Topic locked

Re: World Championship (Sat 21st of April) Round 1 Discussio

Postby Muppet147

I will avoid most of Higgins' matches, unless it looks like he's going to get beaten. I think Trump will have a lot more experience than last year and he's certainly one of the players who can beat Higgins. But I don't think they are seeded to meet until the late stages.

Postby Skullman

kostasmad wrote:Higgins will progress with ease in the quarters no matter the opponents... After that its basically who is not gonna rubbish his pants against him...Probably only Trump...

The same Trump who lost 11-5 on the final day of last year's tourney to Higgin's B game?

Postby jojo

trump has more experience now and higgins had some horrendous run of the ball at crucial moments which helped keep him in touch

bingham or hendry await in round two with the likes of maguire dott and perry in the quarter finals

dont like that to be honest as looking at the draw higgins has more than a good chance of reaching the semis

shame

Postby Skullman

jojo wrote:trump has more experience now and higgins had some horrendous run of the ball at crucial moments which helped keep him in touch

bingham or hendry await in round two with the likes of maguire dott and perry in the quarter finals

dont like that to be honest as looking at the draw higgins has more than a good chance of reaching the semis

shame

I have a sneaky feeling that Maguire will do better than you suspect. If you want someone to stop Higgins before the semis, he'd be your best bet.

Postby Wildey

Muppet147 wrote:Liang might have a chance because Higgins has been rubbish all season. But I'd be surprised if he lost over best of 19 frames.

Liang has been even More Rubbish all season Advantage Higgins.

Postby Roland

How many times has the defending champ gone out on the first day? I can think of:

1982 - Davis 1-10 Knowles
1986 - Taylor 6-10 Hallett
2000 - Hendry 6-10 Bingham
2011 - Robbo 8-10 Judd

Davis knocked Griff out in 1980 didn't he? Was that day 1 round 1?

Postby Roland

Muppet147 wrote:No, I think Davis played Griffiths in the second round because the score was 13-10.

It was prob a different format, starting with 24 matches or something? That wouldn't have been day 1 anyway so doesn't count.

Postby Skullman

Muppet147 wrote:
Smart wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:Okay, Gould isn't an underdog. But he's not a hot favourite like Bingham.

you bucking tw@t <ok> :wave:

Bingham will drill Hendry a new blue frog.

Keep your fantasies to yourself :limp:

Postby Smart

Muppet147 wrote:
Smart wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:
Smart wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:Okay, Gould isn't an underdog. But he's not a hot favourite like Bingham.

you bucking tw@t <ok> :wave:

Bingham will drill Hendry a new blue frog.

i hope that is the case, but you remain a bucking TW@t

You're a banker!

Yes <ok>

Postby jojo

is this the only year where former world champions are playing against each other in the first round ?

o sullivan v ebdon and robertson v doherty

cant remember it happening before jimmy v hendry springs to mind in 1998 but then you have to remind yourself jimmy never won the world championship

Postby Skullman

jojo wrote:is this the only year where former world champions are playing against each other in the first round ?

o sullivan v ebdon and robertson v doherty

cant remember it happening before jimmy v hendry springs to mind in 1998 but then you have to remind yourself jimmy never won the world championship

Dott vs Ebdon in 2010. Not sure if there are others. Will have to check.

Edit: Hendry vs Williams in 2009. The wonders of Wikipedia :bowdown: Found some more but I think that's enough examples, unless you really want to know all them.
Last edited by Skullman on 20 Apr 2012, edited 2 times in total.

Postby jojo

dott v ebdon knew there was one somewhere

obviously the o sullivan v ebdon match will be tasty but i expect ronnie to win and go on from strength to strength

smart i wouldnt worry about williams winning his first match because ronnie awaits in the next round