Topic locked

Re: World Championship (Thurs 26th of April) Rnd 1&2 Disscus

Postby daraghj82

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote: Ali Carter 10-2 Mark Davis
Dave Gilbert 3-2 Neil Robertson

The comeback is on! :D

its good that dave is playing well and putting it up to robbo. however i still see robbo getting through to a QF game against either mjw or ronnie

Postby SnookerFan

daraghj82 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

its good that dave is playing well and putting it up to robbo. however i still see robbo getting through to a QF game against either mjw or ronnie

Got to be Ronnie, hasn't it? I can't see Ronnie getting beat by Mark.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
daraghj82 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Got to be Ronnie, hasn't it? I can't see Ronnie getting beat by Mark.

But the way this tournament has gone so far... you never know... MJW may get his first win against Ronnie in 10 years....

Not counting two stupid CL matches of course.. rofl :chuckle: rofl

Postby daraghj82

Sonny wrote:MJW is well up for beating Ronnie

can't believe its that long in mjw beating ronnie. anyway i can see that jinx continuing for mjw if he meets ronnie in R2. robbo and selby seem to be bogey players for ronnie

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:Good jinx attempt

As a Mark Williams fan I'd love it if I'd jinxed Ronnie, I really can't see it happening. It's been too long now, and Mark always seems to choke against him.

The way things are going though this week, you just don't know. The Crucible Gods have been demanding that big names be sacrificed this week.

Postby Andre147

daraghj82 wrote:

can't believe its that long in mjw beating ronnie. anyway i can see that jinx continuing for mjw if he meets ronnie in R2. robbo and selby seem to be bogey players for ronnie

Selby more than Robbo without doubt... if Ronnie were to face robbo.. well.. they have a pretty even record.. the problem for Ronnie when he plays Robbo is that Ronnie often leaves chances for long ones, and Robbo usually gets them, so sometimes Ronnie gets beaten because of that..

when playing Robbo, ronnie has to be spot on on his safety department, otherwise Robbo will start knocking those cracking long balls in and usually dishes up from there...

Postby daraghj82

Andre147 wrote:
daraghj82 wrote:

Selby more than Robbo without doubt... if Ronnie were to face robbo.. well.. they have a pretty even record.. the problem for Ronnie when he plays Robbo is that Ronnie often leaves chances for long ones, and Robbo usually gets them, so sometimes Ronnie gets beaten because of that..

when playing Robbo, ronnie has to be spot on on his safety department, otherwise Robbo will start knocking those cracking long balls in and usually dishes up from there...

yeah, they're always good games when robbie and ronnie meet. didn't see any of mjw game but i wouldn't rule out liu chuang just yet. i'd expect mjw to win but i wouldn't care to put money on it

Postby Andre147

After being 3-1 down, Robbo plays 4 Perfect frames of snooker...

AMAZING.... :D :D :D :D :D :happy: :happy: :happy: TOP QUALITY SNOOKER... 2 centuries, including an amazing 131 break.. almost 3 centuries it could have been...

Dave almost never had a shot after the MSI... although he did have a chance to level at 4 all, but couldn't make it...

amazing session of snooker there from robbo.. if he carries on like that, the title is in the bag

Postby daraghj82

Andre147 wrote:After being 3-1 down, Robbo plays 4 Perfect frames of snooker...

AMAZING.... :D :D :D :D :D :happy: :happy: :happy: TOP QUALITY SNOOKER... 2 centuries, including an amazing 131 break.. almost 3 centuries it could have been...

Dave almost never had a shot after the MSI... although he did have a chance to level at 4 all, but couldn't make it...

amazing session of snooker there from robbo.. if he carries on like that, the title is in the bag

thanks for the update there on robbo andre lol

Postby nice_shoes_ken

Was always going to happen that fightback by Robbo, that's a sign of a champion.

Good start from Gilbert, but in matches like this it wasn't going to last long, as proven with Robbo winning the four frames after the mid session interval.

Roll on tonight, Maguire v Perry will be interesting possible shock in that one, but im hoping Mags can keep his good form going.

Postby Smart

nice_shoes_ken wrote:Was always going to happen that fightback by Robbo, that's a sign of a champion.

Good start from Gilbert, but in matches like this it wasn't going to last long, as proven with Robbo winning the four frames after the mid session interval.

Roll on tonight, Maguire v Perry will be interesting possible shock in that one, but im hoping Mags can keep his good form going.

2008 re-match, that was the year that Perry reached the semis, and was from memory winning a lot of frames from 50 or 60 down. <ok>

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Robbo won all 4 frames after the midsession interval. He is the form player of the tournament so far but he wasn't tested properly yet. Doherty arguably was the easiest draw available and Gilbert also isn't a bad opponent for a place in quarters.

I don't really want to talk about a Ronnie - Robbo quarter (yet) because a lot can happen and there is no guarantee that they will play each other. However it's pretty obvious that the winner of that quarter will make the final and will the favourite in a world final whoever they play.

Postby PLtheRef

5-3 isn't really any sort of lead though in a best of 25 frame match, if he can build on it, perhaps get to the final session with a 1o-6 advantage then that is really a commanding lead. - 9-7 is no different from 5-3 in a best of 17 so Neil's main aim would be to build.

