Topic locked

Re: World Championship (Sat 21st of April) Round 1 Discussio

Postby PLtheRef

The reason for a quarter-final having a back to back session is the same reason why you hardly have any double concluding sessions scheduled until you get to the end of the last 16. The idea is that if you scheduled the same two quarter-finals to play together then you run the risk of making the final two sessions redundant - if players win 13-3 or 13-2 for example - then you make the final session for that evening redundant. If you arrange that one table plays out their quarter-final on the Weds afternoon and evening then you eliminate that as of course the worst someone can be is 8-0. Also it's not like players are used to it, all the finals play out 17/19 frame matches in successive sessions.

That said I do take a rather dim view of them jiggiling around with the schedule to 'make' Ronnie on afternoon duty. What's going to happen in 2013 should he win? Does he become an exception to the rule of champion lifts the curtain.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:This time it's deliberate, they didn't release the schedule till they knew the top 16 and then surprise surprise Ronnie is on during the weekday afternoon. They obviously use him to sell tickets in sessions they would otherwise not sell as quickly. I don't like it, what if he prefers evening sessions? It's not fair on him in that regard.

It may also have something to do with BBC as they only show the afternoon matches - not the evening ones - on those days and they surely want to maximize their audience. The "red button" - that is due to disappear anyway it seems - and the site streaming are available only to UK residents. I don't know if Ronnie prefers to play in afternoons or evenings (*) but I'm certain he's had no say whatsoever in the matter.

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:The reason for a quarter-final having a back to back session is the same reason why you hardly have any double concluding sessions scheduled until you get to the end of the last 16. The idea is that if you scheduled the same two quarter-finals to play together then you run the risk of making the final two sessions redundant - if players win 13-3 or 13-2 for example - then you make the final session for that evening redundant. If you arrange that one table plays out their quarter-final on the Weds afternoon and evening then you eliminate that as of course the worst someone can be is 8-0. Also it's not like players are used to it, all the finals play out 17/19 frame matches in successive sessions.

That said I do take a rather dim view of them jiggiling around with the schedule to 'make' Ronnie on afternoon duty. What's going to happen in 2013 should he win? Does he become an exception to the rule of champion lifts the curtain.

i take a very dim view of all this Ronnie bullocks anyway Snooker Dont revolve around his pathetic Whims.

also regarding Sessions

we are in Danger of having very little played Next Monday

Monday 30th of April

1pm

# Ali Carter/Mark Davis v Judd Trump/Dominic Dale
# Matthew Stevens/Marco Fu v Mark Selby/Barry Hawkins

7pm

# Shaun Murphy/Jamie Jones v Stephen Lee/Andrew Higginson
# Mark Williams/Liu Chuang v Ronnie O'Sullivan/Peter Ebdon

all 4 Matches playing their concluding sessions

Postby Wildey

kostasmad wrote:WC is not the same without GJ...

he knows where we are hes not banned and hes welcomed its a enforced absence as is witz as some sort of suport to Bourne because he feels unfairly judged.

well bullocks to him he got what the little pin end deserved.

Postby Smart

Wild wrote:
kostasmad wrote:WC is not the same without GJ...

he knows where we are hes not banned and hes welcomed its a enforced absence as is witz as some sort of suport to Bourne because he feels unfairly judged.

well bullocks to him he got what the little pin end deserved.

<ok> <ok> <ok>