Topic locked

Re: World Championship (Tues 24th of April) Round 1 Disscusi

Postby Alex0paul

The last time the world number one went out in round one was Ronnie O'Sullivan in 2003. Coincidently the two other former world number ones to lose in round one both lost 10-4 to Jimmy White. They were Thorburn and Hendry.

Postby nice_shoes_ken

Hawkins is a quality player, will be the biggest win of his career if he does manage to beat Selby. So glad it's a close intense battle aswell, instead of Selby running away with it, Hawkins has showed his quality to lead.

Tournament of surprises, wouldn't be surprised to see Carter and Williams bow out aswell at this rate, and Cao Yupeng lifts the trophy in just under 2 weeks.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:6-3 Hawkins. Careless is the right word. Has to really up his game tomorrow. I thought he was back to normal after his crap period between December and February.

Yes, but still a long way to go tomorrow... Selby has to start well, pot some good long balls which were being missed today by miles... and Selby is like Higgins... will never give in and will always fight right until the end..... so for me the outcome of this match is still wide open..

Postby Skullman

nice_shoes_ken wrote:Hawkins is a quality player, will be the biggest win of his career if he does manage to beat Selby. So glad it's a close intense battle aswell, instead of Selby running away with it, Hawkins has showed his quality to lead.

Tournament of surprises, wouldn't be surprised to see Carter and Williams bow out aswell at this rate, and Cao Yupeng lifts the trophy in just under 2 weeks.

Robbo/Ronnie have the title in the bag now.

Postby jojo

havent seen any of the selby match or lee losing but selby is severely hampered by a neck problem i can see him getting beat by hawkins

as long as higgins doesnt win im happy however i still tip ronnie for the title like i have done since march

Postby Andre147

And as i said before, session snooker allows players to have a bad session, but they can quickly recover in the next one and be right back into the match and win it. So selby still with every chance... has to start well though.. and hoping hawkins drops his level a bit... although Barry didn't play brilliantly himself, just took the oppurtunaty of Selby's countless mistakes today

Postby Andre147

jojo wrote:havent seen any of the selby match or lee losing but selby is severely hampered by a neck problem i can see him getting beat by hawkins

as long as higgins doesnt win im happy however i still tip ronnie for the title like i have done since march

yeah me too :D yeah you have been saying that regarding Ronnie since february or march I reckon... but still a long way to go for Ronnie, but going in the right direcion

Postby Skullman

jojo wrote:havent seen any of the selby match or lee losing but selby is severely hampered by a neck problem i can see him getting beat by hawkins

I don't think Selby had any problems with his neck as he was pretty good up to the MSI. I think he was just crap today.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:

I don't think Selby had any problems with his neck as he was pretty good up to the MSI. I think he was just crap today.

yeah he was... can recover tomorrow though

Postby randam05

Skullman wrote:
nice_shoes_ken wrote:Hawkins is a quality player, will be the biggest win of his career if he does manage to beat Selby. So glad it's a close intense battle aswell, instead of Selby running away with it, Hawkins has showed his quality to lead.

Agreed :spot on:

Postby Rocket_ron

randam05 wrote:
Skullman wrote:

Jinxing :pal:

Postby Skullman

Rocket_ron wrote:
randam05 wrote:
Skullman wrote:

Jinxing :pal:

Robbo is my second favourite player and I don't believe in jinxing.

There are a lot of qualifiers and while I don't like Ronnie, I know how good he is and that the only qualifier that had a chance of beating him was Ebdon and he got battered today.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:

I don't think they would mind seeing Selby go out against Hawkins. A shame they are set to meet each other in the quarters already. It would have been a great semi final.

Postby nice_shoes_ken

Skullman wrote:

I will agree aswell, Robertson was my favourite from the off anyway, O'Sullivan some of his safety shots and snookers were out of this world today and yesterday.

Wouldn't rule out Cao Yupeng though ;-)

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:The ranking event winners of 2011/12 left:

Mark Selby (Shanghai Master)
Judd Trump (UK Champion)
Ronnie O'Sullivan (German Master)
Ding Junhui (Welsh Open Champion)

3 already out

Stephen Lee (PTC Grand Finals)

I think I subconsciously knew he would lose so I left him out <ok> <laugh>

However now half of this seasons ranking event winners gone even before the first round is finished.