I wouldn't rule out 11-5 either, Neil does have experience of winning 25 frame matches, David doesn't

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:i think John will have to play his best match of the season to win that match and we know how capable he is to turn it on and playing Stephen at the crucible might bring it on.

A lot of people make Higgins favourite for this match, I don't. He obviously is on paper but this is usually the stage he loses to someone you wouldn't expect him to beat. The last time he tried to defend his world title he lost to Ryan Day and Steve Davis in the last 16. Higgins is in awful form and should have lost in the first round and Hendry will be so up for this one. Stephen is always very hard to beat at the Crucible and especially this year because that maximum gave him a huge boost.

I predict a dramatic Hendry victory.

Postby hendry_fan

Hallo all,i hope your all havin fun here and enjoyin the snooker!. <ok>

Boy,have i missed out on some of the fun here on SNOOKER ISLAND!.
1 day before the Worlds started,ie,last friday night my computer decided to break down!!!!,i only bought the piece of junk just over 2 years ago!. <doh>

As it would have taken 2 weeks for it to be repaired,i decided to throw it away and buy a new one!.

Not havin a computer is an absolute nightmare!!. :grrr: :grrr:

Postby Andre147

hendry_fan wrote:Hallo all,i hope your all havin fun here and enjoyin the snooker!. <ok>

Boy,have i missed out on some of the fun here on SNOOKER ISLAND!.
1 day before the Worlds started,ie,last friday night my computer decided to break down!!!!,i only bought the piece of junk just over 2 years ago!. <doh>

As it would have taken 2 weeks for it to be repaired,i decided to throw it away and buy a new one!.

Not havin a computer is an absolute nightmare!!. :grrr: :grrr:

yeah i know what you mean..

Enjoying your snooker I see.. me too.. this first session in the Robbo match was just awesome as JP said... after the MSI, neil played like he did in 2010 Worlds. just amazing..

Which matches are you most looking forward to then? One I know so won't even ask :john:

You think hendry can upset Higgins much like Davis did it 2 years ago?

Postby PLtheRef

Stephen's probably got the best chance he may get for the rest of his career to have a real run at the Crucible. John didn't play too well in his first round match, and has not got beyond the second round as a champion since his 1999 defence. Murphy was the last champion to reach the quarter-finals in his defence.

Hendry though will need to get ahead early, ideally a 6-2 lead over Higgins because Hendry can play like marmite now, and in 2010 was pulled away from so easily when he lost 13-5 to Selby.

Postby hendry_fan

Ali Carter 10-2 Mark Davis

Well done to Carter,fantastic performance after whats he,s been through lately!.

I watches a couple of frames of this match,it has to be said though,that Davis was well off song!!.

Joe Perry v Stephen Maguire

Come on Maguire,good chance to collect some more valuable rankin points and commence to the 1/4 finals.

Perry did,nt half demolish Dott,i did,nt see all of the match but the few frames i did see,i,ve never ever seen Dott play so bad,in fact it was the worst i,ve ever seen a proffessional play for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time.It was drivvel of the highest quality,it really has to be said!.

Dott more or less said the same,..."I played terrible, I don't think I've played worse, not just at the Crucible but as a professional," said the 2006 World Champion who also reached the final here in 2004 and 2010. "I just couldn't pot a ball. :emb:

Dotts performance will take some beatin,there,s no way Maguire is gonna play that bad!. :-)

Postby Smart

PLtheRef wrote:Stephen's probably got the best chance he may get for the rest of his career to have a real run at the Crucible. John didn't play too well in his first round match, and has not got beyond the second round as a champion since his 1999 defence. Murphy was the last champion to reach the quarter-finals in his defence.

Hendry though will need to get ahead early, ideally a 6-2 lead over Higgins because Hendry can play like marmite now, and in 2010 was pulled away from so easily when he lost 13-5 to Selby.

2 things:

I cant see Higgo play as bad 2 games running. :|

I cant see Hendo play as good 2 games running. :|

It just cant happen. :|

Higgins win. (Shame they both cant lose in all honesty). :|

Postby Andre147

Smart wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:Stephen's probably got the best chance he may get for the rest of his career to have a real run at the Crucible. John didn't play too well in his first round match, and has not got beyond the second round as a champion since his 1999 defence. Murphy was the last champion to reach the quarter-finals in his defence.

2 things:

I cant see Higgo play as bad 2 games running. :|

I cant see Hendo play as good 2 games running. :|

It just cant happen. :|

Higgins win. (Shame they both cant lose in all honesty). :|

rofl rofl rofl

It will be a great match whatever happens I think... Can't see a player running away with it, so it could be close... Unless Hendry is really bad like he has shown from time to time when he plays great in one match or session, and then crap in the next....

We'll just have to wait and see when the match starts tomorrow morning

Postby hendry_fan

"You think hendry can upset Higgins much like Davis did it 2 years ago?"

Hallo Andre147. :-)

After seeing Hendrys performance against Bingham i think he has a good chance indeed,if he can produce that kind of form tomorrow,we,ll just have to wait n see.
Higgins form has plunged for a good while now and if he plays against Hendry like he,s been doin lately,then Hendry certainly has a chance!.

The only other matches i,m lookin forward to is just the one match so far tbh and thats,....

,...."The Crucible Basher",Mark Williams v Pumpkin Ronnie. ;-)