Topic locked

World Championship (Mon 30th of April) Last 16 Disscusion !!

Postby Wildey

Saturday 21st of April- Monday 7th of May at the Crucible Theatre,Sheffield

Monday 30th of April

1pm

Ali Carter 7-9 Judd Trump
Matthew Stevens 8-8 Barry Hawkins

7pm

Jamie Jones 10-6 Andrew Higginson
Mark Williams 5-11 Ronnie O'Sullivan

on this date in 2003 the Late Paul Hunter Reached his only Crucible Semi Final

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Image Image

Re: World Championship (Mon 30th of April) Last 16 Disscusio

Postby Skullman

Andre147 wrote:"on this date in 2003 the Late Paul Hunter Reached his only Crucible Semi Final"

RIP PAUL.

Before my time, but by all accounts a brilliant player. Seen his Masters final against Ronnie. Really sad what happened.

Postby vodkadiet

Observations on today's matches.

O'Sullivan has already won his match. Williams can retire forever.

Trump should win from 9-7, but there is an element of doubt.

Jones may be 10-6 ahead but that isn't over yet. His inexperience could play a part if Higginson plays well and exerts pressure.

Stevens has been by far the better player against Hawkins but if it goes tight Stevens may bottle it. He has previous. Having said that Hawkins isn't the greatest under pressure either. It would be better for the event if Stevens made the semis, which probably means he will lose.

I would like a day when we don't hear about how O'Sullivan is playing snooker that has never, ever, been seen before, the usual golf comments from Taylor, the £200 quotes for a century, and The Paul Hunter Foundation has been plugged to death.

Terry Griffiths streets ahead in the commentary box. Taylor streets behind.

:|

Postby The Cueist

buck me,I have agreed with you on nearly every thing you have said,Dennis Taylor is past it and irrelevant these days.Why the hell they dropped clive everton for ken doherty i dont know.

Doherty is hard to make out at times and looks and sounds uncomfortable in my humble opinion.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:Observations on today's matches.

Jones may be 10-6 ahead but that isn't over yet. His inexperience could play a part if Higginson plays well and exerts pressure.

Stevens has been by far the better player against Hawkins but if it goes tight Stevens may bottle it. He has previous. Having said that Hawkins isn't the greatest under pressure either. It would be better for the event if Stevens made the semis, which probably means he will lose.

I would like a day when we don't hear about how O'Sullivan is playing snooker that has never, ever, been seen before, the usual golf comments from Taylor, the £200 quotes for a century, and The Paul Hunter Foundation has been plugged to death.

Agree with everything you said there, except the fact regarding Ronnie, because yes there is no need to keep saying Ronnie is playing as well as he has for some time and all that donkey doo talk, but we have to give credit to a player when it is due, and Ronnie today played marvelous snooker. Williams had chances and couldnt convert them, and also if Ronnie was playing Robbo for instance wouldnt have had that many chances, but the thing is when he had them he took them very well, making 2 tons, could have been 4 had he not run out of position.

If it was another player playing like that against Williams or any other for that matter I would also give him praise, like I did when Robbo had that amazing first session against Doherty and Gilbert, Hendry's 147 session, and Day's final frames against Ding and against Yupeng.

Dennis Specs Taylor annoying all the time :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Postby Andre147

The Cueist wrote:little kitten me,I have agreed with you on nearly every thing you have said,Dennis Taylor is past it and irrelevant these days.Why the hell they dropped clive everton for ken doherty i dont know.

Doherty is hard to make out at times and looks and sounds uncomfortable in my humble opinion.

Agree, Doherty isn't fit for commentary... Miss the days when Clive was there....

Postby vodkadiet

The Cueist wrote:little kitten me,I have agreed with you on nearly every thing you have said,Dennis Taylor is past it and irrelevant these days.Why the hell they dropped clive everton for ken doherty i dont know.

Everton is a class commentator but is out of favour, politics and all that. Parrott has overstayed his welcome. H eis actually the kiss of death for O'Sullivan. The amount of times he has said O'Sullivan is unplayable over the years, and then loses the next round is uncanny.

Doherty is a total drain.

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 wrote:

Agree, Doherty isn't fit for commentary... Miss the days when Clive was there....

It is a shame they couldn't get Cliff Thoburn in the box for a few days. Him and Griffiths would be a great combo, like they were playing each other on the table!

:-D

Postby hendry_fan

"I would like a day when we don't hear about how O'Sullivan is playing snooker that has never, ever, been seen before"

Absolutely vodkadiet,even though there,s a certain man who,s still around still playing good to an even high standard of snooker even after all these years,they often seem to forget about him,how amazing he played!!.His name is STEPHEN HENDRY.

Anyone who was lucky enough to witness how this very man played in his prime knows full well that he has also played,shown us some snooker that has never,ever seen before,not only that but he did it amazingly consistently for many,many,many,many years!!!!.

Hendry never gets the deserved credit he should.

Not just Hendry,but Steve Davis,John Higgins even Mark Williams has shown us absolute out of this world snooker over the years not to mention a good few others.

I,m certainly not takin anything away from Ronnie,of course he has and still does show us some amazing snooker but the way some commentators ramble on about him its as if all the other players are just normal,nothin special at all and have never shown us breathtaking sessions.

You should of heard McManus yesterday,he almost wet himself when he rambled on about Ronnie as if he was the best thing since Heinz beans were sold in cans <doh> and that <only> Ronnie is "untouchable" when he,s on song!,
Aye right Alan,may i remind you that there,s many other players which have been,who are untouchable when there on song! :fart:

You should get back to the practice table Alan instead of gibbering a load of hyped beans in the commentary box!!. :dizzy: :td:

Postby SnookerFan

Not heard much of McManus. They had Eurosport on in the hotel bar I was in the first weekend, and did seem a tad annoying.

But to be fair to him, he's not the only one. Dennis Taylor was licking Ronnie's bottom on Sunday afternoon when he was talking about him. And Virgo might as well just admit he wants to be Ronnie's dad.

They are going the same way with Trump now. There's no such thing as naughty snooker, and it's not a funny term. Get over it. :roll:

Postby Rocket_ron

SnookerFan wrote:Not heard much of McManus. They had Eurosport on in the hotel bar I was in the first weekend, and did seem a tad annoying.

But to be fair to him, he's not the only one. Dennis Taylor was licking Ronnie's bottom on Sunday afternoon when he was talking about him. And Virgo might as well just admit he wants to be Ronnie's dad.

They are going the same way with Trump now. There's no such thing as naughty snooker, and it's not a funny term. Get over it. :roll:

I agree

Postby vodkadiet

hendry fan

I agree that O'Sullivan can play a dazzling few frames, but that is generally when he is playing someone who he knows he can bully,when he is already in front, and playing without pressure.

O'Sullivan's problem is when an opponent challenges him, doesn't play the game he wants, and beats him mentally.

The reason Hendry is the greatest ever is because when he was at his prime, he was consistently as good as O'Sullivan was yesterday, and produced the goods when his back was to the wall, under the most extreme pressure.

I expect Robertson to stand up and be counted, unlike the lame Welshman.

Postby snooky147

SnookerFan wrote:Also, can they stop showing me Judd Trump's family? We get it. They are there. We don't need to be shown every time Judd makes a pot.

Absolutely agree with that. They are not bloody royalty ffs.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

SnookerFan wrote:Not heard much of McManus. They had Eurosport on in the hotel bar I was in the first weekend, and did seem a tad annoying.

All commentators love Ronnie. Maybe you shouldn't ask why they do but why you don't.

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:All commentators love Ronnie. Maybe you shouldn't ask why they do but why you don't.

I know why I don't like him, and I know why the commentators do. What point are you trying to make?

What I'm saying is that I'd prefer they didn't act like fanboys all the time, Ronnie and Judd aren't the only two players.

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:hendry fan

I agree that O'Sullivan can play a dazzling few frames, but that is generally when he is playing someone who he knows he can bully,when he is already in front, and playing without pressure.

