie winning it.

4. Which players disappointed you the most?

Allen, Trump, Higgins, Robbo.

5. Which players surprised you the most?

Jones, Gilbert and Hendry

6. Will Ronnie win another World Title in his career?

Nope

7. Who will be World Champion in 2013 (without thinking about it too much)?

Trump, Selby, Robbo, Allen

Postby Andre147

Will choose 2: Trump and Carter; Ronnie and Robbo

- Hendry's 147.
-Allen going in off with the cue ball against Yupeng... loved that moment
- Trump trying to get the 4 snookers he needed... got 3, almost 4.... tension and nerves all over those moments

- Allen losing against Yupeng
- Higgins's shocking performance against Hendry
- Selby's performance

Trump and Ding

Ali Carter, Jamie Jones, Ryan Day

It depends on how much he still wants another... if he has this kind of will and determination, then definately... but if he does indeed win another, we will be asking the same question again: will he win another..? If I had to bet, I'd say he can still win one more.

Selby

Postby onlyevertonjon

Hendry vs Higgins, one last time for a great. Plus funny as to see Higgins get a beating at the Cruicble after being the worse player in his previous 4 matches.

Does Hendry's standing ovation count?
Ronnie winning it.
The 147.

Mark Allen going out. To be fair to Selby i thought he would struggle with his neck and he deserves some sympathy for that.

Stephen Lee. He played well most of 2012. Poor showing.

Ali Carter, Jamie Jones.

Laughing at all the anti Ronnie fans saying no like this was a fluke win. My answer, God knows, has the game to win one in his 40s, doesnt mean he will. Wouldnt surprise me if he only had 4 at the end. Only a fool, blinded by hate would say no to this as there is nothing to base it on.

Robertson.

Postby Smart

DAY vs Ding was dramatic, JONES vs Murphy was gripping, but I would have to say CARTER vs Trump - especially for the needle and the final frame, which was something quite special, and finally ROS vs Blobbo for the fact that it was rightly called the final.

The ALLEN black in off was bizarre, cruel and brutal. Sort of stunned me for a while despite not really caring about the result. ROS def Blobbo. Drinking DP with the Irish at the St Pauls and Seamus giving a glass to Carter.

No scandalous snooker related story in the press.

Dott.

Jones.

Yes.

7. Who will be World Champion in 2013 (without thinking about it too much)?[/quote]

Too hard to call.

Postby Casey

Just want to say I don't think Ronnie's win was a fluke but a few things came together for him - fair play to him for finishing the job.

I don't think he will win another one - he isn't getting any younger - he has roughly 4 years between each previous win from he won his first and 4 wins in 20 years total. Just don't think he will manage it again.

I thought last year that Higgins would win another one but now I'm certain he won't.

Postby Smart

Casey wrote:Just want to say I don't think Ronnie's win was a fluke but a few things came together for him - fair play to him for finishing the job.

I don't think he will win another one - he isn't getting any younger - he has roughly 4 years between each previous win - 4 wins in 20 years. Just don't think he will manage it again.

I thought last year that Higgins would win another one but now I'm certain he won't.

Higgins is at the crossroads now. He was woeful, now is the time that he needs to decided if he has had enough, cos I cannot see him carry on like this. Either he shapes up or I think he will quit totally. <ok>

Postby jojo

higgins is in decline that is obvious he missing far too many easy pots when in as well as other parts of his game not being as good as they once were because if he was still at his best he would be cleaning up all the trophies

none of the players fear him and they not afraid to go for it against him as for ronnie i can see him winning more world titles he will keep fresh by not entering all the events his game doesnt require that much concentration the only iffy thing with his game is long potting it been very inconsistent other than that he as good as he ever was if not then better in the safety department

the fact that a lot of players fold even before they play him will give him a lot of free wins and that is a huge advantage to have

ronnie wont dominate but i can see him averaging one to two ranking titles per season for the next five years at the very least

Postby vodkadiet

Higgins will not win another world title, O'Sullivan probably won't, but has more chance than Higgins.

I think a new generation of winners will emerge, and it is even possible a new name will emerge as champion next year.

It was unique that Williams, Higgins, and O'Sullivan all emerged at exactly the same time, and were born in the same year. That won't happen again. It is very strange that there hasn't been one single better player to have been born since those 3.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I think it would be foolish to write off Higgins. I did that after his terrible 2007/08 season but he came back stronger than ever. Also I didn't think he could make such an incredible comeback after his suspension with winning the UK, Welsh and the World.

He usually bounces back after a poor season and this one was just as poor as the 2007/08 season but if he can't turn it around next season his best time is probably over.

Postby jojo

you wonder if this generation of players have or are missing the boat ie the players who in their mid to late twenties early thirties look at the last six world champions it been shared between higgins and o sullivan except 2010

higgins however i wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt win a ranking event theres just nothing in his game that would scare opponents i know how good he was and he nowhere near that now but with his matchplay he will win a lot of matches he should lose

his comeback has more to do with being fresh missing the game and knowing he got a second chance which maybe he didnt expect and that took a lot of the pressure off him

most of the matches he look exhausted he been playing for twenty years and has a young family i cant se him being driven enough to win regularly he has other priorities

Postby Alpha

Snooker Overdrive wrote:1. What was your favourite match in this years World Championship?
Higgins v Liang- I didn't see the Trump/Carter match but this match could not be beaten for sheer entertainment

Hendry's 147
Hendry's TWO standing ovations the day after his retirement and before the last session of the final
O'Sullivan's 92 in the final

Many of the form players coming in to the Crucible underperforming

Ebdon, Williams, Higgins and Selby (sorry Sonny)

Cao Yupeng and Jamie Jones

If he really wants another one, he will win another one

Hopefully Ding

Postby vodkadiet

If he really wants another one, he will win another.

Are you John Parrott?

:parrot:

Postby JIMO96

1. Favourite match......Carter-Trump

2. Top 3 moments......(i) Allen in-off (ii) Carter-Trump decider (iii) O'Sullivan scoring 92 after Thorne declared "he'll do well to score 20+ here"

3. Biggest surprise......Ryan Days run.....didn't see that coming

4. Most disappointed with.....John Higgins in the Hendry match, Mark Allen for his outburst

5. Most surprised by......Cao (in a good way), Ding (in a bad way), the amount of non seeds in round 2

6. Will ROS win another?......sadly, yes

7. 2013 champ.....ROS

Postby Alpha

vodkadiet wrote: 6. Will Ronnie win another World Title in his career?
If he really wants another one, he will win another.

Are you John Parrott?

:parrot:

Sure, why not. :roll:

Postby gallantrabbit

Carter's win over Trump.
SEe above, Ronnie's 90 odd clearance (ridiculous) and Hendry's max.

3. What was the biggest surprise of the tournament? Hendry's retirement, at the time. Thinking about it though it wasn't so surprising. And he was very right when asking the interviewer "did I really play that well?"

4. Which players disappointed you the most? Trump, Robbo and Ding.

Ryan Day beating Ding and of course Jamie Jones.
He's just won one a few days ago at a canter. I'm going to sit here and say he'll never win another?? :no: Could very well. Especailly if he chooses to pick and choose.
7. Who will be World Champion in 2013 (without thinking about it too much)? Robbo.

Postby Witz78

vodkadiet wrote:I need a break from snooker now.

I wish you all a happy summer.

<cool>

Ronnie takes a break and so do you :chin:

what a coincidence rofl

im sure youll be back as soon as he is :gag: