Topic locked

Re: The main contenders for this years Worlds ?

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Any gamblers in the house? Out of curiousity, have the odds been announced, or do they not announce them until after the qualifiers have been announced?

the odds for the World 2012 been out since may 2011 lol

of course its changed a bit by now

Sky Bet has Judd Trump as 9/2 Fave with Ronnie second and Selby third.

http://www.skybet.com/snooker/world-cha ... t/12928080

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Any gamblers in the house? Out of curiousity, have the odds been announced, or do they not announce them until after the qualifiers have been announced?

the odds for the World 2012 been out since may 2011 lol

of course its changed a bit by now

Sky Bet has Judd Trump as 9/2 Fave with Ronnie second and Selby third.

http://www.skybet.com/snooker/world-cha ... t/12928080

I thought they might have. rofl But don't gamble much, and can't access betting sites at work.

Postby SnookerFan

"Sky Bet has Judd Trump as 9/2 Fave with Ronnie second and Selby third."

:chin:

What do you make of that Mr. Wild? Despite his much discussed records in finals, I have Selby more of a favourite than Ronnie.

Is Judd the favourite? I'd have perhaps agreed after York, but think people are slowly raising their game against him. Not that he doesn't have a good chance.

Postby Wildey

id make Ronnie slight outsider of the main contestants but very capable.

he won in Germany but that was a condensed Event over 5 Days and it appeals to Ronnie not having to wait long between Matches or Sessions.

The World is totally different I'm not at all convinced he can hold concentration and will to win over that distance however i do think his Love for snooker is there again and will be giving his all to be Champion again.

Postby daraghj82

trump, selby, robertson, higgins, murphy.

dark horses: ronnie, dott, maguire.

shot in the dark: stephen hendry !!! anyway
i hope he and jimmy can get through the qualifiers along with
davis

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:"Sky Bet has Judd Trump as 9/2 Fave with Ronnie second and Selby third."

What do you make of that Mr. Wild? Despite his much discussed records in finals, I have Selby more of a favourite than Ronnie.

Is Judd the favourite? I'd have perhaps agreed after York, but think people are slowly raising their game against him. Not that he doesn't have a good chance.

mate you havent a scooby do the way the bookies work.

Judd will prob be fave for the Worlds for years to come now just cos hes the Peoples Champion and the one who the masses will be backing and willing to win, similar to Ronnie who was fave for the Worlds by a long way with the bookies for about the last 10 years, despite the formbook, state of mind etc suggesting that wasnt the case.

Id rate Trump just slighly ahead of Selby. Infact heres my faves if i was pricing it up based on a combination of form, experience etc.

this is just the top 16 ive priced up at the mo.

Trump 5/1
Selby 6/1
Higgins 7/1
Ronnie 8/1
Jono 9/1
Ding 12/1
Allen 14/1
Murphy 16/1
Williams 20/1
Dott 22/1
Maguire 25/1
Lee 40/1
Carter 100/1
Stevens 125/1
Bingham 150/1
Gould 150/1

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:so what your saying was Hendry in the 90s had more suport than Jimmy then ?????????????

no back then the bookies rightly had Hendry for favourite as he was winning it every year and was superior to the rest of the field just like Schumacher was always F1 fave, Taylors darts WC fave at the peak of their respective careers.

However during the more competitive 2000s when there was no real dominant player that was a cert to win it, thought there was a few notable candidates like Ronnie, then Ronnies popularity with punters meant they had to keep his odds low to cover potential liabilities.

Similar even this year with him being 2nd favourite still.

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:"Sky Bet has Judd Trump as 9/2 Fave with Ronnie second and Selby third."

mate you havent a scooby do the way the bookies work.

Judd will prob be fave for the Worlds for years to come now just cos hes the Peoples Champion and the one who the masses will be backing and willing to win, similar to Ronnie who was fave for the Worlds by a long way with the bookies for about the last 10 years, despite the formbook, state of mind etc suggesting that wasnt the case.

Id rate Trump just slighly ahead of Selby. Infact heres my faves if i was pricing it up based on a combination of form, experience etc.

this is just the top 16 ive priced up at the mo.

Trump 5/1
Selby 6/1
Higgins 7/1
Ronnie 8/1
Jono 9/1
Ding 12/1
Allen 14/1
Murphy 16/1
Williams 20/1
Dott 22/1
Maguire 25/1
Lee 40/1
Carter 100/1
Stevens 125/1
Bingham 150/1
Gould 150/1

I would be all over Williams if he were 20-1. If he beat Ronnie in the second round he would be the favourite to reach the final.

Postby Witz78

Williams is in severe decline

his attitude is a joke again and hes heading for a fall

hes had his Indian Summer and will now fall again and be alongside likes of Hendry, Ebdon and Doherty in the rankings

he could have had a great haul in the last few years but bottled 4 or 5 finals and big games

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:mate you havent a scooby do the way the bookies work.

Kind of why I asked. And good point about Judd. :hatoff:

Postby The Cueist

Muppet147 wrote:Higgins
O'Sullivan
Trump

And Selby is deffo in there,A good exponent of the game and very experienced.

Ding ,Only if he can keep his concentration levels up.

A llen is starting to string quality frames together.

Stephen Lee ,If he could stop choking frames he has won could go far.

Murphy,Always a danger if he gets his cue arm going.

Postby Roland

There's a big difference between the Worlds and these events going on now. Lee is on a great run of form, plus his extra cue power is helping him on the slower tables but a whole different level of stamina is required at the Crucible. He usually gets as far as the quarter-finals and runs out of gas.

