Topic locked

Re: Betfred.com World Qualifying Final Round !!!!!

Postby Andre147

gallantrabbit wrote:2 things to say about the qualifiers: Glad that Burnett lost, snooker doesn`t need him at the crucible. The other is that Alfie Burden should give up pro snooker. Please don`t tell me that Ebdon played well. I`m sure he did and losing to Peter Ebdon is no disgrace for anyone. But after beating Jaack Liwoski 10-3 you have proved you are quite a player...and you can`t even win 1 in 19??? Sorry no heart, no guts, no place in pro sport. Go do someting else Alfie.

I don't think you should be too harsh on him.. whitewashes can happen more easily than you know... A player just doesn't seem to get the run of the ball and everything goes against him, plus he starts missing easy balls and his opponent grows in confidence, even if he isnt playing well.

Anthony Mcgill also whitewashed Adam Wicheard in this years Worlds qualifiers mate, and that doesn't mean Adam is a bad player or, even worse, should quit snooker. Things like that can happen, very rarely is a fact, but they do happen.

Alfie Burden is the same, he just had a bad day. Although Alfie himself has admited he sould have gone to football as he is quite a good footballer, but still that doesnt mean that he should quit snooker just because he got whitewashed. He played well against Lisowski yes, but another day is another day, a different match is a diferent match. Imagine if all players who have been whitewashed retired... rofl rofl rofl <doh> <doh> <doh>

Postby vodkadiet

Muppet147 wrote:I remember when a young Hendry got through to the telly stages and played Willie Thorne. I wouldn't write off Luca. But even if he doesn't get through, he will give a good account of himself.

Hopefully L:iang Wenbo will get a good draw and can get through to the second round.

Exciting times.

Luca will be younger than Hendry, when Hendry made his debut.

Great effort from someone from outside the UK.

Postby JIMO96

My analysis of the qualifiers, plus "danger" ratings (out of 10):

Doherty: showed some class against Hamilton, 3 tons plus a pressurized steal at the end. But tbh Doherty is right at home against a fellow scrapper. Wants to draw: Selby, Robertson, Dott; Wants to avoid: Trump, Allen, O'Sullivan.................4

Davis: destined to finish the season 17th or lower....or is he? Could this be the tournament that yields his breakthrough? Davis has been very relaxed about what must have been a frustrating season for him (by constantly falling short of the 16). Wants to draw: Carter, Gould, Stevens; Wants to avoid: Higgins, Williams, O'Sullivan..................6

Jones: living proof that you CAN make the top 32 within 2 seasons, big well done to him and totally deserved. Its always tricky trying to judge Crucible debutants, he'll want to avoid someone with an "old pro" approach, but if he settles quickly could do some damage. Wants to draw: Stevens, Gould; Wants to avoid: any of the top 10.......................5

Cao: the real unknown quantity in the draw, players like him are dangerous, and rarely disgrace themselves on snookers biggest stage (see Anda Zhang, Tai Pichit, Liang Wenbo...). Wants to draw: won't care..........................8

Liu: I tipped him on another thread as a qualifier all the seeds want to avoid, and stick by that. Looked a polished player this week by all accounts and will fear nobody. Wants to draw: anyone not on their A game; Wants to avoid: won't care..........................9

Day: Was woeful against Williams last year, and he's not out of that slump yet. One of the easier draws for the seeds. Wants to draw: one of the Crucible canteen staff; Wants to avoid: all of the top 16..................2

Hendry: People are talking up Hendrys chances this year, but I don't go along with that. Yes, his attitude to qualifying has been exemplary and he's dished out some beatings, but the lack of a run in a ranking event, and the likelihood of regular defeats to top 10 players takes some of his edge away. Will only beat a top 16 debutant in my eyes, or Mark Williams. Wants to draw: Gould, Bingham, Williams Wants to avoid: the rest of them......................6

Liang: Will still be a bag of nerves after nearly capitulating yesterday, and won't be as tough a draw as he was 3 or 4 seasons ago. Will sparkle in the odd frame, but don't see him doing much else. Hope I'm wrong. Wants to draw: Someone with a very open approach (Murphy, Allen perhaps. Trump?); Wants to avoid: anyone who'll tie him up or who are up for a scrap (Lee, Selby, Dott).......................4

Brecel: Echoes of Hendry in 1986, a chillingly similar qualifying route. Hendry lost to Thorne back then, hope Brecel doesn't suffer the same fate (who would be the 2012 equivalent of Thorne? Stevens maybe?). NOBODY will want to draw Luca, unless they relish exploiting youthful inexperience...good luck there boys lol. Wants to draw: anybody; Wants to avoid: nobody..........................9

Fu: Usually has one good tournament a season, I'm not sure he'll do any damage here though unless he draws a top player and they bring the best out in him. Wants to draw: Trump, Selby, Ding; Wants to avoid: Gould, Carter, Dott..........................5

