Topic locked

Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan 2012 World Champion

Postby vodkadiet

I must laugh at the miserly 16/1 Ladbrokes are quoting for O'Sullivan winning 7 world titles or more. Are they joking? The guy will be 37 next world championshp. Furthermore, who is going to place a bet that is going take 3 years at an absolute minimum of 3 years to come to fruition?

It should be 50/1.

Ladbrokes - Extracting the urine once again.

Postby The Cueist

Well,He has made it clear that he won't be competing in all events.
His call and nobodys elses.
Family first i think are his reasons.
He wont lose fans,They love him,No one else comes close to him.

From Hearns point of view ,He has said if he doesnt want to enter tournaments he doesnt have to.
Hearn knows he is too much to lose,He is a box office smash and a tv viewing figures maximiser.

Better to have him part time than not at all.

Postby Andy Spark

Wild WC wrote:
Sonny wrote:I don't get why Judd needs to be compared to Ronnie anyway. Judd is his own man, he's a fantastic player, he's exciting to watch and a he's really nice down to earth lad who has the right amount of arrogance to see him right. Some say he's a basher, the truth is he times the ball sweeter than pretty much everyone and has shots others can only play in their dreams. I for one can't wait to watch him play again.

its simple Ronnie fans would compare rubbish to Ronnie to put over a non existent point.

I don't think you can really blame Ronnie fans for comparing Judd to Ronnie, it was really the media. The media wanted to portray Judd as the natural successor to Ronnie in accordance with the percieved lineage of "flair/peoples favorite" players. A lineage of Alex, Jimmy, Ronnie etc. It was a comparison that Judd enjoyed I think but it cuts both ways, it can be great but it can be a bit of a burden in terms of the level of expectancy.

Postby onlyevertonjon

vodkadiet wrote:I must laugh at the miserly 16/1 Ladbrokes are quoting for O'Sullivan winning 7 world titles or more. Are they joking? The guy will be 37 next world championshp. Furthermore, who is going to place a bet that is going take 3 years at an absolute minimum of 3 years to come to fruition?

It should be 50/1.

I work for Ladbrokes and that is tip of the iceberg stuff from them. Why the shops get any customers with their prices is beyond me.

and worse still they have Chris Kamara giving out football tips <doh>

Postby vodkadiet

onlyevertonjon wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:I must laugh at the miserly 16/1 Ladbrokes are quoting for O'Sullivan winning 7 world titles or more. Are they joking? The guy will be 37 next world championshp. Furthermore, who is going to place a bet that is going take 3 years at an absolute minimum of 3 years to come to fruition?

It should be 50/1.

I work for Ladbrokes and that is tip of the iceberg stuff from them. Why the shops get any customers with their prices is beyond me.

and worse still they have Chris Kamara giving out football tips <doh>

The Magic Sign!

rofl rofl rofl

Postby Andy Spark

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ronnie O'Sullivan is the 2012 World Champion.

It looked like his star was descending and his time as a world class players was over.

Well, if people round here had bothered to listen to me when I came on here before the season began then this great season of Ronnie's wouldn't have come as any surprise! It didn't come as a surprise to me, I told people here what would happen! I didn't think Ronnie was in decline, Neil Foulds didn't believe Ronnie was in decline, there were actually many astute individuals who could see things with Ronnie as they really were before the season began. <cool>

Postby Andy Spark

This is silly! I have to wait ages to get my posts on here and I'm not allowed to use any PM's. I think you are being mean to me. :-(

Postby John From London Town

Andy Spark wrote:Well, if people round here had bothered to listen to me when I came on here before the season began then this great season of Ronnie's wouldn't have come as any surprise! It didn't come as a surprise to me, I told people here what would happen! I didn't think Ronnie was in decline, Neil Foulds didn't believe Ronnie was in decline, there were actually many astute individuals who could see things with Ronnie as they really were before the season began. <cool>

You spelt Neal wrong, but I get your points. Ronnie is different gear.

Postby Andy Spark

John From London Town wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:Well, if people round here had bothered to listen to me when I came on here before the season began then this great season of Ronnie's wouldn't have come as any surprise! It didn't come as a surprise to me, I told people here what would happen! I didn't think Ronnie was in decline, Neil Foulds didn't believe Ronnie was in decline, there were actually many astute individuals who could see things with Ronnie as they really were before the season began. <cool>

You spelt Neal wrong, but I get your points. Ronnie is different gear.

Thanks John, I'm so used to saying Neil as in Neil Robertson. I think Neal said something like it was all to do with getting Ronnie's head right. That's the point really, all that happened last year wasn't to do with the normal vicissitudes of form it was unique to Ronnie and his psychology. Ronnie needed to get his head right and I thought that in the form of Dr Steve Peters he'd found the person to help him.

Postby Andre147

Jewell wrote:This Steve Peters must be the modern day Friedrich Nietzsche such is the impact he has had on Ronnie's mentality.

