Topic locked

Re: World Championship (Wed 25th of April) Round 1 Disscussi

Postby daraghj82

snooky147 wrote:Obviously. Gutted for graeme. Made all the more puzzling that i attended 2 of his practice sessions in which he literally never missed a ball. I had rarely seen him hit the ball better. Just goes to show what a strange game of the mind that snooker is.
Sighs.

couldnt believe that result either, graeme said he never played as bad in about 17 years

Re: World Championship (Thurs 26th of April) Rnd 1&2 Disscus

Postby Andre147

So... carter v Davis... ali 8-1 in front... just a question of if there will be a MSI...

And Robbo v Gilbert... excited about that one :D :D :D hope Dave plays well and gives Robbo a match, as I don't want Neil to simply run away with it.

Bring it on..

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:So... carter v Davis... ali 8-1 in front... just a question of if there will be a MSI...

And Robbo v Gilbert... excited about that one :D :D :D hope Dave plays well and gives Robbo a match, as I don't want Neil to simply run away with it.

Bring it on..

Or as Dennis Taylor would say; "Will Carter win with a session to spare?"

Postby daraghj82

freakmoomin wrote:cant wait for hendo - higgins! how many frames are in the first session? ive got a wedding to go to.....but need to stall as long as poss to AT LEAST get the first sess in!

ive absolutly love it for hendo to go on a proper run here! if he plays like he did first sess in first round then i see no reason why he cant......although he will prob revert back to hendry of last few years :(

i hope stephen does play well, he needs to stay with john all the way through and hope he reproduces that form in the first session against bingham. their 1st meeting at the crucible is long overdue , i just hope it isnt an anti-climax

Postby Smart

just got back home ........WOW what a great time (despite the weather) :D

Weather: unusually cold and wet most of the week

Snooker: still can't get that Allen black out of my head. That was a brutal way to lose a snooker match. Met him next day as he was checking out and he was gracious and said he had not taken his chances and he agreed that Cao was pretty ruthless. Day's comeback win vs Ding was awesome. The only downside being that I had to literally leg it from the Crucible back to the room for a quick snack then back into the Crucible (people were queuing to get in as I was coming out of the Day match, it was that late). Enjoyed the Ronnie match. Shame that some of the matches have been no contests in effect. Pleased that we have had some shocks. <ok>

Betting: my most outlandish bet was Jones/Higginson double - smallest stake but returned over £100 on just £5 stake. Also backed Jones in play for £80 profit. The guy next to me had lumped £1000 on Murphy at the same time, and I was pretty pleased when Jones won it after blobbing that red to corner. He showed great guts to get over the line in the end. Dissappointed in Fu and Bingham they just never turned up. Did not actually back Ding for the outright tourney winner thank god. <ok>

Drinking: first night had a nice session with the Islanders plus CDLs - despite a raging headache I'd had since the afternoon. Last night I was supposed to be watching first frame of Selby/Hawks and then out to watch the footie with just a couple drinks. It did not pan out that way, as 2 fellow St Pauls residents came out to the Monk to watch the footie and plyed me with drinks all night as I'd given them my ticket on the front row. Hilarious later when we got back to the champagne bar in St Pauls, very nice place. Darren ordered a £155 bottle of DP. Gert lush champagne, then brandy and cokes. Safe to say that the drive home was not that enjoyable. :baby:

Food: Had a nice kebab from over the road one evening, it was great and did not cause any upset until during the night when it was Windy City. Also went for a Chinese round the corner following day. St Pauls breakfasts are out of this world, great selection, my favourite being the Danish pastries and the capachinos. :D

ps The pool and sauna were lush too. :clap:

Postby daraghj82

freakmoomin wrote:I think Hendry is a bit of a victim of his own success aswell to be honest. Although we all know hes been crap for about 10 years, hes still a massive name and scalp for a lot of players, so everybody is always up for playing him, he rarely gets underestimated.

but in saying that....if he just played half decent and didnt leave his opponents bang in the balls every 2nd frame he would win a lot more matches :)

if stephen developed a better b game (safety IOW) but i think he just wants to stick to natural game and style. however the one positive this season has been his been his commitment to playing all the PTCs and treating the qualifiers with respect. If he starts to enjoy out there which he appeared to do against bingham then it will help him a lot

Postby freakmoomin

It really is amazing thats its the first crucible meeting between hendry and higgins.......its like federer and nadal never meeting at wimbledon.......unthinkable!

my head says its unfortunatly 10 years too late for hendry but my heart says BRING IT ON!!!! :) although ive lost a tenner at the bookies for the last 7 years or so saying hendo will win it....so my heart is usually wrong :)

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:So... carter v Davis... ali 8-1 in front... just a question of if there will be a MSI...

Bring it on..