Hawkins: Top 16 quality, if not in actual ranking terms, this is another tough draw for any seed. Hugely impressive scoring yesterday and obviously in form. Wants to draw: probably not bothered; Wants to avoid: Higgins, Selby, Robertson.....................8

Dale: Will need to be in "blitzing" mode if he's to progress, we all know he's capable of that, but too often we see the other Dale turn up. There's no David Grays for you here mate. Wants to draw: Carter, Stevens, Bingham; Wants to avoid: Maguire, Allen, Ding.................4

Perry: Polished, consistent pro who all the seeds will need to raise their game against. Is more likely to shock a top 10 player than someone battling for their top 16 place. Wants to draw: Ding, Maguire, Robertson; Wants to avoid: Bingham, Gould, Carter........................7

Ebdon: Cream of the crop, bang in form and overflowing with confidence. Has proved very recently that no player represents a fearsome obstacle. Only one negative here....I've always thought players who rely heavily on their concentration powers can't stay on form forever, so is still capable of an off day from out of the blue. Can't see it though. Wants to draw: All of them! COME ON!!......................9.5

Higginson: A player who deserves at least one spell in the top 16, but there's only one way he'll do that at the Crucible, and that's to draw you-know-who. There'll be no better time to get revenge for Germany my friend. Wants to draw: O'Sullivan; Wants to avoid: after last months hammering, Trump....................6

Gilbert: This time last week he was being accused of match throwing FFS! Has blown that theory out of the water with some superb scoring, particularly in second sessions. With that in mind, a player who can't get over the line might be his best chance of progression. Wants to draw: Stevens, , Gould; Wants to avoid: a fellow heavy scorer (Trump, O'Sullivan, Higgins, Selby etc etc....)........................4

Postby Wildey

Bottom line is if you got ambition you dont give a toss who you play id rather play Ronnie in the first round rather than the final get him out of the way early.

as a hendry fan harder the draw the better as far as im concerened it focuses the mind from the off.

Postby JIMO96

Wild wrote:Bottom line is if you got ambition you dont give a toss who you play id rather play Ronnie in the first round rather than the final get him out of the way early.

as a hendry fan harder the draw the better as far as im concerened it focuses the mind from the off.

Correct, thats why I said that about Higginson. I hope you're right about Hendry, I'd love him to take out a big hitter like Selby or Murphy in round 1.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:Bottom line is if you got ambition you dont give a toss who you play id rather play Ronnie in the first round rather than the final get him out of the way early.

I don't think Hendry wants to draw Ronnie though ...

Postby Roland

gallantrabbit wrote:2 things to say about the qualifiers: Glad that Burnett lost, snooker doesn`t need him at the crucible. The other is that Alfie Burden should give up pro snooker. Please don`t tell me that Ebdon played well. I`m sure he did and losing to Peter Ebdon is no disgrace for anyone. But after beating Jaack Liwoski 10-3 you have proved you are quite a player...and you can`t even win 1 in 19??? Sorry no heart, no guts, no place in pro sport. Go do someting else Alfie.

Blimey that's a bit harsh! Ebdon did play very well, he was different class to most all week.

Postby daraghj82

delighted stephen got through considering lu is a decent player. was hoping morris and fergal would qualify. i thought fergal had a good chance of going through against gilbert.

i hope stephen gets a nice first round draw. glad for luca, what a story and who knows who he could draw. can't wait for the draw later on today

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:2 things to say about the qualifiers: Glad that Burnett lost, snooker doesn't need him at the crucible. The other is that Alfie Burden should give up pro snooker. Please don`t tell me that Ebdon played well. I`m sure he did and losing to Peter Ebdon is no disgrace for anyone. But after beating Jaack Liwoski 10-3 you have proved you are quite a player...and you can`t even win 1 in 19??? Sorry no heart, no guts, no place in pro sport. Go do something else Alfie.

Blimey that's a bit harsh! Ebdon did play very well, he was different class to most all week.

as well as Ebdon played he was nowhere even close to being 10-0 better than Burden the chances Burden got he should have done better with them to at least put Ebdon under some pressure to reach the crucible it just never happened and Ebdon strolled it.

Postby Wildey

daraghj82 wrote:delighted stephen got through considering lu is a decent player. was hoping morris and fergal would qualify. i thought fergal had a good chance of going through against gilbert.

i hope stephen gets a nice first round draw. glad for luca, what a story and who knows who he could draw. can't wait for the draw later on today

see i dont get this Draw Buisness.

Seeds are at their most vulnerable first Round lets knock them out early and win the tournament thats how players should aproach matches not think ohhh ive got a tough one,dont want him etc etc.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:
daraghj82 wrote:delighted stephen got through considering lu is a decent player. was hoping morris and fergal would qualify. i thought fergal had a good chance of going through against gilbert.

see i dont get this Draw Buisness.

Seeds are at their most vulnerable first Round lets knock them out early and win the tournament thats how players should aproach matches not think ohhh ive got a tough one,dont want him etc etc.

If the top seeds are most vulnerable first round why have Ronnie and Higgins lost there only 2 (!) times in their entire career?