Postby Skullman

Lee won't win the title. His good form has to run out eventually, and over the long format people can come back at him. Plus, as people have pointed out, his stamina isn't the greatest, and if he hasn't managed to do it before in his prime years, I don't see him doing it now. He's 37 now, When was the last time,if ever, someone that old was a first time winner of the Worlds? Reardon?

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Lee won't win the title. His good form has to run out eventually, and over the long format people can come back at him. Plus, as people have pointed out, his stamina isn't the greatest, and if he hasn't managed to do it before in his prime years, I don't see him doing it now. He's 37 now, When was the last time,if ever, someone that old was a first time winner of the Worlds? Reardon?

Yup in 1970 Reardon was 37 or 38 Winning for the First Time....the Next Oldest first time Winner since then was Dennis Taylor in 1985 he was 36

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Lee won't win the title. His good form has to run out eventually, and over the long format people can come back at him. Plus, as people have pointed out, his stamina isn't the greatest, and if he hasn't managed to do it before in his prime years, I don't see him doing it now. He's 37 now, When was the last time,if ever, someone that old was a first time winner of the Worlds? Reardon?

I honestly can see Lee getting to the quarters this year, where he would likely face Judd and therefore would lose from there. He has a potencial match in the 2nd round with Murphy, but on his current form I think he can get past him...

His main problem though, as I said in another post, is his lack of consistency over the longer matches, and the stamina required for them.. The shorter format in the Grand Finals definately helped his cause, and I think if it had been a best of 17 or 19 final Lee could have lost against Robbo, but could also have won that too anyway..

Over the long haul, and also because of his weight, it hinders his consistency a little bit, and you can clearly see that he sweats a lot at the latter stages of longer matches, especially at the crucible.. I dont agree when you say that if he didnt win it when he was younger, he cant also now, a lot older... He definately can win the Worlds, but because he lacks consistency in his game overall in the longer formats, I cant see it happening. And like jojo said, he could win every tournament in the season, and I still wouldnt fancy him for the Worlds..

The World Championhip is a totally different tournament to the rest, thats why it is the best tournament and that´s why only those who can keep their consistency over 17 days win the World title, and like Clive everton rightly says (hope I didnt misunderstood his words) the Crucible is the true test of your skill, and, most importantly, your mind.

Postby nice_shoes_ken

It's anybody's game in my opinion, the Crucible is simply unknown. We have had upsets down the years, we have had surprise winners in Murphy and Dott, and we have had players take centre stage like a duck to water i.e Mark Allen and Judd Trump in the past one or two World Championships.

Stephen Lee is one if not the in form player going into the World Championships, but like others have mentioned will the longer format be a struggle for him, we saw him storm through Haikou only to get thrashed 10-1 by Mark Allen in the final. Lee has been incredible this season over four-five frames, but longer formats first to six or 10, he has struggled. Getting beat at the UK Championship by Ricky Walden and getting hammered in a ranking event final doesn't bond well.

Players might well come into form at the World Championships, Graeme Dott hasn't had the best season yet he always seems to pull something out of the bag at the Crucible. His displays at the Sheffield in recent years have been a joy to watch, the passion he shows and the attacking side of his game which he has been able to produce, in the last couple of years have taken the Crucible alight. His is bunched together with two fellow Scots aswell, one in John Higgins who is off form, and the other being Maguire who is finding consistency again.

Murphy aswell has been very up and down again, yet he knows how to win on the big stage and could well be a danger. Mark Allen has had a fantastic season and looks very dangerous, Trump yet again could cause some entertainment shockwaves, while we don't know which O'Sullivan will turn up at the Crucible, can he produce his best or will he crumble again?

Ding Junhui is another one, he had his first good run at the Crucible last year, and looked pretty comfortable. It's only a matter of time that he gets to grips with the World Championships, and goes on and wins it. You never know he is very capable, maybe this could be his year. Finally the qualifiers are probably the strongest we have had for years, with big names being involved like Ebdon, Hendry, Fu and the dangerous duo of Hawkins and Walden who overall have played very good Snooker this season.

I can see this year's World Championships being a complete unknown, in a matter of fact it could well be the best World Snooker Championship for some time. The seeds are strong and the qualifiers are strong, I am excited already!!!

Postby Roland

Every year everyone says it's the most open it's been for years and could be the best ever World Championship, in fact last year that's what people said and it was a great tournament last year. Only a month to go and for me the winner will come from:

Robbo
Selby
Allen
Ding
Higgins

Yep that's right, I'm writing off every other player including O'Sullivan and Trump.

Postby Casey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Favourites updated after the PTC Grand Final:

1. Robbo (+1)
2. Ding (+2)
3. Trump (-2)
4. Selby (+1)
5. Ronnie (-2)
6. Allen (0)
7. Higgins (0)
8. Lee (new)
9. Murphy (-1)
10. Maguire (-1)

I would agree with that - only I would have Higgins at 6 and Allen at 7 - Higgins has a quarter of the draw that would suit him better than Allen.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Every year everyone says it's the most open it's been for years and could be the best ever World Championship, in fact last year that's what people said and it was a great tournament last year. Only a month to go and for me the winner will come from:

Robbo
Selby
Allen
Ding
Higgins

Yep that's right, I'm writing off every other player including O'Sullivan and Trump.

i wouldnt write off O'Sullivan or Trump and your right the List you say is the players i think will do it...

Higgins hasent played well at all this season with only 7 Quarter Finals,3 Semi Final and 1 Final reached in 20 events but at the Crucible hes always a Danger.