O'Sullivan's problem is when an opponent challenges him, doesn't play the game he wants, and beats him mentally.

The reason Hendry is the greatest ever is because when he was at his prime, he was consistently as good as O'Sullivan was yesterday, and produced the goods when his back was to the wall, under the most extreme pressure.

I expect Robertson to stand up and be counted, unlike the lame Welshman.

rofl rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:I agree entirely, it's not their fault the BBC keep wanting to show them but it is well over the top.

Exactly. I'm sure Judd's family are great, and are completely devoted to him and all. Nothing against them. And fair enough, when you get to the final, they tend to show the reaction of the player's family watching. But we do seem to see a disproportionate amount of them compared to anybody else's family.

The way the BBC act, I'm surprised the Red Button doesn't have a Watch Judd's Dad option.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 30 Apr 2012, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Casey

Trump will win 13 -9

Stevens will win 13 - 11 - Hawkins will come up just a bit short.

Jones will miss a few but win 13 - 10 - Higginson will feel this was his chance let slip

Ronnie will win - 13-7. I expect Ronnie to be a bit flat considering he knows the match is already won.

Postby SnookerFan

I am going to paraphrase you, and give my guesses. Which will as usual, be entirely wrong.

Trump will win 13 -11

Hawkins will win 13 - 11 - Stevens will come up just a bit short.

Jones will miss a few but win 13 - 10 - Higginson will feel this was his chance let slip = Agreed.

Ronnie will win - 13-7. I expect Ronnie to be a bit flat considering he knows the match is already won. But not as flat as Mark Williams, who will leave the arena with went pants after seeing Ronnie.

Postby daraghj82

hendry_fan wrote:

spot on hendry fan, its the same as in previous years where if ronnie is on form he keeps getting talked about , in fairness to ronnie he has been in very good form. its amazing how easily he seems to beat mjw so often in the last 10 years, and he was comfortably beaten him in their recent crucible meetings as well.

ronnie yesterday was no different to spephen in his prime in termsr of playing brilliant, one visit snooker and racking up big breaks. similar to taylor in darts where the commentators go into overdrive regarding ronnie

"I would like a day when we don't hear about how O'Sullivan is playing snooker that has never, ever, been seen before"

Absolutely vodkadiet,even though there,s a certain man who,s still around still playing good to an even high standard of snooker even after all these years,they often seem to forget about him,how amazing he played!!.His name is STEPHEN HENDRY.

Anyone who was lucky enough to witness how this very man played in his prime knows full well that he has also played,shown us some snooker that has never,ever seen before,not only that but he did it amazingly consistently for many,many,many,many years!!!!.

Hendry never gets the deserved credit he should.

Not just Hendry,but Steve Davis,John Higgins even Mark Williams has shown us absolute out of this world snooker over the years not to mention a good few others.

I,m certainly not takin anything away from Ronnie,of course he has and still does show us some amazing snooker but the way some commentators ramble on about him its as if all the other players are just normal,nothin special at all and have never shown us breathtaking sessions.

You should of heard McManus yesterday,he almost wet himself when he rambled on about Ronnie as if he was the best thing since Heinz beans were sold in cans <doh> and that <only> Ronnie is "untouchable" when he,s on song!,
Aye right Alan,may i remind you that there,s many other players which have been,who are untouchable when there on song! :fart:

You should get back to the practice table Alan instead of gibbering a load of hyped beans in the commentary box!!. :dizzy: :td:

Postby daraghj82

Casey wrote:Trump will win 13 -9

Stevens will win 13 - 11 - Hawkins will come up just a bit short.

Jones will miss a few but win 13 - 10 - Higginson will feel this was his chance let slip

Ronnie will win - 13-7. I expect Ronnie to be a bit flat considering he knows the match is already won.

the stephens hawkins match will go down to the wire, i really enjoyed watching that game last night. ronnie could have won that match yesterday 13-3, it looked that way when he went to 9-3