I agree with you, Andy, that with Ronnie it is all about his psychological well-being. Personally, I reckon Ronnie has, at least, another 5 World titles in him, it's all about whether he wants them or not. If he wants them, he'll get them, there's no doubt about that, LOL.

Yes, if he truly wants it, he gets them.. But the thing is he's not getting any younger, and it is becoming more and more difficult, and besides he doesnt always have this type of mentality... Although I'd rather be wrong, I think vodkadiet is right, when he says people are deluded who may think that Ronnie can win 7 or 8 World titles.. I personally too cant see that happening... At the most, I think he can win one more.. maybe two.. but no more I'm afraid... might not even win another one... How much longer would that take to win another? His gap between winning World titles is far too long for us to claim he can win 4 or 5 more... I wish he had this type of mentality much earlier in his career... then I'm sure he would have beaten Hendry's records...

But I honestly don't mind if he doesnt win another one... I just enjoyed him winning this one so much... whatever comes next is a bonus... :-) ;-) <cool>

Postby Casey

Ronnie has been a pro for 20 years and been to 4 World finals - he will not win another 5 World titles in his career.

First of all he has never defended a major championship, so maybe he should start there.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:It was mainly tongue in cheek when I said he has another 5 in him, but I can definitely see him winning a couple more. I think he and John Higgins can be real contenders for another 10 years minimum. Mainly because they have the B game to beat most players, unlike Stephen Hendry for example, who had no middle ground in his game, he was brilliant during his peak years and garbage the rest.

doesent say much for the standards if a player that was garbadge after his peak years reached 1 World Final,2 World Semi Final, 2 UK Final and a Masters Final.

Hendry was a victim of his own Brilliance that he thought he could walk on water id Rather have Hendrys Career for 10 years than John Higgins for 20 years any day of the week.

Postby Monique

Casey wrote:Ronnie has been a pro for 20 years and been to 4 World finals - he will not win another 5 World titles in his career.

First of all he has never defended a major championship, so maybe he should start there.

Nobody had defended a major title since Hendry in 1996. Actually Ronnie has defended more tittles, including rankers, than anyone else in his generation.

As for winning 5 other World titles, that's nonsense. He would laugh in the face of anyone suggesting that. He said it himself, he will never equal Hendry's tally, if only because he won't stay in the game long enough for that to happen and it's too late anyway. He's still excellent, but his best years are behind him.

IF, and thats only an IF, he had met someone like Steve Peters 15 years ago, he would most probably have a better tally and, maybe, equal Hendry's record. But it's only an IF and we will never know. As it is, most players would give a lot to win only half of what he has over their career.

Postby Skullman

I personally hope that Ronnie and Higgins don't win another major as I think it's time for the new guys to step up. New winners for a change, although having finalists in the other majors that had never won before was nice. Higgins may be going into decline or just having a poor season, while Ronnie looks like he could be a contender for a while yet.

Postby Wildey

i think its a myth Hendry did not have a good safety game when he chose to play it he chose not to most of his career because his Long game was just so clinical followed up with a clinical Breakbuilding.

but he needed a good safety game in thoes years because there was more emphasis on tactics so to get the best of Davis he needed to compete whitch he did.

i tink to be a good safety player you have to be a good long potter because most safties are Long Range and if you havent got a good potting eye safties will also suffer.

Hendry last 10 years should have adopted a more saftie oriantated game instead of trying to pot riskey pots whitch has cost him many matches in recent years but that dont meen he couldnt he just chose not to a pride thing i guess.

Postby Monique

He didn't need a good safety game. He had the potential to have one - everyone with such a good cue ball control has this potential - but he never developed it because he didn't like it and didn't need it.
I've talked with players from the 80th and what they told me basically was that putting the cue ball on the baulk cushion was - at the time - considered a good enough safety. Hendry changed that. Baulk cushion or not, if he could see the potting angle, he'll go for it and more often than not get it.
Just watch some old footages, and some recent ones and you'll see what I mean. Now all players go around the table to see exactly where they want the cue ball. You rarely see that in older footages.

Postby Casey

Robbo will be a major threat once again next season, I expect him to learn from his defeat to Ronnie and I think he will win a couple of titles through the season including another major.

Postby Monique

Winning is everything to Hendry - mark the use of the present tense - but he wants to do it while playing his game too. It's not about entertaining, or pleasing anyone (but himself maybe). He's said it many times: players have to play their games and go for their shots the way they see them.
Maybe, only maybe, he would have won more in the second half of his career had he played differently. But that's not certain. Usually players who try to play against their own nature bog themselves down more often than not.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:
Wild WC wrote:i think its a myth Hendry did not have a good safety game when he chose to play it he chose not to most of his career because his Long game was just so clinical followed up with a clinical Breakbuilding.

but he needed a good safety game in thoes years because there was more emphasis on tactics so to get the best of Davis he needed to compete whitch he did.

i tink to be a good safety player you have to be a good long potter because most safties are Long Range and if you havent got a good potting eye safties will also suffer.

