Topic locked

Re: World Championship (Sun 6th of May) Final Disscusion !

Postby Smart

PLtheRef wrote:
Smart wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I miss the one this day feature. :sad:

For you

On this day in 2002, Peter Ebdon claimed his maiden world title by defeating Stephen Hendry 18 frames to 17 in what proved to be John William's tenth and final world championship final.

RIP John Williams, a real hard ref <ok>

He ain't dead you know.

snooker died when he retired, that was my point <ok>

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Ali Carter:

I didn't watch his opening match, so I can't comment on his performance there.

I watched his match against Trump though. He played well to lead 5-3 overnight but Judd came back strongly and took the lead. He was cruising at 12-9 and I thought no way back for Carter but Trump started missing easy balls. I think he had about 5 good chances to win the match. Ali held himself together well but Trump definitely threw the match away.

Carter looked very shaky against Jones and Jaime could have won if he hadn't gone for a tough red at 12-11.

Ali played his best match against Maguire but I think Stephen was a bit unlucky, he didn't have a good run of the ball and he lost almost all the close frames.

Jojo said it yesterday: he wasn't tested yet against a good tactician and he will be today.

Postby Casey

Take nothing away from Ronnie but he probably can't believe how this tournament has worked out for him -

Higgins, Selby and Trump all go out

Ebdon, Williams and Robbo all play below their best against him coming in below 90% on the pot success rate stats.

Stevens in the SF and now carter in the final for the second time.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Casey wrote:Take nothing away from Ronnie but he probably can't believe how this tournament has worked out for him -

Higgins, Selby and Trump all go out

Ebdon, Williams and Robbo all play below their best against him coming in below 90% on the pot success rate stats.

Stevens in the SF and now carter in the final for the second time.

Williams and Robbo played well in their first session but Ronnie put them under pressure and their pot success dropped. He played too good, Robbo for example would have beaten every remaining player in the tournament except Ronnie in the quarter finals.

Postby Roland

Robbo definitely let the side down when Ronnie levelled at 5-5. He went to rubbish, I thought he'd hold himself together but he allowed himself to be rattled. Williams didn't have the right game plan and his form wasn't good enough going into the event. Robbo is the one who should've done better though.

Postby vodkadiet

This has been a low standard event.

Higgins; worst he's ever played
Dott; appalling
Maguire; buckled under pressure
Murphy; produced nothing
Lee; form deserted him
Trump; nerves beat him
Williams; usual collapse
Robertson; choked
Ding; choked big time
Allen; paid price for inflated ego
Selby; injured, needed far more practice

Postby Snooker Overdrive

vodkadiet wrote:This has been a low standard event.

Higgins; worst he's ever played
Dott; appalling
Maguire; buckled under pressure
Murphy; produced nothing
Lee; form deserted him
Trump; nerves beat him
Williams; usual collapse
Robertson; choked
Ding; choked big time
Allen; paid price for inflated ego
Selby; injured, needed far more practice

Looks like Ronnie is the best player in the world by some distance then :hatoff:

Postby Roland

I know but he was just coming into proper form at the right time then he did his neck in! Guess we'll never know about this year but I really fancied the job and the way the draw panned out he'd have more than likely faced Ronnie in the semi and would've stood up to him better than Robbo did.

Postby vodkadiet

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Sonny wrote:The WN1 would've given him a proper work out had he been fit.

it's not like Selby wins the Worlds every year he's fit :gag:

If O'Sullivan had had his head on throughout his career he would be playing to win his 20th world title today/tomorrow.

:|

Postby Alpha

Disappointing tournament this year, shame considering how many players were playing so well in the lead up, and how many underperformed in the tournament. Selby might have given a better account of himself if he had been fully fit.

Postby Alex0paul

Smart wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:What a surprise, O'Sullivan coming out second.

does it matter <doh>

Yes, anything so that O'Sullivan can have the bigger build up as usual.