Topic locked

Re: Betfred.com World Championship Qualifying !!!!!

Postby SnookerFan

Muppet147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I didn't see the incident, but sounds like the referee was at fault more than anybody?

Is this a fair comment?

Holt kept pestering the ref, telling him where to put the balls. Glad he lost.

I don't like Michael Holt since he had that attack at fans over Twitter.

Postby SnookerFan

Muppet147 wrote:Don't remember that. I wanted him to lose anyway, before the incident. Think Luca Brecel has his work cut out against King but it's certainly not beyond him.

I can't remember exactly what was said now, but he had a pop at Matt from Pro Snooker Blog, for no reason at all. Matt had made a very fair comment, which basically just acknowledged that Holt was playing, without saying anything pro- or anti-Holt and Michael bit his head off.

Quite a few people made comment, and said Michael was unfair. And instead of making any attempt at clarifying or apologising for his remark, Holt just opened up and started slagging off snooker fans and saying that as they weren't permitted an opinion on something they don't play professionally.

Point is, he's a tit.

Postby Skullman

SnookerFan wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:Don't remember that. I wanted him to lose anyway, before the incident. Think Luca Brecel has his work cut out against King but it's certainly not beyond him.

I can't remember exactly what was said now, but he had a pop at Matt from Pro Snooker Blog, for no reason at all. Matt had made a very fair comment, which basically just acknowledged that Holt was playing, without saying anything pro- or anti-Holt and Michael bit his head off.

Quite a few people made comment, and said Michael was unfair. And instead of making any attempt at clarifying or apologising for his remark, Holt just opened up and started slagging off snooker fans and saying that as they weren't permitted an opinion on something they don't play professionally.

Point is, he's a tit.

I thought it was because Matt had said Maguire has struggled against top players until recently (which he had) and then Holt had a go at him, even though Matt was complementing Maguire for his performance.

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:
I thought it was because Matt had said Maguire has struggled against top players until recently (which he had) and then Holt had a go at him, even though Matt was complementing Maguire for his performance.

That's right. I remember now. And he kept going on about how he was a player, so his opinion was right over everybody elses.

Sad thing is, I used to like Michael Holt up until that point.

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:Lots of twitter debate going on about the miss incident in the Holt v Luca game at 9-8. My first impression was along with other people that Holt got involved and influenced the ref to replace the balls differently to how they first landed, mainly that the black was further from the cushion therefore a shot was on to Luca that he played for but later wasn't on. But now I see the clip again I'm pretty sure this is the first time Luca hit the black (first shot of the clip) and the incident that followed was the one that people complained about and you can see the black was very close to the cushion from the off. Final proof would be confirmation by way of a clip that showed it from the initial Holt shot.

does not get away from the fact that Holt was trying his level best to gain an advantage by leaning on Big Pete, knowing full well that Luca a) spoke little English and b) was young and might not stick up for himself in that difficult scenario.

Holty :td: :wave:

Postby Roland

Another twist. It turns out we were right all along. The above youtube clip is NOT from the first time Luca hit the black. Watch this from 1:03:30 to see Holt's shot, that there was room around the black and that he nudged it futher from the cushion.

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/C2ZtQ7ePKow/

Postby Smart

Wild wrote:i cant believe some people used michaels age to have a go sod that bullocks they two players wanting to win a match if the ref called a miss balls are replaced without any hesitation it was such a hard shot to play and free points was available.

i do think though it was such a hard shot that there was one atempt that should have been accepted as good enough and no miss called.

refs are there to referee and there must be some leniancy regarding difficulty of a shot and discretion used by the ref.

it seemes to me anything short of hitting a ball on is called a miss automatically without any second thought whitch cant be right.

thbe shot that initially Luca was trying to play was simply not on IMHO, but he kep trying it and kept getting called miss, so then he changed his shot choice and eventually got it. Thats what happened - however what also happened was the subsequent replacing of the balls by Big Pete. No disrespect to Big Pete but whether he got them back right or wrong is not a problem, its the outside influence of Holt that I did not think was right. He seemed (and I recall commenting at the time) to be trying to boss Big Pete. In fairness to Luca he kept remarkably calm in this situation and the escape when it eventually came was a helluva shot, incredible hit.

I loved Lucas reaction at the end almost mocking Holty - the kid at age 17 is very impressive, huge talent and such a nice cue action and manner round the table. Luca - please win vs MAK <ok>

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:Another twist. It turns out we were right all along. The above youtube clip is NOT from the first time Luca hit the black. Watch this from 1:03:30 to see Holt's shot, that there was room around the black and that he nudged it futher from the cushion.

and that explains why he took the ball out of the pocket to use as a demonstrator as his English could probably not say "there was a bucking gap PETE !!" rofl

Postby Skullman

Sonny wrote:Another twist. It turns out we were right all along. The above youtube clip is NOT from the first time Luca hit the black. Watch this from 1:03:30 to see Holt's shot, that there was room around the black and that he nudged it futher from the cushion.

Thought so. Holt can say all he wants but it seemed pretty obvious at the time he was trying to influence the ref. I think he tried to do it in the decider as well when he was stuck behind the green as well.

Postby simplysnooker

what language is it Sonny? Noticed there are quite a few matches on there.

Postby Wildey

just looked at that TBH the initial shot from brecel was pretty easy god knows why he was playing it with side it looked a natrual

the second atempt was harder because the white was too near the cush and well third atempt was even harder and from there it went tits up