Topic locked

Re: Betfred.com World Qualifying Final Round !!!!!

Postby Smart

Muppet147 wrote:O'Sullivan's opponents were tougher. Mark Williams is a great player and I'm not convinced Robbo would have been able to beat him back then. Carter was in good form and made a 147 in the tournament.

Robbo had Feargal O'Brien, Martin Gould (to whom he nearly lost), a well-past-it Steve Davis, Ali Carter (who wasn't playing as well as he did in 2010) and Graeme Dott.

In any case, Ronnie's already proved himself by winning two other world titles.

Ronnie fanboy <ok>

Postby Wildey

Muppet147 wrote:O'Sullivan's opponents were tougher. Mark Williams is a great player and I'm not convinced Robbo would have been able to beat him back then. Carter was in good form and made a 147 in the tournament.

Robbo had Feargal O'Brien, Martin Gould (to whom he nearly lost), a well-past-it Steve Davis, Ali Carter (who wasn't playing as well as he did in 2010) and Graeme Dott.

In any case, Ronnie's already proved himself by winning two other world titles.

Mark Williams so great a past it Hendry beat him in 2009 <ok>

Postby Skullman

Anyway this whole easy draw thing is bull. If people don't discount Ronnie's third title due to an easy draw, why discount Robbo's? He had to beat five players and 71 frames like all the World Champions before him (except when the semis were bo31). Not Robbo or Ronnie's fault that they faced who they faced.

Postby snooky147

When Robertson came onto the circuit at first he was essentially brain dead......as a player that is and dropped off the tour. He, to his credit worked hard at his game, got back on and started to get results but when he played Graeme and lost 13-12 in the quarters of the Worlds he was still essentially the all out attacker. Now as he started to get results he realised that the all out attack policy does not always work. There needs to be a balance and in my opinion this is where Robertson, Selby,Ebdon etc get it all wrong, even though at the moment they are reaping the rewards for their success. They went completely the other way, from attacking to a solely defensive, negative state of mind and play. The first session of the 2010 WC was played at a nice pace but look at the other three sessions. This was because Neil slowed it down to a crawl. I don't say for a second it would have made a difference but in my view he recognised that he may have to grind it out and he Knew that that was the last thing Graeme wanted as Graeme had been on record previously saying he prefered the free flowing matches nowadays. So, Good on Neil for switching the tactics but it made for a crap final because it lost all pretence of fluency, but hey, who cares when you lift that trophy up right!!!!.

Postby Skullman

I dispute about Selby. The man's made 55 centuries this season, breaking the record again and has been playing very attacking recently. Robertson again has been quite attacking even if he isn't as fast as he was. Same with Ebdon. He's slow but not negative. Four centuries in a best of nineteen just a few weeks ago?

Postby Muppet147

Snooky, I agree Robbo's dull tactics ruined the final as a spectacle. Dott was actually playing some fine snooker throughout the tournament and would have been a more deserving champion. He beat Ebdon, Maguire, Allen and Selby on the way and knocked in a 146 break.

Postby Smart

snooky147 wrote:When Robertson came onto the circuit at first he was essentially brain dead......as a player that is and dropped off the tour. He, to his credit worked hard at his game, got back on and started to get results but when he played Graeme and lost 13-12 in the quarters of the Worlds he was still essentially the all out attacker. Now as he started to get results he realised that the all out attack policy does not always work. There needs to be a balance and in my opinion this is where Robertson, Selby,Ebdon etc get it all wrong, even though at the moment they are reaping the rewards for their success. They went completely the other way, from attacking to a solely defensive, negative state of mind and play. The first session of the 2010 WC was played at a nice pace but look at the other three sessions. This was because Neil slowed it down to a crawl. I don't say for a second it would have made a difference but in my view he recognised that he may have to grind it out and he Knew that that was the last thing Graeme wanted as Graeme had been on record previously saying he prefered the free flowing matches nowadays. So, Good on Neil for switching the tactics but it made for a crap final because it lost all pretence of fluency, but hey, who cares when you lift that trophy up right!!!!.

It was a dire final but in truth it was ruined by another Scotsman after a trip to the USSR. <ok>

Postby snooky147

Skullman wrote:I dispute about Selby. The man's made 55 centuries this season, breaking the record again and has been playing very attacking recently. Robertson again has been quite attacking even if he isn't as fast as he was. Same with Ebdon. He's slow but not negative. Four centuries in a best of nineteen just a few weeks ago?

Don't get me wrong, I like Selby when he is in attack mode, there are few more ruthless but when he goes into that nervy, hesitant defensive mode sometimes he is dire to watch. I am not against slow players by the way, I was brought up watching the slowest of them on TV. It's just that I would rather see positive safety rather than negative. I have had this arguement before you joined mate lol, so I'll stop there.

