Topic locked

Re: World Championship (Thurs 3rd of May) S Final Disscusion

Postby Muppet147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I don't know what Carter is trying to do here. He refuses dozens of long pots and waits for easy chances. He's not gonna win the match this way.

He has employed the same 'dull as ditch water' tactics in all his matches so far, so there is no need for him to change things now. Hopefully he will get his comeuppance.

Postby vodkadiet

Muppet147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:I don't know what Carter is trying to do here. He refuses dozens of long pots and waits for easy chances. He's not gonna win the match this way.

He has employed the same 'dull as ditch water' tactics in all his matches so far, so there is no need for him to change things now. Hopefully he will get his comeuppance.

Probably in the final against O'Sullivan.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:5-3 Carter. Amazing swerve shot on the long red

Yeah... scrapping his way through that match... has a slender lead of 5-3.. but still a long way to go, but nice start

Mags getting very frustrated towards the end... must start well in the 2nd session, because we all know he's terrible from in behind in a match and often loses interest

Postby PLtheRef

Muppet147 wrote:O'Sullivan will be licking his lips, with the prospect of Carter in the final. I think Davis's 18-3 record final win would be in danger.

Dont be stupid

But I've got tickets for Monday afternoon and I'd be very pleased to see the trophy lifted in that session :-D

Postby SnookerFan

If this is going to be another Ronnie vs Ali Carter final, I'm glad I didn't get tickets. The first time I went to a Crucible final, it was those two and it was one-sided and dull. I considered putting a bet on that Ronnie would win the final whilst losing less frames than he did in the final against Dott. :roll:

Postby SnookerFan

Muppet147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Simplefan

why arent you returning my calls? :limp2:

:huh:

He has made numerous posts to you, all of which you have apparently ignored. Also, you shunned him at the Crucible. :-)

Oh is it? I may well have walked past him obliviously at The Crucible, knowing me. rofl I'll buy him a drink if I see him next time. :limp:

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:A Maguire - Ronnie final would be much more exciting than Ronnie - Carter but I wouldn't mind the latter because Stephen would have a better chance of spoiling things in the final.

Yeah Mags could spoil things for Ronnie... even though he has a dredful record against Ronnie, that win in China may give Mags some confidence when he faces Ronnie that he is capable of beating him. I know it was a totally diferent format, but still if Mags faces Ronnie it could be a very close match and indeed a good one.

Although like you said I would prefer Carter so that Ronnie would get a safer passage.

Postby Muppet147

Skullman wrote:Am back. How did Maguire and Carter play? Surprised Carter is ahead and hope he doesn't win as that will make the final a cakewalk for Ronnie. Unless Stevens wins ( rofl ) then I don't mind.

They both started off poorly, missing a lot of easy pots. Carter stuck to his dull tactics and refused to take on any difficult shots. Maguire was getting very frustrated. 4-4 would have probably been a fairer scoreline.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Am back. How did Maguire and Carter play? Surprised Carter is ahead and hope he doesn't win as that will make the final a cakewalk for Ronnie. Unless Stevens wins ( rofl ) then I don't mind.

Both players werent at the races.. lots of safety and scrappy play.. the highlight a break of 80 odd from both Ali and Mags.
Mags found himself 3-2 down, his highest break 20, but then leveled at 3 all with that 80 odd break.

Carter then won the last two, but he was clearly playing very tactically, refused lots of long pots and played the percentages. Mags got very frustrated towards the end, banging his cue on the table and on his head several times, as you would expect from him.

A dull session the way I see it.

Postby Andre147

And there was a very important frame in the match (think it was the 5th, not sure) when both players were level at 2 all... then at the end of the frame, Carter potted the final blue to leave Mags needing a snooker, but missed the pink. Mags played a superb safety to go all around the table to get a snooker behind the black. Carter missed the pink, and then after 2 or 3 more shots, Carter played a safety which led the white going in off.

Mags then had a clear chance, ball in hand, with pink on the baulk end, just had to pot it and get position on black... potted it but didnt get good position <doh> missed the black and then Ali pottted it.

Mags then won the frame after I think, but he really should have snatched that one

Postby PLtheRef

I think that Stevens is someone who is capable of beating Ronnie if O'Sullivan is off colour, take 2006 when Dott beat Ronnie 17-11 in the Semis. However, Ronnie is also very capable of running away with the Semi-Final if he gets into his stride. In this three previous semi-final wins, Ronnie has never been troubled, the closest he's ever been extended is 17-11 and the last two semis he's won 17-4 and 17-6.

If Ronnie can forge a 6-2 or 7-1 lead tonight then a Saturday morning finish could be a formality.

Postby Andre147

PLtheRef wrote:I think that Stevens is someone who is capable of beating Ronnie if O'Sullivan is off colour, take 2006 when Dott beat Ronnie 17-11 in the Semis. However, Ronnie is also very capable of running away with the Semi-Final if he gets into his stride. In this three previous semi-final wins, Ronnie has never been troubled, the closest he's ever been extended is 17-11 and the last two semis he's won 17-4 and 17-6.

If Ronnie can forge a 6-2 or 7-1 lead tonight then a Saturday morning finish could be a formality.

Agree, and If Matthew like you said starts well.. we could see a close finish.. I think he definately has to start the match well.. put pressure on Ronnie as if saying to him: I'm here to win, not just to get beat by a guy who has got the better of me since 2003...

That's right, Stevens, like Williams too, hasnt beaten Ronnie in a ranking event (indeed any event I think) for 9 years.. If Matthew starts on a roll, he is similar to Ronnie in that he is also very hard to stop... but if Stevens has to play catch up all the time during the match, then Ronnie will definately run away with it. that being said, this tournamnet he has played his best snooker when behind, but that wasnt against Ronnie, and matthew wont get as many chances has he had against Ronnie here