Topic locked

Re: World Championship (Thurs 3rd of May) S Final Disscusion

Postby Skullman

jojo wrote:if stevens does beat ronnie he deserve the title full stop

robertson seem to think stevens will need a good start against ronnie to have any chance partly because ronnies tactical game is far better and partly because stevens not scoring as heavily as he was when he was at his fluent best at the turn of the millennium

two of the three remaining matches will be boring in terms of a spectacle with ronnie winning comfortably the worst thing that can happen is if one of maguire or carter win their semi comfortably

I can see Maguire winning easily. Carter has had two energy consuming matches and even though he seems better now, his Crohn's could strike at any time, while Maguire has had a fairly easy time getting to the semis, so will be fresh, and has a better tactical game than Judd or JJ3, and won't be phased by Carter's matchplay.

Postby onlyevertonjon

Alex0paul wrote:Its good that Maguire or Carter will only have one session to play on saturday giving them more chance in the final. O'Sullivan has never won a semi final on the final session on a saturday.

Yeah but battering Hendry with a session to spare in 04 helps th
at.

Anyway I think Matthew has a decent chance. As does Maguire against Ronnie if they get to the final.

Postby onlyevertonjon

Alex0paul wrote:Its good that Maguire or Carter will only have one session to play on saturday giving them more chance in the final. O'Sullivan has never won a semi final on the final session on a saturday.

Yeah but battering Hendry with a session to spare in 04 helps th
at.

Anyway I think Matthew has a decent chance. As does Maguire against Ronnie if they get to the final.

Postby jojo

im not being rude to carter i wouldnt begrudge him a title i like all the players left so whoever win ill be happy for them however carters so called matchplay is just that ie so called

his safety game isnt anywhere near great it just he chose to play safety shots turning down pots it doesnt mean his safety play is at a high level so when hes tested against someone like a higgins or selby or ronnie or robertson in the so called tactical exchanges he wont be able to live with them in that department

jones hasnt got a tactical side and trump chooses to go for all his pots that why it appear carter has good matchplay in truth he will be found out when he come up against a player who is able to play tactically

Postby snooky147

It does, on paper at least seem we are going to have a Maguire, O'Sullivan Final which would be a great fina I would imagine. Here's hoping to that. I can't see Stevens troubling Ronnie and while Carter has played well I think Maguire may well be a touch too strong for him. That match will be the battle of the bad tempered duo lol.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:

I think some people are getting a bit desperate looking for anti-Ronnie patterns. Not that mine was any better <laugh>

Exactly, they love to see Ronnie losing and not progressing any further, so they make up every excuse possible rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

He may have less time to rest, but that wont be a problem has he will beat Stevens easily. but even if he doesnt and it goes close, both play fast and dont hang around so it wont finish too late

Postby jojo

as much as id like to see it a maguire v ronnie final wont be close

i know their german open final was quite close but there was always going to be only one winner and maguire did hold a decent lead in that final and played out of his skin at the start

however he has battle scars at the crucible as well as against ronnie and he wont be able to keep up with him over four sessions just cant see it happening

if ronnie needs to he can use his tactical brain against maguire who just like to attack so theres only going to be one outcome

got to be one of the worst world championships ever in terms of excitement so many matches where players been winning comfortably but there you go cant really complain

Postby Witz78

jojo wrote:as much as id like to see it a maguire v ronnie final wont be close

i know their german open final was quite close but there was always going to be only one winner and maguire did hold a decent lead in that final and played out of his skin at the start

however he has battle scars at the crucible as well as against ronnie and he wont be able to keep up with him over four sessions just cant see it happening

if ronnie needs to he can use his tactical brain against maguire who just like to attack so theres only going to be one outcome

got to be one of the worst world championships ever in terms of excitement so many matches where players been winning comfortably but there you go cant really complain

TRY TELLING CLOWNS LIKE HENDON THAT

HIM AND OTHERS ARE BIGGING IT UP AS IF ITS BEEN THE BEST TOURNAMENT EVER <doh>

Postby jojo

the thing i noticed with stevens is generally he needing so many clear chances to win frames even when the match isnt close ie against day

think tommorow evenings session will set the tone think ronnie will take that 6-2 maybe 5-3 if stevens get off to a good start but 6-2 is almost nailed on

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Witz no Ronnie fan should complain about this tournament.