Postby Muppet147

Smart wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:Yeah, saying Trump has no flair is nonsense. He plays a lot of the sort of flair shots (usually when the frame is already won) that made Jimmy White such a popular player in the 1980s. While he may not be another Jimmy, he's surely one of the most talented players of his generation. Like Jimmy, Ronnie and Luca, he was a snooker prodigy and won amateur tournaments at a young age.

I'd say from watching couple of Luca matches he has more flair in his little right finger than Trump, Robbo and Wenny combined.

Luca :D

Manufactured lefties :td:

I agree with you about Luca. You are quite wrong about Trump though. He is one of the most talented players on the tour. <ok>

Postby Smart

Muppet147 wrote:
Smart wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:Yeah, saying Trump has no flair is nonsense. He plays a lot of the sort of flair shots (usually when the frame is already won) that made Jimmy White such a popular player in the 1980s. While he may not be another Jimmy, he's surely one of the most talented players of his generation. Like Jimmy, Ronnie and Luca, he was a snooker prodigy and won amateur tournaments at a young age.

I'd say from watching couple of Luca matches he has more flair in his little right finger than Trump, Robbo and Wenny combined.

Luca :D

Manufactured lefties :td:

I agree with you about Luca. You are quite wrong about Trump though. He is one of the most talented players on the tour. <ok>

You are getting me wrong. I am not saying Trump is not talented, but I see Luca and I am watching someone with real style (swagger, flair, nonchalance, arrogance).......and then I see Trump and it appears all effort and bash em up.

Luca pisses all over Trump in the flair stakes.

Say it as I see it. <ok>

Postby Smart

Put Trump in that same match situation vs Holty yesterday. He would of folded like a pack of cards (at the same age, or even last year before he started to get the results).

What did Luca do, not only did he not fold but he still played with style as he has all week.

CONCLUSION: Luca will win more than Trump and in a better fashion. <ok>

Postby Muppet147

Smart wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:Luca might go on to be more successful than Trump. You never know. I certainly hope he gets to the Crucible this year.

Just realised that I have nearly 16000 more posts than you. :wave:

Your posts were made in a weak era. :-)

Postby Alpha

This is my want list {in bold}

Doherty v Hamilton obviously
Dale v Woollaston not bothered
Walden v Jones
Mark Davis v Milkins not bothered
Day v Greene not bothered
Hendry v Yu Delu
Ford v Cao Yupeng
Fu v Jogia
King v Brecel
Campbell v Liang
O'Brien v Gilbert not bothered
Cope v Chuang either or
Hawkins v Morris
Higginson v Lines
Ebdon v Burden just so he can draw O'Sullivan and beat him again
Perryv Burnett not bothered

Postby Alpha

Smart wrote:
snooky147 wrote:When Robertson came onto the circuit at first he was essentially brain dead......as a player that is and dropped off the tour. He, to his credit worked hard at his game, got back on and started to get results but when he played Graeme and lost 13-12 in the quarters of the Worlds he was still essentially the all out attacker. Now as he started to get results he realised that the all out attack policy does not always work. There needs to be a balance and in my opinion this is where Robertson, Selby,Ebdon etc get it all wrong, even though at the moment they are reaping the rewards for their success. They went completely the other way, from attacking to a solely defensive, negative state of mind and play. The first session of the 2010 WC was played at a nice pace but look at the other three sessions. This was because Neil slowed it down to a crawl. I don't say for a second it would have made a difference but in my view he recognised that he may have to grind it out and he Knew that that was the last thing Graeme wanted as Graeme had been on record previously saying he prefered the free flowing matches nowadays. So, Good on Neil for switching the tactics but it made for a crap final because it lost all pretence of fluency, but hey, who cares when you lift that trophy up right!!!!.

It was a dire final but in truth it was ruined by another Scotsman after a trip to the USSR. <ok>

:hatoff:

Postby Smart

Muppet147 wrote:Are you having your usual vegetarian fry-up tomorrow?

currently I am sat watching the William Roache Piers Morgan interview with a bottle of cheap plonk, having had a roast pork curry from the local chinky.

Breakfast of the fried variety will happen this weekend, maybe tomorrow, maybe Sunday - it will come and I will enjoy every MEATY mouthful :D

Postby Smart

Muppet147 wrote:Ha! By coincidence, I am watching Piers Morgan - Bill Roache and also drinking a bottle of extremely cheap plonk. They do a deal in my local corner shop - two bottles of red wine for a fiver.

Surprisingly, drinkable!

he was quite a player old Bill, sowed his seeds all over :hatoff: