Topic locked

Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan 2012 World Champion

Postby jojo

to be honest this hendon person im sure has a job to do so he has to say things that spark interest and get people talking otherwise he wont be doing his job effectively

i have no problem with him saying what he did because that his opinion or he may just have said it to create interest even if he didnt believe it like some of the bbc people do for example hazel irvine saying this has been one of the best tournaments ever i think even she doesnt believe that however she been told to promote the game

you cant imagine a presenter or pundit who suppose to be neutral and promoting the game saying it been a boring tournament like us fans been saying because lets face it aside from the hendry maximum the deciding frames in the higgins and carter matches and jamie jones run it been a rubbish tournament and created as much excitement for a man who impotent

Postby Roland

He's actually the best and most respected snooker journalist out there. He once told Witz he was talking rubbish and that's all it took it seems :redneck:

Anyway, in my opinion this is one of the few blogs worth reading on a daily basis http://snookerscene.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Wildey

jojo wrote:to be honest this hendon person im sure has a job to do so he has to say things that spark interest and get people talking otherwise he wont be doing his job effectively

i have no problem with him saying what he did because that his opinion or he may just have said it to create interest even if he didnt believe it like some of the bbc people do for example hazel irvine saying this has been one of the best tournaments ever i think even she doesnt believe that however she been told to promote the game

you cant imagine a presenter or pundit who suppose to be neutral and promoting the game saying it been a boring tournament like us fans been saying because lets face it aside from the hendry maximum the deciding frames in the higgins and carter matches and jamie jones run it been a rubbish tournament and created as much excitement for a man who impotent

this year reminded me of the 1985 World Championship but that year was saved by a great Memerable Final but this year it did not happen.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Ronnie O'Sullivan is the 2012 World Champion.

This victory is one of his greatest career achievements. Ronnie struggled the last couple of years in the majors and his last BBC tournament win was the 2009 Masters. A lot of people thought he didn't have it in him anymore to win the big one. Ronnie last ranking event title before 2012 came in 2009. He slipped down the rankings, nearly out of the top 16. It looked like his star was descending and his time as a world class players was over. Someone wrote after his 2011 Masters defeat against Allen: "Not a huge threat anymore, just another player". Judd Trump looked like his successor ready to take over his reign. But Ronnie had other plans ... he didn't roll over and said that's the way of life, nothing you can do about it.

He bounced back, like only an all time great could. He was 0-4 down to Andrew Higginson and could have thrown in the towel but he didn't. He came out to fight and beat him 5-4. Ronnie reached the final and was up against an superb Maguire who looked unstoppable leading 6-3. But once again Ronnie stepped up a gear and pushed Maguire hard. Stephen cracked under the pressure and Ronnie won in epic style 9-7. Ronnie finally was a ranking event winner again.

He played very well in the Welsh Open, he finally beat Trump and placed himself in a very good spot in the World Championship draw.

Then the World Championship started. Ronnie drew the hardest available opponent, Peter Ebdon the China Open Champion. The initially good looking draw, wasn't looking that good anymore. A lot of people predicted Ronnie to fall but he didn't. Many people thought that Ebdon might get into his head but he couldn't. Ronnie never lost his cool and punished Ebdon for all his mistakes severely. In the end it wasn't even close even though it couldn't have started closer, with a respotted black. Ronnie lost in China on a respotted black, now he started his journey to the top of the world with a successful respotted black.

Mark Williams played well in the first session against him and even led 3-2. But Ronnie won 9 frames in a row playing vintage snooker. Especially one of his centuries in that match was breathtaking.

Neil Robertson was waiting. The tournament favourite, the Masters Champion. Many people thought that Ronnie's journey would again come to an end against a tough match player, especially after Robbo led 5-3 after the first day. But Ronnie came out like a World Champion and stunned Robertson who looked rattled for 6 frames. Ronnie punished him severely and his long potting was outstanding. He closed out the match calmly without missing any pressure balls.

Matthew Stevens tried to pot him off the table but he inevitably failed. Again Ronnie with a 6 frame burst that put the match to bed.

Ronnie was in the final. He nearly completed his comeback to the top of the world, only Ali Carter stood in his way. Carter played tough match player snooker and his safeties were brilliant most of the time. Ronnie needed to work very hard for his chances but he used them well and won in the end convincingly.

Ronnie O'Sullivan became World Champion, the oldest winner since Ray Reardon. His comeback was completed. He was down in the dumps in 2011 and now a year later he's sitting on the snooker throne once again.

This World Title means everything. Ronnie isn't chasing rankings anymore, it's all about winning titles and in particular World Titles. He achieved so much in his career but this title is probably his biggest win since the World title in 2001.

I never doubted that Ronnie could win it again but I knew that he would have to win soon again and 4 years after his last title it was just in time. He proved that he's one of the most consistent players of all time. 2001, 2004, 2008, 2012 that has a nice rhythm to it.

Ronnie O'Sullivan is back where he belongs and it is so pleasing to see it after what happened the last couple of years.

:win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win:

:D :D :D :D Ronnie O'Sullivan World Champion :D :D :D :D

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:that doesent meen torch has not been past ...

Ronnie is a Great Champion and he had another day in the Sun yesterday but time moves on younger players has to step up to the plate at some point.

you said it: they have to step up to plate but they haven't done that (yet)

and that's why the torch isn't passed - Ronnie is World Champion and Trump is not

Postby Muppet147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ronnie O'Sullivan is the 2012 World Champion.

This victory is one of his greatest career achievements. Ronnie struggled the last couple of years in the majors and his last BBC tournament win was the 2009 Masters. A lot of people thought he didn't have it in him anymore to win the big one. Ronnie last ranking event title before 2012 came in 2009. He slipped down the rankings, nearly out of the top 16. It looked like his star was descending and his time as a world class players was over. Someone wrote after his 2011 Masters defeat against Allen: "Not a huge threat anymore, just another player". Judd Trump looked like his successor ready to take over his reign. But Ronnie had other plans ... he didn't roll over and said that's the way of life, nothing you can do about it.

He bounced back, like only an all time great could. He was 0-4 down to Andrew Higginson and could have thrown in the towel but he didn't. He came out to fight and beat him 5-4. Ronnie reached the final and was up against an superb Maguire who looked unstoppable leading 6-3. But once again Ronnie stepped up a gear and pushed Maguire hard. Stephen cracked under the pressure and Ronnie won in epic style 9-7. Ronnie finally was a ranking event winner again.

He played very well in the Welsh Open, he finally beat Trump and placed himself in a very good spot in the World Championship draw.

Then the World Championship started. Ronnie drew the hardest available opponent, Peter Ebdon the China Open Champion. The initially good looking draw, wasn't looking that good anymore. A lot of people predicted Ronnie to fall but he didn't. Many people thought that Ebdon might get into his head but he couldn't. Ronnie never lost his cool and punished Ebdon for all his mistakes severely. In the end it wasn't even close even though it couldn't have started closer, with a respotted black. Ronnie lost in China on a respotted black, now he started his journey to the top of the world with a successful respotted black.

Mark Williams played well in the first session against him and even led 3-2. But Ronnie won 9 frames in a row playing vintage snooker. Especially one of his centuries in that match was breathtaking.

Neil Robertson was waiting. The tournament favourite, the Masters Champion. Many people thought that Ronnie's journey would again come to an end against a tough match player, especially after Robbo led 5-3 after the first day. But Ronnie came out like a World Champion and stunned Robertson who looked rattled for 6 frames. Ronnie punished him severely and his long potting was outstanding. He closed out the match calmly without missing any pressure balls.

Matthew Stevens tried to pot him off the table but he inevitably failed. Again Ronnie with a 6 frame burst that put the match to bed.

Ronnie was in the final. He nearly completed his comeback to the top of the world, only Ali Carter stood in his way. Carter played tough match player snooker and his safeties were brilliant most of the time. Ronnie needed to work very hard for his chances but he used them well and won in the end convincingly.

Ronnie O'Sullivan became World Champion, the oldest winner since Ray Reardon. His comeback was completed. He was down in the dumps in 2011 and now a year later he's sitting on the snooker throne once again.

This World Title means everything. Ronnie isn't chasing rankings anymore, it's all about winning titles and in particular World Titles. He achieved so much in his career but this title is probably his biggest win since the World title in 2001.

I never doubted that Ronnie could win it again but I knew that he would have to win soon again and 4 years after his last title it was just in time. He proved that he's one of the most consistent players of all time. 2001, 2004, 2008, 2012 that has a nice rhythm to it.

Ronnie O'Sullivan is back where he belongs and it is so pleasing to see it after what happened the last couple of years.

:win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win:

:D :D :D :D Ronnie O'Sullivan World Champion :D :D :D :D

Thank you for that impartial report. :-)

Postby Roland

On a sidenote what happened in the Higginson match exactly? Not trying to take anything away from him, but I remember seeing the score 4-0 to Higginson and still not fancying him to finish the job. Did Ronnie play outstanding or was it like Selby's season turner against Sam Baird where his opponent threw away a couple of good chances leaving the star player to regain his mojo and kick on to bigger things?

Postby Muppet147

Sonny wrote:On a sidenote what happened in the Higginson match exactly? Not trying to take anything away from him, but I remember seeing the score 4-0 to Higginson and still not fancying him to finish the job. Did Ronnie play outstanding or was it like Selby's season turner against Sam Baird where his opponent threw away a couple of good chances leaving the star player to regain his mojo and kick on to bigger things?

I seem to remember there was one frame where Higginson was in a couple of balls of winning and O'Sullivan cleared up with a really good 60 plus break. Think Ronnie played very well but Higginson blew his chance.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Sonny wrote:On a sidenote what happened in the Higginson match exactly? Not trying to take anything away from him, but I remember seeing the score 4-0 to Higginson and still not fancying him to finish the job. Did Ronnie play outstanding or was it like Selby's season turner against Sam Baird where his opponent threw away a couple of good chances leaving the star player to regain his mojo and kick on to bigger things?

A bit of both. Ronnie got stronger with every frame but Higginson had a good chance to win 5-1, he was on a 63 break but he didn't get on a colour properly, he laid the snooker behind the brown but there was red sticking out and Ronnie potted it knowing if he doesn't get it it's match over and cleared the table brilliantly, including removing a pink from the side cushion. After that were was only going to be one winner.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I don't think Ronnie will take an exact 6 month break. I assume he will back to play in the Premier League (By the way who gets the last spot after Ronnie is now WC?). There are 6 ranking events outside Europe (Wuxi, International, Australia, Shanghai, World, China) and I think he will go 2 times to China but skip the rest. I pretty sure he will defend his title in Germany and go to Wales, I don't know about the PTC finals, probably not. I guess Ronnie will play in a couple of the PTC, but primarily in the UK ones.

Like every year, his main goal will be to win at least one of the 3 majors and especially trying to defend the World Crown.

Postby vodkadiet

Higginson was unlucky not to win 5-1, but after that he choked. He had chances in all the remaining frames, and missed some very easy balls. He missed at least a couple of very easy blacks off the spot when in the balls. It was pure choking.

:irk:

Postby Andy Spark

Sonny wrote:I don't see anything wrong with that comment either. It's what everyone was thinking at the time. Judd had Ronnie by the short and curlies early to mid-season.

Did he really though or was Judd just a little lucky? I mean he fluked match ball in a best of 7 and he very nearly lost to Ronnie in the UK. Ronnie was always the better all round player for me and Judd was always the player with the one dimentional game (at the moment!) who had a, not unusual, initial potting fearlessness that helped him win a couple of ranking events but would always have to further develop his all round game once that fearlessness was eroded to get to the same class as Ronnie.

Postby Roland

His matches with Ronnie were classics but it's sour grapes to say he was lucky. I remember him leaving the red till last in the PTC final and fluking it because being a left-handed player who uses the rest right-handed it was in his blindspot part of the table but fair play to him, he hit it hard enough to go in another pocket :redneck:

No to be fair he'd have been unlucky to leave it on and in a way he deserved it to go in. Your friend will love that...maybe it's why I said it. :D

In the UK Ronnie needed all reds and blacks to tie, he was up against it and he didn't make it. In the Masters Judd whupped him which is when the "torch passed" comment was made.

Postby Roland

I don't get why Judd needs to be compared to Ronnie anyway. Judd is his own man, he's a fantastic player, he's exciting to watch and a he's really nice down to earth lad who has the right amount of arrogance to see him right. Some say he's a basher, the truth is he times the ball sweeter than pretty much everyone and has shots others can only play in their dreams. I for one can't wait to watch him play again.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I don't get why Judd needs to be compared to Ronnie anyway. Judd is his own man, he's a fantastic player, he's exciting to watch and a he's really nice down to earth lad who has the right amount of arrogance to see him right. Some say he's a basher, the truth is he times the ball sweeter than pretty much everyone and has shots others can only play in their dreams. I for one can't wait to watch him play again.

its simple Ronnie fans would compare rubbish to Ronnie to put over a non existent point.

Postby Dougal

Sonny wrote:I don't get why Judd needs to be compared to Ronnie anyway. Judd is his own man, he's a fantastic player, he's exciting to watch and a he's really nice down to earth lad who has the right amount of arrogance to see him right. Some say he's a basher, the truth is he times the ball sweeter than pretty much everyone and has shots others can only play in their dreams. I for one can't wait to watch him play again.

If he's going to compare with anybody, I think a young Jimmy White is the best comparison. Purely in terms of how he plays the game.

Postby jojo

i would compare judd to a young jimmy white however jimmy never had the arrogance judd has also this is a significant difference judd is expected to be world number one and the man to beat whereas jimmy was always consisdered second to davis he never had that pressure of being the man to beat

judd will come good again i think because he young he started believing all the hype especially after winning the uk but so far he not been able to handle the pressure of being the man to beat but that doesnt mean to say he wont do in the near future

snooker is a far better place with judd in it and to be honest id much rather have seen him advance than carter but there you go what was meant to be was meant to be

Postby The Cueist

Well done Ronnie :spot on:

I dont get all this crap final comments,The guy played out of his skin and Ali Carter did well to get 11 frames off of him. :sad:

I can remember worse finals than this one.

He also done Ebdon,Williams ,Robertson who has none of the flair and panache Ronnie has.
The semi was a given with Matthew Stevens,No offence to Matthew.
Carter played the best snooker he has ever played in his career.

I get the feeling there is a lot on here who make comments about snooker and dont really appreciate how
hard the game is,Particularly on a star table that has tight pockets that dont give and a cloth like a sheet of glass and super bouncey cushions.

I could be wrong but i remember the Dott/Ebdon final being being a borefest and i like dotty.
Robertson v Dott,Not the greatest i must say.
Trump v Higgins was a big old letdown,Higgins experience and run of the ball won him that.

As i say seen a lot worse,What more do you lot want? :shrug:

Postby Witz78

Wild WC wrote:

its simple Ronnie fans would compare rubbish to Ronnie to put over a non existent point.

Hendon said passing of the guard

hes not a Ronnie fan but even hes comparing them

of course Judds gonna be compared to Ronnie, cos of their natural flair, talent and fanbase

Postby Sickpotter

Witz78 wrote:AT LEAST IF RONNIE TAKES A 6 MONTH BREAK IT IS DUE TO HIS OWN DECISION, NOT THAT OF A TRIBUNAL HEARING

Are you making some kind of point with this statement? :shrug:

Looks like a vague reference to an issue that's long forgotten and doesn't need to be raised

Grow up Witz :roll:

Postby Witz78

Sickpotter wrote:
Witz78 wrote:AT LEAST IF RONNIE TAKES A 6 MONTH BREAK IT IS DUE TO HIS OWN DECISION, NOT THAT OF A TRIBUNAL HEARING

Looks like a vague reference to an issue that's long forgotten and doesn't need to be raised

YES i am making a point :hatoff:

some people were getting their knickers in a twist over Ronnie taking 6 months off yer barely batted an eyelid when you know who was made to take half a years gardening leave <doh>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Sickpotter wrote:

some people were getting their knickers in a twist over Ronnie taking 6 months off yer barely batted an eyelid when you know who was made to take half a years gardening leave <doh>

if Ronnie taking a break that's up to him he is in a privileged position to be able to do that but snooker moves on with or without him for how long he wants the break.

Postby Witz78

the fact hes automatically seeded through to the venues all of next season means he has the freedom to take as long as he wants off really as the top 16 situation is no longer a concern. He has them World Open points to come off at the start which will dent his position as well as if he skips PTCs and early rankers which carry a lot of points, so he may well "drop" out of the top 16, depsite his favourable positon at the moment.

i think hell skip 2 Chinese events and Australia next season plus most of the PTCs

bear in mind as of the start of the season, the new provisional 2 year Order of Merit will start ticking over in the background with a view to coming in at start of 2014-15 season, so Ronnie will already know that a few wins in big events next season will already help him 2 years down the line when it comes to the new ranking system.

Postby Sickpotter

Witz78 wrote:
Sickpotter wrote:

How is the comparison even remotely similar Witz? One player was suspended and not allowed to play, one has chosen not to play because he's tired.

People complain about ROS because they feel Ronnie should be playing rather than complaining about how tired he is playing events 60 days of the year. Couple that with yet another retirement threat and you can see why his fans are getting annoyed.