Hendry last 10 years should have adopted a more saftie oriantated game instead of trying to pot riskey pots whitch has cost him many matches in recent years but that dont meen he couldnt he just chose not to a pride thing i guess.

Let's get one thing straight, Hendry's first and only priority was to win. Doesn't matter how, just win. He wasn't there to entertain. He was there to play the style that allowed him win.

So my question is this. Did Hendry CHOOSE not to employ the more tactical style in order to maybe win more? I reckon he surely would have if it meant he could win more. But in my opinion, his tactical just wasn't good enough, certainly not at the level of Davis (even the current version) or Higgins.

Hendry did not only want to win he wanted to annihilat players his way Winning alone was not enough he wanted to destroy them playing his brand of attacking snooker.

Postby Wildey

winning at all cost aka Ebdon was never his way he would rather Lose than doing that hence his Poor return in his later career had he been more of a winning at all cost type he would have won a hell of a lot more in his career than he did.

Postby Andy Spark

Monique wrote:He didn't need a good safety game. He had the potential to have one - everyone with such a good cue ball control has this potential - but he never developed it because he didn't like it and didn't need it.
I've talked with players from the 80th and what they told me basically was that putting the cue ball on the baulk cushion was - at the time - considered a good enough safety. Hendry changed that. Baulk cushion or not, if he could see the potting angle, he'll go for it and more often than not get it.
Just watch some old footages, and some recent ones and you'll see what I mean. Now all players go around the table to see exactly where they want the cue ball. You rarely see that in older footages.

The players in the 80's were actually just as good at safety as the players in the 90's, if not better. For a start they had to play more safety shots in a match so they practiced them more.

Postby Casey

Different era's, different styles.

Hendry wanted to play his way and it was extremely effective. Had he been more safety minded would he have been more successful in his later career- almost certainly. Had he been more safety minded in his early career, would he have been as successful? I would say know.

Postby boris_the_butcher

Wild WC wrote:winning at all cost aka Ebdon was never his way he would rather Lose than doing that hence his Poor return in his later career had he been more of a winning at all cost type he would have won a hell of a lot more in his career than he did.

that's as silly as the idea that Ronnie only wins when he he wants to. Hendry's safety game has always been sub-par, he learned the game in a very short space of time (first picking up a cue to the crucible in five years) playing all out attack that terrified the pros of the late 80s. when the post 92 generation had the overall game and eventually matured he seemed much more fragile. There's that quote "Steve Davis loves snooker, but Stephen Hendry loves winning" losing because of stubbornness doesn't befit a person who loves winning.

Postby Wildey

boris_the_butcher wrote:
Wild WC wrote:winning at all cost aka Ebdon was never his way he would rather Lose than doing that hence his Poor return in his later career had he been more of a winning at all cost type he would have won a hell of a lot more in his career than he did.

that's as silly as the idea that Ronnie only wins when he he wants to. Hendry's safety game has always been sub-par, he learned the game in a very short space of time (first picking up a cue to the crucible in five years) playing all out attack that terrified the pros of the late 80s. when the post 92 generation had the overall game and eventually matured he seemed much more fragile. There's that quote "Steve Davis loves snooker, but Stephen Hendry loves winning" losing because of stubbornness doesn't befit a person who loves winning.

it might be silly but its the truth ......he had a safety game he just choose not to use it.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:Sadly, we only ever saw a fraction of Hendry's true ability. He chose to keep most of his talent to himself. As an avid snooker watcher, I feel robbed!!

what the buck are you on about ???

we only see a fraction of sense from you and i dont feel robbed i just feel your a bit of a goof.

Postby Witz78

We keep hearing how Hendry was only interested in WINNING

if this was true, then surely he would have tapped into this supposed great safety game instead of not winning anything big for the last 13 years of his career

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:We keep hearing how Hendry was only interested in WINNING

if this was true, then surely he would have tapped into this supposed great safety game instead of not winning anything big for the last 13 years of his career

well lucky for williams,higgins and Ronnie he didnt then lets just be pleased he didnt so others has some sort of fade hope of being discussed in the same breath as him.

Postby Witz78

Davis could have won all the world titles in the early 90s that Hendry won if hes tapped into an all out attack game that hes good at, but he chose to continue to play his hit and run game from the 80s to be true to himself :D

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Davis could have won all the world titles in the early 90s that Hendry won if hes tapped into an all out attack game that hes good at, but he chose to continue to play his hit and run game from the 80s to be true to himself :D

bullocks even Joe Johnson and Dennis Taylor won in Davis era no chance in Hell in the Hendry years....only bucking idiot would even think such bucking rubbish.