Topic locked

Re: World Championship (Sat 5th of May) S Final Disscusion !

Postby Alex0paul

vodkadiet wrote:
Maguire vs Hendry was up there. So many great matches, hard to pick one. Day's second session against Stevens is one I won't forget until my dying day.

Dott's 63% pot success rate really did show how the standards have rocketed during this championship

Postby Smart

Alex0paul wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Maguire vs Hendry was up there. So many great matches, hard to pick one. Day's second session against Stevens is one I won't forget until my dying day.

Dott's 63% pot success rate really did show how the standards have rocketed during this championship

:weeds: :zzz: :weeds: :zzz: :weeds: :zzz:

Postby jojo

the only question that remain is how many frames will carter win in the final i say it will be 18-12 ronnie as carter a better player than four years ago so will win a few more frames than in his last world final

apart from the hendry maximum jamie jones and the odd spurts of ronnie brilliance it been a poor tournament in terms of excitement

has to be the dullest world championship for the last ten or fifteen years or so but the champion will be a worthy one

Postby Andre147

jojo wrote:the only question that remain is how many frames will carter win in the final i say it will be 18-12 ronnie as carter a better player than four years ago so will win a few more frames than in his last world final

apart from the hendry maximum jamie jones and the odd spurts of ronnie brilliance it been a poor tournament in terms of excitement

has to be the dullest world championship for the last ten or fifteen years or so but the champion will be a worthy one

Agree, dullest or not, all I want is Ronnie to win, nothing else. Yeah I think Carter's all round game is much better now than 4 years ago... Think it could be close, because last time Ali was absolutely drained because of his semi win against Perry.

Hope Ronnie has at least one session of sheer brilliance so that he can stamp his authority on the match.

Postby Alex0paul

The scheduling for Carter has been absolutely ridiculous. He enter the tournament on the opening wednesday and has played every single day bar last friday. Completely unfair.

Postby Roland

Carter should've beaten Ronnie in the Northern Ireland semi a few years back. I think it was 5-5 and he needed red and black, and instead of dropping the red in to land on the black he played it with screw to cover the red with the black in case he missed (negative shot which actually made the pot harder). In the end he missed the red and didnt' cover it. #careless

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Sonny wrote:Carter should've beaten Ronnie in the Northern Ireland semi a few years back. I think it was 5-5 and he needed red and black, and instead of dropping the red in to land on the black he played it with screw to cover the red with the black in case he missed (negative shot which actually made the pot harder). In the end he missed the red and didnt' cover it. #careless

Yes, I remember that match. That was the closest he ever got and I thought it was all over but he missed it and the red stayed right over the pocket. He did cover it but Ronnie potted it cushion first. Ronnie won the title of course after the match.

Postby jojo

if it does get close which i doubt carter has a mental barrier against ronnie anyway so either way ronnie will win

this morning there was a small chance stevens was going to come back yet when the pressure was on at 13-9 he could have made it 13-11 he miss a pink then brown into the middle in successive frames they were key shots

same going to happen to carter i feel he may win a few frames when ronnies clear but if theres a chance he might get close it likely he will miss key pots or choose the wrong shot getting nervous

cant see ronnie losing on monday but it wont be a spanking

something like 18-12 is respectable

Postby vodkadiet

Sonny wrote:Ronnie's threatened to retire again apparently.

How many times is that now? The 185th or 186th time? Forgive me for losing count!

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

I wish the muppet would just shut his mouth until he does actually retire. It has become a long standing joke.

Rigsby will never retire. It is all a tiresome act.

<ok>

Postby Dannyboy

Well up into and including the Quarter Finals I think its been a superb tournament. A 147, drama, retirement, controversy - the tournament has had everything.

The Semi Finals were a bit dull - I admit that. The first match between Carter and Maguire was pretty tiresome. I just think the tournament goes on too long. 17 days is a hell of a long time; the players will get tired and the standard drops and I think the casual fan has got a bit bored. We MUST shave a few frames off the Semis - to best of 25 or 29. Maybe the L16 should be best of 19 also. Keep the final best of 35.

Postby Roland

Totally disagree. The semi-finalists styles and the fact so many names went out in round 1 was the reason the semis weren't great. The format has been the same for years, it's never been too long then suddenly this year all of a sudden people are saying the format should be reduced. It's ridiculous.

Postby Skullman

Semis are fine. The only problem I have them with is that they're only two frames less than the final. I'd revert them back best of 31 and make the final slightly longer maybe best of 37. There's nothing wrong with the format as it is, it's just who got through this year.

Postby Dannyboy

The format being reduced has been said for a number of years now. They're still long multi-session matches.

It seems a bit silly a massive jump from QFs to SFs and then only a tiny jump to the Final.

Remember the format used to be something like Bo60-70?

Postby Roland

Instead of looking at it as first to x frames, it breaks down like this:

Round 1 = 2 sessions

Rounds 2 and 3 = 3 sessions

Semis and final = 4 sessions

And hopefully that's how it will be forevermore.