Or as Dennis Taylor would say; "Will Carter win with a session to spare?"

rofl rofl rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:just got back home ........WOW what a great time (despite the weather) :D

Snooker: still can't get that Allen black out of my head. That was a brutal way to lose a snooker match. Met him next day as he was checking out and he was gracious and said he had not taken his chances and he agreed that Cao was pretty ruthless. Day's comeback win vs Ding was awesome. The only downside being that I had to literally leg it from the Crucible back to the room for a quick snack then back into the Crucible (people were queuing to get in as I was coming out of the Day match, it was that late). Enjoyed the Ronnie match. Shame that some of the matches have been no contests in effect. Pleased that we have had some shocks. <ok>

Betting: my most outlandish bet was Jones/Higginson double - smallest stake but returned over £100 on just £5 stake. Also backed Jones in play for £80 profit. The guy next to me had lumped £1000 on Murphy at the same time, and I was pretty pleased when Jones won it after blobbing that red to corner. He showed great guts to get over the line in the end. Dissappointed in Fu and Bingham they just never turned up. Did not actually back Ding for the outright tourney winner thank god. <ok>

Drinking: first night had a nice session with the Islanders plus CDLs - despite a raging headache I'd had since the afternoon. Last night I was supposed to be watching first frame of Selby/Hawks and then out to watch the footie with just a couple drinks. It did not pan out that way, as 2 fellow St Pauls residents came out to the Monk to watch the footie and plyed me with drinks all night as I'd given them my ticket on the front row. Hilarious later when we got back to the champagne bar in St Pauls, very nice place. Darren ordered a £155 bottle of DP. Gert lush champagne, then brandy and cokes. Safe to say that the drive home was not that enjoyable. :baby:

Food: Had a nice kebab from over the road one evening, it was great and did not cause any upset until during the night when it was Windy City. Also went for a Chinese round the corner following day. St Pauls breakfasts are out of this world, great selection, my favourite being the Danish pastries and the capachinos. :D

Hey man, I did see you from across The Crucible on the Sunday. I didn't get to see you in the arena. I did think about coming over to see if you were in the Graduate Sunday night, but the barmaid in my hotel was a lot better looking than you. I'm sure you'll understand this decision. :-D

Postby daraghj82

freakmoomin wrote:It really is amazing thats its the first crucible meeting between hendry and higgins.......its like federer and nadal never meeting at wimbledon.......unthinkable!

my head says its unfortunatly 10 years too late for hendry but my heart says BRING IT ON!!!! :) although ive lost a tenner at the bookies for the last 7 years or so saying hendo will win it....so my heart is usually wrong :)

same here i've been waiting for the headline in the paper for stephen that says hendry the eight !!! :-)
its a shame in this era we've never had higgins and stephen in a WC final and a ronnie v stephen WC final

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
Smart wrote:just got back home ........WOW what a great time (despite the weather) :D

Hey man, I did see you from across The Crucible on the Sunday. I didn't get to see you in the arena. I did think about coming over to see if you were in the Graduate Sunday night, but the barmaid in my hotel was a lot better looking than you. I'm sure you'll understand this decision. :-D

I kept looking out for you bud, but its hard when you are watching different games and I am a bit in and out and get numb-bum syndrome rofl

Hope you had a great time mate. <ok>

Postby freakmoomin

daraghj82 wrote:same here i've been waiting for the headline in the paper for stephen that says hendry the eight !!! :-)
its a shame in this era we've never had higgins and stephen in a WC final and a ronnie v stephen WC final

Big time! Ive been a hendry fan since a wee boy watching my dad scream at the telly watching world championships in the early 90's and as much as the Hendry Jimmy thing was great.....i cant help but think snooker has been robbed a bit not having a Hendry vs Higgins final!!!

although a peak Hendry vs peak ROS would be my dream final by a million miles! Its sad that it will never happen, although ill happily settle for a Hendry the 8th victory vs Cao Yupeng :-)

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
I kept looking out for you bud, but its hard when you are watching different games and I am a bit in and out and get numb-bum syndrome rofl

I did. :D That was despite running into Sonny a couple of times.

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:OOOOOH forgot to mention.

Dancing on Ice crew were all in the St Pauls when we were there and we had photos taken with Kirk from Coronation Street and also Jennifer from Emmerdale.

I shoke Christopher Dean's hand (from Torvill and Dean). :D

:limp:

rofl I wouldn't even recognise the people off of the soap operas. I did however meet Richard Osman from Pointless. :bowdown:

Postby SnookerFan

Talking of Pointless. The website I've just looked on to remind myself what Richard from Pointless' surname was, has informed that on Saturday there is a Celebrity version on BBC 1 at 5.35pm.

It features; "Esther Rantzen, John Virgo and Edith Bowman take part in a special edition of the quiz."

Maybe they'll ask Virgo where the cueball is going.

Postby Wildey

Smart wrote:

should have done what witz was doing not bother going in to the crucible at all :-)

Postby daraghj82

freakmoomin wrote:
daraghj82 wrote:same here i've been waiting for the headline in the paper for stephen that says hendry the eight !!! :-)

Big time! Ive been a hendry fan since a wee boy watching my dad scream at the telly watching world championships in the early 90's and as much as the Hendry Jimmy thing was great.....i cant help but think snooker has been robbed a bit not having a Hendry vs Higgins final!!!

although a peak Hendry vs peak ROS would be my dream final by a million miles! Its sad that it will never happen, although ill happily settle for a Hendry the 8th victory vs Cao Yupeng :-)

Same here.

meanwhile dave has made a good start against robbo so far continuing on the good form of the qualifiers