8 seeds went out in the first round and Ronnie and Robbo were the only title winners left in the tournament in the quarter finals stage. That obviously made the tournament less exciting. But all these seeds lost deservedly and it's all their own fault (except Selby).

Postby jojo

i dont know who this hendon bloke is think he a one from eurosport but maybe it their job to big the tournament up for obvious reasons but in terms of excitement it has been the worst for as long as i can remember

in fact i cant remember another world championship where there have been so many one sided results and so few deciding frames

think there have only been six or seven matches out of twenty eight where a player has won by two clear frames or less

Postby Snooker Overdrive

jojo wrote:the thing i noticed with stevens is generally he needing so many clear chances to win frames even when the match isnt close ie against day

think tommorow evenings session will set the tone think ronnie will take that 6-2 maybe 5-3 if stevens get off to a good start but 6-2 is almost nailed on

Stevens did well to reach the semis but he hasn't had to play a seed yet and Day totally collapsed like a cheap tent yesterday. There's nothing scary about this Matthew Stevens. The standard he played so far is laughable compared to Ronnie's.

Postby jojo

im not complaining because last years tournament was one of the best ever yet completely ruined by the winner so i say to people be careful what you wish for

ronnie will win it this year and it not his fault players buckle against him

Postby Snooker Overdrive

jojo wrote:i dont know who this hendon bloke is think he a one from eurosport but maybe it their job to big the tournament up for obvious reasons but in terms of excitement it has been the worst for as long as i can remember

in fact i cant remember another world championship where there have been so many one sided results and so few deciding frames

think there have only been six or seven matches out of twenty eight where a player has won by two clear frames or less

I agree. Hendry is a good example: he dropped only 8 frames before the quarter final and then he gets absolutely hammered. Jamie Jones was one of the highlights so far. I think the first round matches were the most exciting matches yet.

Postby Andre147

jojo wrote:im not complaining because last years tournament was one of the best ever yet completely ruined by the winner so i say to people be careful what you wish for

ronnie will win it this year and it not his fault players buckle against him

<ok> <ok> <ok> <ok> <ok>

Your opinions and views are just gold. Absolutely spot on :hatoff: :hatoff: :hatoff: :spot on: :spot on: :spot on:

Postby Roland

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Matthew Stevens's Crucible performances the last 5 years:

2008: first round defeat 10-5 to Higgins
2009: qualifing defeat 10-5 to Gould
2010: qualifing defeat 10-9 to Campbell
2011: first round defeat 10-9 to Allen
2012: SEMI FINAL rofl

2012 round 1: Fu playing at his absolute worst
2012 round 2: Hawkins on the way down, Stevens a better player
2012 quarter-final: Day takes the lead then gets a migraine and loses session 8-0

Say what you want, but there is no way Matthew Stevens should be in a World Championship semi-final at this stage of his career! But good luck to him over the next 3 days, he's going to need it.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Matthew Stevens's Crucible performances the last 5 years:

2008: first round defeat 10-5 to Higgins
2009: qualifing defeat 10-5 to Gould
2010: qualifing defeat 10-9 to Campbell
2011: first round defeat 10-9 to Allen
2012: SEMI FINAL rofl

2012 round 1: Fu playing at his absolute worst
2012 round 2: Hawkins on the way down, Stevens a better player
2012 quarter-final: Day takes the lead then gets a migraine and loses session 8-0

Say what you want, but there is no way Matthew Stevens should be in a World Championship semi-final at this stage of his career! But good luck to him over the next 3 days, he's going to need it.

I think it's fair to say that he won't be in a World Championship final come Sunday.

Postby kostasmad

I disagree Sonny.

Why it has to do with his opponents? Why has to do with the stage of his career?

Based on form, Lee should have been in the semis, based on Career Stage as you say, Trump or Ding should have gotten the title at their home by now. You just play the game and you just have to be much or slightly better than your opponents.

If Ronnie does a Selby/Day/Fu/Murphy/Higgins as we saw them this year (0,00001% chance), it would mean that Matthew does not deserve to be on the final?

His 2nd session against Hawkins when he was 5-3 behind (3 centuries and 2 80+) was the best I saw anyone play (after Ronnie of course). He deserves his semi spot..