Topic locked

Re: World Championship (Thurs 26th of April) Rnd 1&2 Disscus

Postby Skullman

Decided to review the last 16 matches. Would've done it yesterday but really wasn't in the mood.

Higgins vs Hendry: About time these two met. Most people are expecting Hendry to come through as John has been poor all season and has lost in his second round in twice as defending champion. However, Hendry's level has dropped since that first session and Higgins has a lot more manoeuvering room in three sessions. Hendry ahs to maintain his level throughtout the entire the match as Higgins can stay in touch and then have one good session and win.

Maguire vs Perry: Even with all the seeds going out, Maguire is not one I see losing. Perry was poor, and will up his game but so will Mags. Perry beat Maguire in 2008, but Maguire admitted he took his eye off the ball there and I don't think he'll do it here.

Higginson vs Jones: Bet no one was predicting this last week <laugh> I think it will be clsoe and although Higginson is far ahead in the H2H, Higginson has been known to bottle occasionally and the realisation that he could in a world quarter final may get to him. Jones has improved a lot and has much better bottle in my opinion and has a good set of results in the tournament so far, coming form 7-9 down to beat Hicks, 10-2 over Walden and 10-8 over Murphy.

Carter vs Trump: Ali was much better than he has been, but I doubt anyone's giving him a chance against Trump, unless he's stupid enough to get food poioining again. I would like Ali to win, more because I like Ali than I dislike Judd, but I'm not going to be stupid enough to go for him to win.

Williams vs O'Sullivan: MJW has win once right? *Fingers crossed* If Chendry does go through, I don't see him beating Ronnie. Ronnie won't lose to a qualifier in three session match if he's trying.

Robertson vs Gilbert: OK this has already started, but school, what're ya gonna do?

Can't see it being that close, as Robbo's in great form, plays better safeties and has just gone from 1-3 to 5-3. Not sure how Dave'll take that.

Day vs Yupeng: I don't like Day tbh and Yupeng has upped his game so far. If he plays like he did against Mark Allen it'll be close. Hope Yupeng wins, but I'll just sit and back see what happens.

Stevens vs Hawkins: Neither of these players were really tested, although Selby tried to fight hard, but wasn't good enoughon the day(s). Think it'll either be close in Barry's favour or Stevens will have a fairly comfortable victory.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

hendry_fan wrote:The only other matches i,m lookin forward to is just the one match so far tbh and thats,....

,...."The Crucible Basher",Mark Williams v Pumpkin Ronnie. ;-)

Williams doesn't like the Crucible but don't worry Mark, your good old friend Ronnie will make sure you don't have to play there after next Monday.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:The only other matches i,m lookin forward to is just the one match so far tbh and thats,....

,...."The Crucible Basher",Mark Williams v Pumpkin Ronnie. ;-)

Williams doesn't like the Crucible but don't worry Mark, your good old friend Ronnie will make sure you don't have to play there after next Monday.

rofl rofl rofl

Quite right.. quite right... :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Postby Sickpotter

Smart wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:Stephen's probably got the best chance he may get for the rest of his career to have a real run at the Crucible. John didn't play too well in his first round match, and has not got beyond the second round as a champion since his 1999 defence. Murphy was the last champion to reach the quarter-finals in his defence.

Hendry though will need to get ahead early, ideally a 6-2 lead over Higgins because Hendry can play like marmite now, and in 2010 was pulled away from so easily when he lost 13-5 to Selby.

2 things:

I cant see Higgo play as bad 2 games running. :|

I cant see Hendo play as good 2 games running. :|

It just cant happen. :|

Higgins win. (Shame they both cant lose in all honesty). :|

Shame you can't show some respect for the greats of the game :sad:

Postby Smart

Sickpotter wrote:
Smart wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:Stephen's probably got the best chance he may get for the rest of his career to have a real run at the Crucible. John didn't play too well in his first round match, and has not got beyond the second round as a champion since his 1999 defence. Murphy was the last champion to reach the quarter-finals in his defence.

Hendry though will need to get ahead early, ideally a 6-2 lead over Higgins because Hendry can play like marmite now, and in 2010 was pulled away from so easily when he lost 13-5 to Selby.

2 things:

I cant see Higgo play as bad 2 games running. :|

I cant see Hendo play as good 2 games running. :|

It just cant happen. :|

Higgins win. (Shame they both cant lose in all honesty). :|

Shame you can't show some respect for the greats of the game :sad:

:|
Image :|

Postby Casey

onlyevertonjon wrote:Im confused. Doesnt the defending champion play in this spot on the first table on the thursday night?

First time, in a long time jon :hatoff:

I think the defending champion always played first thing on the Friday.

Postby Wildey

onlyevertonjon wrote:Im confused. Doesnt the defending champion play in this spot on the first table on the thursday night?

Last year Judd Trump who beat the defending champ did infact play in this slot and in 2010 John Higgins as Defending Champion started against Steve Davis.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Thrid ton in a row. One more and it matches the German Masters final.

Indeed... brilliant start :D :D :D

Meanwhile... Williams 9-3 up... le'ts see if Mark can take this one and avoid going to the MSI

Postby onlyevertonjon

Wild wrote:

Last year Judd Trump who beat the defending champ did infact play in this slot and in 2010 John Higgins as Defending Champion started against Steve Davis.

Ronnie did in 2009 too and I'm convinced Day/Higgins 2008 and Perry/Williams did in 2004. Canr quite remember any others.